C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - SteveLee

We have a 04 Civic 1.6 and 03 C3 1.4 in the family (neither mine), on 115K and 106K miles respectively. The C3 has no recorded service history but I’ve serviced it for the last few years, the Civic has a full service history. Neither car has ever broken down, but what are they like to drive now they’re past the magic 100K mark? Will the much-lauded Japanese quality start to shine through?

Economy: The C3 still returns 50-55mpg easily, the Honda struggles to return 40mpg losing around 8mpg from when it was at its best (1-0.) Suspension: The C3 rides really nicely with no rattles or squeaks, the Honda has a few knocks on both the front and rear suspension over speed humps and the ride is very jiggly –as it always has been (2-0.) Fixtures and fittings: There’s nothing at all wrong with the C3’s interior, the Civic’s driver’s side window keep coming out of its guide and getting stuck – the interior looks worn and scruffy – the C3 is fine (3-0.) Engine: The C3 doesn’t sound like it’s done the miles and doesn’t use oil. The Civic rattles like an old Chrysler Alpine – it too doesn’t use oil but sounds every bit a 100K+ mile car. (4-0.) Steering: Both cars steer very well with no real vices – scoredraw (5-1) Paintwork: The rear bumper on the C3 has patchy lacquer but not a speck of rust anywhere. The Civic’s paint is patchy and there are bubbles of rust appearing at the bottom of the doors and on the pillars (6:1.) I won’t rate the performance as the cars are not the same capacity – but in the real world the C3 is as quick because I cannot stand the din the Honda makes if you try to use the extra horses! The smaller engined Citroën is actually the better motorway cruiser because it has surprisingly tall gearing for such a small engine.

The stats don’t lie – Jap cars are the most reliable (not that the C3 has ever broken down) – but that doesn’t mean they are always the best! If circumstances mean I have to borrow either of these two cars – The C3’s keys are always my first choice - which does genuinely surprise me.

Edited by Avant on 04/05/2014 at 17:05

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - nlpnlp

I have a C3 with 157,000 miles on the clock. It has never let me down, it has few faults. It is 7 years old and does 22K+ miles pa. The electric windows still work, everything does what it is meant to do.

My wife has a Toyota Avensis. Great drive,but the clutch from new has always been aweful.

Which would I pick to drive - the Citroen. Which would I pick to own - the Toyota. Both have been great cars and I hope to drive my Citroen for another couple of years until I get to 200K miles - I have never got to 200K miles before with my cars, which have been Fiesta, Cavalier, Golf, Bravo.

As much as I love my Citoren (and my Fiat before that), I would never buy aother because the repair bills are just too much. They are just not durabke enough. Breaks,suspension, etc.

Rust is not a real proplem unless you own a Fiat, in which case the car falls apprt before the engine. I wouldn't worry about a few bubbles.

Love the Citroen and keep the Honda would be my advice. As poor a car as the Honda is (and my mother had a mark2 Civic which I drove as an18 year old), it will be better than the Citroen in the long run.

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - focussed

I had an 04 civic, not a 1.6 petrol it was a 1.7 diesel. There was a warranty campaign on window regulators on these as I remember. I had mine done at a Honda dealer, bit late for this one though-but worth asking.

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - artill

In 1999 i bought a 6 month old 406, and in 2001 my father took it over. Early in its life in went through a couple of radiators, at 3 and 6 years old. Ever since it has just worked, and drives like a car with a fraction of its 120,000 miles, rides well, returns the same or better economy. Its a quality car.

I have a 2005 S2000, and apart from the speakers falling apart nothing has gone wrong at all.

Honda get lots of credit for making cars that dont break. Sadly PSA dont. As far as i am concerned they pretty much as good.

Edited by artill on 04/05/2014 at 23:07

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - daveyK_UK

My experience of a 02 plate C3 was nothing but suspension troubles, constant random dashboard warnings that nearly always turned out to be faulty sensors and rattles! I could always get the suspension fixed and copy parts where cheap, but i could never solve the rattles nor could the dealer.

While the C3 may not have seemed well built, it did take its fair share of bumbs and bruises without letting me down.

I know it went on to over 100k relatively trouble free (suspension needed work every 15k).

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - gordonbennet

A workmate i haven't seen for some time put fantastic mileage on his C2 1.4HDi on his commute, something like 160k last time i saw him, he'd just had a cambelt change done and kept it very well serviced, driven properly mind, he could just top 70mpg on his A road route trundling along at typical Fenland speeds.

Daughters 04 Civic 2.0S was replaced at 140 odd k, still running well, but i found an identical much lower mileage car with the right history and one owner credentials, so she swapped, the replacement carries on doing all she asks of it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/05/2014 at 10:03

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - Bromptonaut

I've had a Citroen Berlingo 1.9D from new in 2005. Now on 150k the trim and bodywork, while not unmarked are entirely serviceable. It's needed reltaively little out of course attention and is only car I've owned that's got to 100k before failing to start or complete a journey. Hope to push it to 15yrs and over 200k miles.

It's got a problem ATM with rough running on start up which is proving difficult to solve (I'm about to insist on new glow plugs even if those installed test OK) but once it's on the move it's as good as always.

There was no real equivalent from Honda or any Eastern mfr, but I doubt it would hav been sufficiently more robust or reliable to justify the extra cost its 'quality' supposedly justified.

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - madf

My wide had a Peugeot 106 from new - and for over a decade.

In that time it had: replacement clutch operating lever - broke after 13months outside warranty.

Two new top hoses.

Two new front suspension wishbones.

A new cambelt

New front disks and pads.,New rear brake shoes.

Two new exhausts.

It had done 55k miles and was rusty under the boot floor when it was written off in a crash.

Our 11 year old Yaris has had:

3 sets of front anti roll bar bushes. (potholes)

New front disks and pads.

It has done 58k miles and is rust free.

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - Snakey

I think the likes of Citroen and Peugeot can make cars that a nicer to drive and to live with, but the japanese brands have the reputation of reliability. Based on the millions of cars thats probably true but if you get a 'good' Citroen then its as good as any jap car.

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - Bromptonaut

My wide had a Peugeot 106 from new - and for over a decade.

In that time it had: replacement clutch operating lever - broke after 13months outside warranty.

Two new top hoses.

Two new front suspension wishbones.

A new cambelt

New front disks and pads.,New rear brake shoes.

Two new exhausts.

It had done 55k miles and was rusty under the boot floor when it was written off in a crash.

The Yaris is obviously very good but barring the clutch lever that's not a bad list for 10 yrs, even on low mileage.

Cambelt, brakes, exhausts and possibly the suspension wishbones (assume 2+a pair) are wearing or rotable parts. Probably potholes that did for the bushes. Is the Yaris a chain cam jobby?

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - corax

Is the Yaris a chain cam jobby?

Yes. They are tough cars that cost very little to run. I wouldn't want to use one regularly for long distance work though. The Mk 2's may be better.

C3 Civic - Citroën vs Honda – a foregone conclusion? - Avant

Later Mark 2 1.3 Yarises have a 6-speed gearbox, which makes them a lot better for motorway work.