Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - sargan

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento ... a great car, and when underway also a good tow car ... self levelling suspension really does teh job, no snaking or pitching from trailer.

However there is a major issue that questions this SUV's capabilty as a Tow Car under 2 scenarios, exacerbated by there being no Low Ratio option which would greatly assist 'pull away' under load.

# 1 I tow a 2.2 Tonne fully loaded boat trailer ...

On a slipway when recovering boat ... the Sorento struggles to pull away and there is a terrible smell of burning clutch, which last for a very long times. Using Diff Lock makes no difference.

This is a concrete slip, not mud or sand.

#2 When trying to reverse the twin axle trailer up a slight slope (~2% gradient) again there is a serious smell of burning clutch. I know a twin axle trailer puts more load on car when turning doe to one set of tyres crabbing, but a large 4x4 SUV should be able to take this with ease.

This is not inexperience on driver, I have been towing boats for 30 years, and this has never been an issue on any other 4x4.

This has been inspected by dealer and the response is that "this is due to the Dual Mass Flywheel." they slip, and that causes the burning smell.

So I just took a few minutes of my time to Google this ... there are hundreds of complaints worldwide, reporting serious clutch/DM flywheel slip ... and several very expensive failures.

This has been reported to KIA by several UK KIA owners .. and the response each time from Kia customer service is " I can assure you we have had no known complaint regarding the clutches we have fitted to our Sorento’s."

I would willingly help Kia investigate this issue and be happy to have a formal Technical/Engineering test with my trailer attached .. however all they offer is a dealer inspection (with now trailer attached) ... and as mentioned above they just advise working as designed.

This seems like a significant flaw in design, and Kia don't want to do anything about it.

They used to be Low Ratio box on older models, now there is push button electric diff lock, but this does not help with the issue.

Be interested in any comments ?

Edited by sargan on 23/05/2014 at 15:47

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - Cyd

Perhaps you should choose something a bit more "home grown" for this kind of use. A certain British manufacturer of 4x4s has this kind of use covered by internal Engineering Standards and actually tests it's vehicles under arduous conditions with a heavy trailer attached. There's a reason they are popular with the "horsey set".

Landrover are too expensive for me ... and 90% or use is for Motorway crusing with no trailer, and mpg of the Landrover range is pretty attrocious.

I'll admit I'd like a Range Rover Vogue - but too expensive for me.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - madf

I tow a 2.2 Tonne fully loaded boat trailer

And you seiously expect the maker of a vehicle not designed to do this regualrly to assist you?

When trying to reverse the twin axle trailer up a slight slope (~2% gradient) again there is a serious smell of burning clutch

I used to drive a caravan: normal with abuse and any car reversing up a slope.

My view is the use you are putting the car to is abuse. I expect Kia not to be interested.

As above, buy a BIG LandRover.

Edited by madf on 24/05/2014 at 07:42

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - christo

It all sounds a bit much for the Sorento, you have to be very careful about weights of trailers or caravns that you are are towing and the specified 'nosewight' (downward weight on your towbar) actually is. Refer to your vehicles handbook for further information, 2.2 tonnes is a heavy trailer and you may experience towing problems and the old 'tail wagging the dog' scenario, especially at speed.

The model that you have is important and there is much information online. Have a look at

www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp?make=Kia&m...o

You may well find that you are exceeding the vehicles capacities for towing and you need to go for a heavier, more powerful vehicle, as others have suggested.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - galileo

The model that you have is important and there is much information online. Have a look at

www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp?make=Kia&m...o

You may well find that you are exceeding the vehicles capacities for towing and you need to go for a heavier, more powerful vehicle, as others have suggested.

Maximum towing weights for current 2.2 Sorento, per Kia website, are 2500Kg for manual and 2000Kg for auto versions, both on 17" wheels. 2.2 tons is thus very near maximum for a manual Sorento.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - gordonbennet

You mentioned about low range, and thats exactly what you need, a 4x4 with low range designed for more industrial use, you are having to abuse the vehicle to force it to do something it was plainly not designed for, i'd be more surprised if the clutch wasn't disintegrating.

There's good reason makers of these vehicle use bigger engines, often 3 litre 4 cyl units (Toyota especially) its because they offer massive low engine speed torque, coupled with gearboxes with low range they will pull this sort of weight with no clutch slip.

Low range in itself isn't the answer to everything, you can't start off in low range and change up to high, it doesn't work that way, you have to come to a stop once out on level ground, select high and restart again for normal cruising speeds, for serious towing you still need large cylinders to get things moving competently, 500/550cc per cyl is simply not enough.

