Which make of cars is more reliable? - geek84

Hi Folks

I am thinking of buying a new car, and the other day I was looking at some of the well known makes such as Audi. I then went on to look at some of the less well known makes such as Kia. As you know, the price difference is quite large.

Is that because Audi (for example) is a well known and respected name rather than (say) Kia? Or are the more well known makes generally more reliable?

Thank You.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - mike hannon

Welcome to the outside world...

Which make of cars is more reliable? - 72 dudes

You could write a book on this.

Best thing I can recommend is to google "2014 Driver Power" and "JD Power" surveys.

You'll be surprised just how unreliable some of the 'better known' makes of car are.

First you need to decide what you want from a car and what you will use it for. Then you can narrow it down to a body style and engine size etc.

Then read up as much as you can and research prices, owners reviews and problems online. If you're quite young, don't forget insurance, servicing and general running costs like excise duty. Try not to be taken in by brand image, and go and test drive as many cars as feasible before you decide. A shiny Audi A3 with big sports wheels might be attractive but a Kia Rio might actually suit you better (examples only!)

Which make of cars is more reliable? - craig-pd130

You could write a book on this.

Best thing I can recommend is to google "2014 Driver Power" and "JD Power" surveys.

You'll be surprised just how unreliable some of the 'better known' makes of car are.

100% agreed. Don't be suckered by marketing spin. For example, Audi, Volkswagen, Seat and Skoda all share major components (i.e. engines, gearboxes, floorpans, suspension components, the list goes on). Does this make an Audi A3 1.4TFSI S-Line saloon a 'better' car than a Skoda Octavia 1.4TFSI SE? One costs £25,000, the other is £18,500. Yet they're very, very similar: they're just wearing different clothes.

It's up to the buyer to decide. Honest John's Telegraph column recently had a letter from a motorist who was horrified to find that his Audi - a paragon of Teutonic craftsmanship and efficiency - had a Skoda engine in it. Welcome to the modern world of segmented brand marketing and globalised manufacturing.

The 'best' car is the one that suits you and your needs. Badges and branding count for very little.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 10/05/2014 at 12:48

Which make of cars is more reliable? - Andrew-T

First you need to decide what you want from a car and what you will use it for. Then you can narrow it down to a body style and engine size etc.

Then read up as much as you can and research prices, owners reviews and problems online ....

Finally try to make allowance for the car's value when you no longer want it, and how easy it may be to sell. That's where you came in ....

Which make of cars is more reliable? - jack1001

Citroen is a good make and there cheap i got a great deal off Honk and Hoot I think the website is www.honkandhoot.co.uk

Which make of cars is more reliable? - focussed

Citroen is a good make and there cheap i got a great deal off Honk and Hoot I think the website is www.honkandhoot.co.uk

Have you got something against the OP? Recommending a Citroen? That ownership experience is likely to put him off cars for life.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - galileo

Have you got something against the OP? Recommending a Citroen? That ownership experience is likely to put him off cars for life?

Agreed. Citroen are cheap for a reason.

Great cars Citroen

Which make of cars is more reliable? - daveyK_UK

Honda and Toyota are the best, if you want posh go for a Lexus.

Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, Suzuki and kia generally follow on.

The rest, especially Audi are not particularly reliable or unreliable, it very much depends on the model, engine, fuel, gearbox combination you choose.

Stick to petrol cars over diesels if you want reliability.

For example, Fiat are considered more unreliable than most which is true if you go for a diesel punto or bravo. However, go for a petrol Doblo and its OK reliability wise, a petrol qubo is considered reliable.

Ford are considered average, go for a petrol fiesta manual and they are considered reliable cars, go for a diesel focus aand over the long term it will be average in terms of reliability.

If your planning to keep the car beyond its manufacturer warranty, consider the cost of spares and the odd body part such as a bumper. While Hyundai and kia are considered reliable, their parts list is one of the most expensive around. Compared to Citroen or Skoda and their parts list will be very cheap in comparison.

Servicing, a Mercedes will cost you a small fortune to service, a Vauxhall will be cheap to service.

Lots of things to consider, but generally of you stick with a far eastern brand you get a more reliable motor.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 10/05/2014 at 20:38

Which make of cars is more reliable? - bazza

Good summary that, Davey.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - barney100
I can only speak from personal experience of Mercedes servicing and say that in 12 years they have been not too bad at all. Present car is 14 years old with 150k owned for 5 years or so and so far servicing at an indie has been q reasonable. Main expense with motoring is changing the car.