We also don't know how steep the slipways are - this could be adding considerably to the loads on the tow vehicle.

Also the trailer may be part submerged and having to be pulled out of water, again adding to the load.

The kia clearly isn't up to it !!

Trade in and get something more capable before you wreck it and incur large repair bills.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - SteveLee

Anyone using a manual for this kind of work (unless low range is available) needs their head testing. KIA SUVs are lifestyle vehicles - not proper 4x4s.

If owning a Land Rover scares you, then something like a Ssangyong Rexton is a cheap and very capable tow car designed from the outset to tow - just as big Land Rovers are.

The angle of the launch slip at steepest is 9 degrees (1 in 6.3 or 15.8% gradient)

Many hills in UK exceed this ...

I have also carried out testes on same sklip with no water ... and same resuklt terrible smell of burning clutch.

I have the 2,2 TDI Sorento .... this is stated as 2.5Ton Tow capacity for a braked trailer4.

My all up tow weight is just under 2.2T so welll under maximum, and even under the Caravan clun 80% recommendtaion.

How can this be abuse ?

The car is rated for 2.5T^ Tow Capacity and I'm towing werll under that limit.

KIA are interested (see later post)

I'll give an update ...

I am not a farmer, I don't tow daily, and don't tow in muddy fields (although caravaners would of course) ....

The 2013 KIA is rated at 2.5T Tow capacity, I am towing 2.2 T. so all within limits and Caravan Club recommendations.

The problem exists on effectively a concrete hill of 9 degrees .... it would be absurd to think that the car should be incapable of a hill start on such a hill.

It is surprising that some of you feel that you have to have LandRover to be able to do this.

In any event KIA have shown interest, and have recently sent an Engineer from the UK Engineering team to investigate.

The problem was demonstrated to him (at the slipway), he tried it several times himself, and the car then went with him for 2 dyas, had then had its transmission stripped down ... clutch sent off to European Quality Centre for further examination, they found no fault with the clutch and now are investigation next steps for solution.

There are some comments on US forums that Dual Mass Flywheels are the cause, the 'soft start' capability and softer linings allowing clutch slip.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - Kiaboy

I am surprised at some of the comments here, (must be a LR club) lol, as this vehicle is not suitable for the weight being pulled, as Sargan is within the max towing weight of 2,500 Kg and the incline of the slip is considered reasonable (by Kia).

I have a 2013 KX2 Manual Sorento with 3,500 miles it was bought to tow a caravan of Max 1700Kg after reading the Kia paperwork and speaking with the Kia dealer, no mention was ever made that this car would not tow the caravan I had, so I went a head and bought it in good faith.

Whilst driving onto a flat grass caravan site following a 2000 Vectra estate towing a caravan about the same weight as mine, he managed to negotiate the site and pitch onto his levelling block, I then set up next to him and after reversing on to a 2 " wooden block of wood, my clutch smelt that bad it lasted 3 hours, after leaving the bonnet open. I then arrived home and reversed the caravan onto my drive again about 3" ramp height of pavement onto my drive again a very heavy smell of clutch smell. Kia are investigating this, I have also reviewed some comments on the Santa Fe forums and there are the same comments there. Kia need to review the design of this clutch as it is certainly not capable as it is at the moment to tow anything.

At least Kia are now saying they agree that the clutch will smell when reversing or towing uphill, which is more than the usual "no faults" reported or found answers we have been getting, we just need them to get a fix out and quick.

Doesn't anyone test drive a vehicle any more, you don't need to tow something, just drive and reverse it up a steepish incline a few times....on tickover that is...if a 4x4 you intend to use for towing can't easily move away and climb an incline on tickover it will be as much use as a chocolate teapot for towing requiring precise manoeuvers, it'll do it of course if you rev it enough to get the turbo going on a basically undersized engine and slip the clutch, which is exactly what posters here are doing and wondering why it stinks.

Far too many modern 4x4's have too high first and reverse gears, in many (surprising) cases the vehicles need locking in low range to even get them onto a transporter gently, such is the lack of tickover torque of the engines.