Top gear car of the yr, World rally champs, best small car awards, They've been great for years.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - dan86

They may be great rally cars but there not reliable.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - mss1tw

They may be great rally cars but there not reliable.

Mine's been fine....in fact out of Ford, Peugout, Seat, and Citroen I've not had an 'unreliable' car.

Only the SEAT was sold due to a fault - an unsolvable water leak

Which make of cars is more reliable? - corax

Mine's been fine....in fact out of Ford, Peugout, Seat, and Citroen I've not had an 'unreliable' car.

Only the SEAT was sold due to a fault - an unsolvable water leak

Through the doors? The mastic that holds the inner door membrane in place breaks down over time - you can get better quality stuff from the dealers now. Also the wax in the doors can block the drain holes at the bottom.

Edited by corax on 11/05/2014 at 21:20

Which make of cars is more reliable? - galileo

Top gear car of the yr, World rally champs, best small car awards, They've been great for years.

Top Gear only ever test brand new cars pre-checked by the manufacturers, so bound to be fault free and not subject to ordinary wear/tear/neglect which is important to the ordinary buyer.

Rally cars, as you must know, bear no resemblance to production models except external appearance (4WD, sequential gearboxes, tuned and boosted engines, more robust suspension etc).

Awards are notoriously peculiar, look back at winners of 'Car of the Year', some real lemons have won that, the system is about as bias- and influence- free as the Eurovision Song Contest.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - skidpan

These are not really a very good way of assessing reliabilty IMHO.

They are not really "reliability" surveys, they are "Customer Satisfaction Surveys"

Because of that all manner of pointless things get marked like the shape and colour of the car, if the customer marks them down the rating goes down.

They even mark the numer of parking spaces available at your local dealer and the quaity of the coffee in the machine, hardly affect reliability do they.

Also the sample sizes are not taken into account. A few years ago a Kia Sportage won the 4 x 4 section and finnished very high (top 5?) overall in the survey, turned out only ONE customer had actually responded and was very happy.

Which magazine does a better job, most libraries keep them to view.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - madf

Which stated the most reliable 4x4 wasa Toyota RAV4. ( I read it at our local library)

Which make of cars is more reliable? - Bromptonaut

Which stated the most reliable 4x4 wasa Toyota RAV4. ( I read it at our local library)

Isn't Which a user survey as well?

Results for niche or low volume cars are susceptible to being skewed by small sample sizes.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - primeradriver

www.anusedcar.com/

TUV are about as close to a reliable report of manufacturer reliability as you are likely to get.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - SteveLee

Have you got something against the OP? Recommending a Citroen? That ownership experience is likely to put him off cars for life.

I've had around ten Citroëns - none have ever let me down with an accumulated combined 400K+ miles under thier wheels. A couple of them had niggly electrical problems - but mechanically they are as reliable as anything else European. Most of them, wear and tear items aside, were fault free.

Japanese cars are generally more reliable but then the Honda Civic in my family isn't as good as the C3 after 100K miles as described in another thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=105029

Which make of cars is more reliable? - SteveLee

Buy a Kia - any manufacturer who is happy to stand by their product with a 7 year warranty deserves to sell cars. All modern cars are perfectly good - some just cost a lot more than others through badge snobbery. Is it worth paying £10K extra for a German badge, worse reliabillity and a slightly nicer interior? Nope.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - Ed V

Which? also does noise levels, e.g. 68dcb) on all reviews, under the 'ride' sub-category.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - corax

Which? also does noise levels, e.g. 68dcb) on all reviews, under the 'ride' sub-category.

Noise can depend on factors like type of tyre, tyre size, wet roads, cold roads. Are these taken into account?

My Forester has far more road noise on a cold morning or if the surface is wet. Then again it has no soundproofing under the carpets :)

One has to assume and hope that they set out the results to allow a valid comparison to be made. Of course one car may win the dry roads category but not the wet.

My guess is that they use for all cars dry roads on some test track they have access to. They also tend to test models which are in the middle of the range, e.g. 2.0 diesel manual for a BMW 3 Series.

My guess is that they use for all cars dry roads on some test track they have access to.

Afraid not.

Just like the Official MPG figures all the tyre test figures are obtained in a lab. The tyre is placed on a test rig and totated against a big roller. As with the mpg figures the results are repeatable and the same for all the tyres tested but they do not relate to the real world on real tarmac. If you want real results read the magazine tyre tests.