I'm not a LR fan though thankfully the real ones made inthe midlands still have low range (and they need it), but i found Toyotas to be in a different league completely for this, and many other aspects, test drive and try and stall a manual Landcruiser, even the standard 3 litre 4 pot, almost impossible, it will climb walls on tickover.

gordonbennet

I did test drive the car (not the actual one as it was still on the boat) and driving the way you suggest would not bring this problem to a head,

The clutch smell only happens when you tow, driving solo no matter how you drive shows no problems. I do hope this is understood by all who are reading this topic before commenting.

The clutch smell only happens when you tow, driving solo no matter how you drive shows no problems. I do hope this is understood by all who are reading this topic before commenting.

Right so you engage the clutch at tickover revs to push your van back yet the clutch slips...no throttle input at all required to provoke clutch slip?

Right so you engage the clutch at tickover revs to push your van back yet the clutch slips...no throttle input at all required to provoke clutch slip?

My car stalls on tick over when you try it, when towing so no smell.

My car stalls on tick over when you try it, when towing so no smell.

I tried to explain this before, but obviously didn't, as usual with me, a substantial 4x4 tow car weighing the best part of two tons should be able to manoeuver a towed trailer of equal weight up at least a reasonable slope on tickover only, that includes getting it moving from rest.

This is what i meant by the lack of engine torque earlier in the thread, and IMO its either the lack of CC's per cylinder the problem here or the design doesn't have anti stall overfuelling programmed in, it simply shouldn't stall.

If you tried the same with a 3 litre 4 pot Landruiser/Hilux, it would push that caravan up a serious slope and still refuse to stall, it was virtually impossible to deliberately stall my old Landruiser with that engine at all, it would push walls over first.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - Manatee

>>or the design doesn't have anti stall overfuelling programmed in, it simply shouldn't stall.

Possibly the opposite - DMF protection may be kicking in to prevent damage. Load at low revs is unlikely to be good for a DMF.

I'm guessing the Outlander has this - it's quite difficult to start off at idle, and it stalls almost immediately the load comes on as if it's pre-empting any clutch control.

In the predecessor diesel CRV I had a habit of setting off on tickover before picking up the revs, so when I chnaged to the Outlander I must have satlled a dozen times in the first week.

I tow a caravan with the Outlander but I never reverse uphill unless there's absolutely no alternative. The gear is too high anyway to let the clutch in fully when you can't see behind, and putting enough power through a slipping clutch to shove 3 tonnes uphill the burning smell is never far away. I unhitch and use the mover.

Not perfect but you have to use what you've got. Sounds as if even that may be impossible with the new Sorento with a heavy boat on a steep slipway.

To me the pulling away & up hill under load at tickover is meaningless for the Sorento.

If I try to pull away with trailer attached on a hill, it needs a lot of throttle to get it moving and to keep it moving, with clutch fully let out I have to almost floor the throttle to keep it moving, once above walking pace the revs can be dropped and it will keep pulling at low speeed.

If I simply let clutch out at tickover it will satll ... no question of that ... it has stalled often enough with a fair ammmount of throttle applied.

To me the pulling away & up hill under load at tickover is not relevant for the Sorento.

If I try to pull away with boat attached on a hill, it needs a lot of throttle to get it moving and to keep it moving, with clutch fully let out I have to almost floor the throttle to keep it moving, once above walking pace the revs can be dropped and it will keep pulling at low speeed.

If I simply let clutch out at tickover it will stall... no question of that ... it has stalled often enough with a fair ammmount of throttle applied.

>>reversing on to a 2 " wooden block

Not the major point at issue,but it helps if you put the levelling block in front of the wheel and pull the caravan onto it.

Less resistance, as you don't have to compress the drawbar and then overcome the brake to release the overrun brake. First gear is also usually lower than reverse.

Edited by Manatee on 19/07/2014 at 23:45

Manatee,

I am not able to, as the motor mover is bolted on the front of the wheel, limiting the homemade ramps to the rear of the wheel.

As I have managed this process in the past with Mondeos, Granadas, Cortina's and the old type 2008 Sorento, all with no problems, this should eat it.

Edited by Kiaboy on 20/07/2014 at 15:37

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - thunderbird

If I try to pull away with boat attached on a hill, it needs a lot of throttle to get it moving and to keep it moving, with clutch fully let out I have to almost floor the throttle to keep it moving, once above walking pace the revs can be dropped and it will keep pulling at low speeed.

But surely that is to be expected when you are towing over 2 tonnes up a steep hill. Even towing 2 tonnes on a flat road will need more throttle than you use when the car is solo.

If you are slipping the clutch all the time when doing this it will burn.

It sounds as if the towing limit is unrealistic.

Enough heat will of course destroy the clutch, but repeated cycles short of enough to do that might ruin the DMF first.

I strongly suspect the Outlander does a 'programmed' stall below minimum rpm to protect the DMF from difficult torque loads. Maybe the Sorento does that too.

Unfortunately that means using higher rpm which introduces the heat problem. Putting torque through a friction coupling when one plate is doing 2000 or 3000 rpm, and the other is nearly stationary is going to create a lot of it.

The answer is a lower gear - either a 'crawler' first and reverse, or via a transfer box. But I take your point that you have not had the problem with apparently similar vehicles.

I agree that it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

Drvetrain protection at low revs is in many diesel ECUs..Apparently..

I brought it up to KIA 'expert' that what was missing was a Low Ratio shift, this has been on the US versions.

That would solve the problem .. as 1st seems to high, unless you put enough revs in place .. and then it slips. (or stalls if your don't)

A pity the automatic box can't handle 2.5T or I would have had that.

With all comments here about Land Rover being the answer, went to look at some details .... on What Car site for 4x4 LandRover has consistently come bottom every year for reliability .... seems that while they can do the job, they can't do it consistently or for very long.

With all comments here about Land Rover being the answer, went to look at some details .... on What Car site for 4x4 LandRover has consistently come bottom every year for reliability .... seems that while they can do the job, they can't do it consistently or for very long.

seems we could level that same comment at your Kia Sorrento.

If you're going to let that put you off, you're biting off your own nose to spite your face!

All cars can suffer problems. they are complex machines. All cars are extremely good for Q&R compared to what they were a couple of decades ago.

If we cut to the chase here: it is clear the Kia isn't up to the task you are asking of it. The inescapeable conclusion is therefore that you need to change it to a vehicle that is. Or give up the boating. So what you gonna do?

Maybe you missed the point .... the independent sites ... What Car, AA & Which state that LandRover consistently are the bottom of the table on reliability.

That is not an issue around "all cars have problems", but that LandRover consistently have a lot more than any other manufacturer.

KIA as it happens are currently No.1 in teh world according to J.D.Power for reliability.

I was sursprised, I'll admit that most sites rate BMW X3 as No.1 4x4

All the comments here do not suggest LR is the answer, wouldn't be on my shopping list.

At the end of the day you have a 2.2 engine with too high ratio first and reverse gears and expecting the vehicle to do the hard towing work that a Landcruiser/Defender is designed from scratch to do with ease, its never going to happen.

All the comments here do not suggest LR is the answer, wouldn't be on my shopping list.

At the end of the day you have a 2.2 engine with too high ratio first and reverse gears and expecting the vehicle to do the hard towing work that a Landcruiser/Defender is designed from scratch to do with ease, its never going to happen.

I'm not after a 100% of the time hard core 4x4 ... if I were I'd go by a defender.

I need a car that 90+ of the time can cruise a Motorway with ease & economy (Defender is certainly not that)

My point is that I bought a car sold as a 4x4 with a tow capacity of 2.5T

It cannot do 2.2T (or even 1.5T) on a hill start, and that seesm to me to be a design issue, not an incorrect expectation.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - skidpan

Last week we sat on the beach at a bay used by many boats and dingys. Beach looked an easy tow but up to the car park was pretty steep. None of the boats would have been anywhere near 2.2 tonnes. But the effort need to get the boats/trailers out of the water before they even started up the beach and slope was probably the most difficult, the drag from the water made a huge difference.

And what did all the people use, they had a tractor that did the business. Not a single Defender went onto the beach and all the "leisure" 4 x 4 SUV's were way back in the car park.

Its obvious the people there know what is best for the job.

It cannot do 2.2T (or even 1.5T) on a hill start, and that seesm to me to be a design issue, not an incorrect expectation.

Yes and it will tow 2.5 tons quite happily no doubt up and down the motorway for you, unfortunately you need either low range or an engine larger than 550cc per cyl (or both) to do the job you are asking it to on the slipway.

Again i re-iterate i wouldn't have a Defender as a gift, one of the reasons for which is that i'm over 5'6" and thats about the max size for comfort in the smalley cab, there are alternatives that have been mentioned that will do all you ask of them with ease.

You seem to be under the impression that its just the clutch at fault on the Kia, it isn't, the vehicle was never designed for hard core heavy lugging and it never will be any use for such with that small engine and no low range or ultra low 1st/reverese gears.