Skidpan is too cynical methinks.

Which tells me that noise level measurements are done by driving at 82 mph on a closed road with all noise off (e.g. aircon), and measuring the noise in two opposite directions to allow for wind, with the device on the centre console of the car. Seems pretty thorough to me.

Edited by Avant on 18/05/2014 at 22:20

Which make of cars is more reliable? - John F

Hi Folks

I am thinking of buying a new car

I should lie down and wait until the thought passes by.

Skidpan is too cynical methinks. Which tells me that noise level measurements are done by driving at 82 mph on a closed road with all noise off (e.g. aircon), and measuring the noise in two opposite directions to allow for wind, with the device on the centre console of the car. Seems pretty thorough to me.

Which may carry out noise tests like that but the manufacturers don't.

Which carry out their fuel consumptions tests on real roads as well but manufacturers don't.

Like I said in my previous test, read the magazine tests, they are far more realistic.

Edited by skidpan on 09/06/2014 at 16:50

I dont expect all Dacia's will be considered reliable (although with the right trim and engine choice some will be reliable),

The fact you can add a 7 year or 100k mile warranty to your Dacia for £895 makes them a very compelling choice and a reliable financial choice.

With the 7 year warranty option, nothing comes close to them in terms of financial reliability.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - Gibbo_Wirral

It all depends on what the warranty covers. Didn't someone say that the Kia Ceed's 7 year warranty was only on certain parts, and that a three year (or less) warranty on other parts of the car?

It all depends on what the warranty covers. Didn't someone say that the Kia Ceed's 7 year warranty was only on certain parts, and that a three year (or less) warranty on other parts of the car?

I might be wrong here but when the 7 year Kia warranty was introduced on the Ceed in 2006 the first 5 years was the total vehicle and years 6 and 7 were engine and gearbox only.

I think this changed in early 2010 when the warranty was introduced on all new Kia's, our Ceed which we bought in 2010 has a 7 year warranty that covers all the vehicle with the usual exceptions of service parts, tyres (covered by the manufacturer), battery (2 years), A/C refrigerant (2 years unless a repair is needed to the system - then its 7 years) and radio is 3 years.

Here is the warranty document http://www.kia.co.uk/~/media/pdf/Warranty/Kia%207%20Year%20Warranty%20Terms%20and%20Exclusions.ashx

For the record our A/C stopped working when the car was just short of 3 years old. Expected a bill especially when the garage said that the A/C condenser was leaking. delighted to say the repair was totally FOC.

The fact you can add a 7 year or 100k mile warranty to your Dacia for £895 makes them a very compelling choice and a reliable financial choice.

But with the rusting issues many owners appear to be having a 7 year mechanical warranty is of little use.

Which make of cars is more reliable? - HandCart

Isn't that only on the (RHD) Dusters though ('rusters'?), not the Sanderos?

Which make of cars is more reliable? - slkfanboy

I can't say that and Survery has ever matched my own real life findings. All bought new dealer service and kept for the very max for 5 yrs and mostly 20-30K per year

My findings are as follows

Owned 3 VW's all broken down on average 1 a year (one badly) and expense to get fixed. Dealers bad

Audi owned 3 Two brokdown more once, 1 stolen after 3 months. Dealers better than VW.

BMW x1 one fault in 3 years and 50k per year. Expensive to service but good

Volvo x1 One minor fault in 2 years Exensive to service.. Dealers OK

Jaguar X1 one fault expensive to service. Dealer not interested

Honda X1 number of faults and middling to service. Dealers OK

Merc No faults Expensive to service. Dealers helpful

Ford x 3 All had faults less than VW/Audi. Dealers OK

Not reflected in your JD serverys i suspect. I aways look in the forums these days as get a real feelingfor the issues to lookout for.

Best car by far was the Merc SLK

Alex

Which make of cars is more reliable? - Snakey

I'd put a vote in for Kia. I used to have a Sportage and now own a rav4 and toyotas 'legendary' customer service has left me cold, dealers are apathetic at best.

I wish I'd kept the Sportage; it was well made and seemed to take the mileage well. I used indies so no direct experience with their dealers though.

But with the rusting issues many owners appear to be having a 7 year mechanical warranty is of little use.

Its only the RHD Duster's built in India

The paint finish on the Logan MCV and Sandero is fine