Yes and it will tow 2.5 tons quite happily no doubt up and down the motorway for you, unfortunately you need either low range or an engine larger than 550cc per cyl (or both) to do the job you are asking it to on the slipway.

Again i re-iterate i wouldn't have a Defender as a gift, one of the reasons for which is that i'm over 5'6" and thats about the max size for comfort in the smalley cab, there are alternatives that have been mentioned that will do all you ask of them with ease.

You seem to be under the impression that its just the clutch at fault on the Kia, it isn't, the vehicle was never designed for hard core heavy lugging and it never will be any use for such with that small engine and no low range or ultra low 1st/reverese gears.

So why do I experience the same problem towing max1700Kg on a grass field which is flat onto 2 pieces of wood??

Again I think we are going round in circles here, Kia have made no comments that this vehicle is being driven outside it's "designed capabilities" it is clear Kia are mis-selling this car, the tow capacity is suppose to pull at % hill starts, this vehicle is clearly not in that league with the set up it has at the moment, (I have suggested to the Kia CEO that Kia change their sales adverts so potential buyers are aware of the Gen 2 Sorentos limitations for towing, but he did not make any comments to it), yes a low ratio GB is indead needed for this car or a re-design of the clutch, but as Gen 3 Sorento is due out next year, that is clearly not going to happen if the new one has a revised engine/GB.

If for one minute Kia thought this car was being "abused" by pulling a boat up the slip, they would have said so.

Sorry Kiaboy but i do think the vehicle being used for the boat towing is being abused, it may well have 2.5t towing weight, but pulling a boat out of the water is a dead pull, that requires serious lugging ability and the car with its present engine/gearing won't ever be up to it no matter what clutch is installed, its always going to require high revs and clutch slip and thats always going to end up expensively.

Off topic, but we're having similar issues at one of our delivery points, the premises has been altered and now we are having to jack knife blind side reverse 44 tons up a steep slope off a one way street, as a caravanner you will know how hard this is and what i'm describing.

Our vehicles are automated manuals, so we're onto a loser immediately, the problem being the clutch wants to engage fully, reverse is too high geared and by the time we've forced the tanker up this blasted slope the clutch overheat warning is flashing up on the dash.

I've tried everything to help it out, lifted the tag axle to increase traction on the drive axle, cancelled ASR as traction control is immediately cutting power as soon as the drive axle senses slip, but the power available at low enough revs/gearing just isn't there.

Vehicles not specified correctly, end of.

Back to the Kia, about the only thing IMO thats going to help in the situation is putting more fuel through at low revs in first/reverse gear, if the vehicle were mine i would be tempted to remap for low revved torque, but i suspect you and others will be giving Kia a lot of gyp over this, and can't say i blame you, so you can't really start tinkering with the motor as it might well end up breaking the next weakest link in the drivetrain.

I like Sorento/Santa Fe, but i wouldn't have bought into such a small engine and expected it to do this lugging work unless it had a low ratio option.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/08/2014 at 20:07

Guys ... forget the comments that towing across beach is too hard - use a tractor, forget comments that towing with boat still in water is too much drag.

Both are irrelevant for this issue.

KIA Technical expert came to witness the problem. ... we went to slipway when there was no tide ... so all we had was car on the concrte ramp, repeat ALL 4 WHEELS on dry concrete .... so this is a simple hill start.

The car CANNOT do a hill start with a trailer (>300Kg below stated capacity) .. without clutch burning.

No sand, no water ......... just a hill start.

The 2.2L diesel is supposed to give loads of torque at low revs, so again should be OK for the job.

KIA have been asked clealry - and they state teh vehicle is suitable for up to 2.5T and at greater gradients than the issues occur at.

Might be of interest ...

Hyundia who are the parent compnay of KIA manufacture the Sant Fe (in same factory) and it shares many of the mechnacial componenets & assenblies.

They have acknowldeged the DMF issues and even prodcuced conversion to standard clutch.

www.autobiz.ie/techtips/Blue-Print/hyundai-santa-f...f

I know that is not new, but is does show Hyundia are aware of the issuie for some time.

Also did some Googling and found Lexus, Audi, VW all have the same issue

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Dual+Mass+Flywheel+burning

From the first link, this clutch conversion (and ECU upgrade for higher torque) only apply to previous model Santa Fe up to 2003 with the 2.0 litre engine.

Hyundai have an additional minor ECM upgrade for severe cases to improve vehicle torque in first and reverse gears. This ECM upgrade is only available from Hyundai. The bulletin only applies to the Santa Fe 2.0 diesel (D4EA) 4x4 with manual transaxle, produced before June 30th 2003, and any vehicle converted from Dual Mass flywheel to Single Mass should have ‘SMF’ marked in indelible

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/08/2014 at 17:55

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - xtrailman

Get a 3L auto with 4wd, more torque more gears if you select correctly, and no clutch to burn, something with a 8speed ZF box.

I may well get something else next time ........

Yes I would like an automtic but the KIA automatic reduces Tow capacity to only 2T

However does not chnage fact car is rated, advertised & specified to tow up to 2.5T.

At considerbaly less than this the clutch slips so badly that car stinks of burnt cluch linings for Hrs afterwards. This does not seem correct response for a vehicle being used within rated loading ...... it does not seem 'Fit for pupose'

As many people are seeing this and at much lower towing weights - seems fundamantal flaw with DMF stup, surprised that AA/WHICH or similar are not taking this up.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - skidpan

surprised that AA/WHICH or similar are not taking this up.

That is probably because they realise no leisure 4 x 4 is designed to tow 2.5 tonnes up a slipway towing a boat from a dead stop out of water.

surprised that AA/WHICH or similar are not taking this up.

That is probably because they realise no leisure 4 x 4 is designed to tow 2.5 tonnes up a slipway towing a boat from a dead stop out of water.

Clearly they aren't designed for it. I think the point is that they should be, if they say they are.

It's reasonable to assume that a towing limit covers a reasonable gradient, and actually starting off, and that someone with a 2200kg requirement would thaink a 4x4 with a 2500kg limit would be adequate, at least for occasional personal rather than regular commercial use.. What do you use a "leisure 4x4" for if not leisure? What is boating if not leisure?

Exactly my view .......... I genuinely don't expect it to be an off road, farm capapable machine, but do expect it to be able to do a hill start on reasonbale gradient at the stated to capacity (or well under it)

I have looked at some of the options here and maybe getting an Indian car in future (Land Rover), but the price hike is more than 30% .. and too much for me.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - Wolfan

An issue is something that appears regularly usually a magazine or periodical or as with a newborn a result of copulation, what the original poster has with the dual mass flywheel is a problem or a fault.

An issue is something that appears regularly usually a magazine or periodical or as with a newborn a result of copulation, what the original poster has with the dual mass flywheel is a problem or a fault.

Very helpful.

Is its a problem, or a fault? That is the issue.

Very helpful.

Is its a problem, or a fault? That is the issue.

As usual a prat is a prat is a prat.

issue noun. An important topic or problem for debate or discussion

QED.

As many people are seeing this and at much lower towing weights - seems fundamantal flaw with DMF stup, surprised that AA/WHICH or similar are not taking this up.

Well, IF you are a member, write to them.

If not, tough.

If Not Tough ..... thank you for that helpful reply.

UPDATE - 4th Sept

Contacted by KIA today ... they advise that E there is a 'new' model clutch for the Sorento.

Although my clutch was changed as part of the tests in July... what was fitted was the 'standard' clutch & DMF.

My car is going in on Monday to have this new clutch fitted ... and then I will retest and report back on results - good that this issue is getting some focus.

Kia Sorento - Clutch Burning - Dual Mass Flywheel issue - focussed

I have launched and recovered many boats of all sorts and weights up to about 2.5 tonnes on slipways, fresh and salt water, dry, wet, etc mainly with a Volvo 240, because that's what my employer deemed a suitable vehicle for me to use. The trick is to use a rope long enough so that the vehicle stays on level ground while the boat is launched or recovered on the slipway. Put boat/trailer on slipway apply brake and chock wheels, unhitch trailer from car, attach rope to car and trailer take the strain, remove chocks, release brake etc etc.

The only time I had a problem was at a slipway that was gravel and it took the combined efforts of two 240's roped up in tandem to drag the boat out, and that was only a tiddly ski-boat.

Nice idea ... and while this might work if you have a huge flat area behind the slip, simply not possible on the 2 locations I launch.

I would use this on beach recovery to avois putting car in the soft sand

Well after many emails and discussions to Kia CEO and customer services about rejecting the car for "not fit for purpose" and New Car Code, and discussing this with the Kia dealer Principle, Kia have agreed to add the clutch to the 7 year warranty as they do not have a fix for the clutch smell.

So at least I have a bit of piece of mind they will replace it if it gives up, (2 years is the time frame normally for clutches)