Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Been fined but not registered keeper. - biltri

I bought a car in October last year through a third party and the owner did not pass on the documents. This fact then slipped my mind until I received an unpaid toll notice from the M50 in Ireland for 4 unpaid tolls. I received this through the third party and paid £21.04 immediately on 24th March this year. Yesterday I was handed a further notice for the same tolls in the sum of £164.01, dated 15/03/14. 9 days BEFORE I paid the fine. Who is liable for this? The owner has obviously not informed DVLA of the sale, I am still waiting for V5 and all correspondence is going to the previous owner's address, increasing the fines due to non-action. I realise that I should have been more vigilant and pursued the change of keeper aspect but who is actually in the wrong, legally?

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Been fined but not registered keeper. - RobJP

Don't know the legal situation in Ireland, but I think that you are probably liable.

The car is your legal responsibility. If you let your insurance end, and were stopped for driving without insurance, would you be trying to blame the old owner ? Or if tyres had now gone bald, would it be someone else's fault ?

If you want to be forgiven for forgetting to chase it up, then maybe the old owner can use that reason too. He forgot. You forgot. Put it down to experience.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Been fined but not registered keeper. - oldroverboy.

Let me ask this,

How did the toll people know how to send you the fines.

Do you have a receipt for the car?

Why wait 6 months? after 3 weeks you should be asking questions.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Been fined but not registered keeper. - Dwight Van Driver

There is an obligation, not only on the new keeper, but also the old keeper, to forthwith notify DVLA of the change of ownership. It is not stipluated at law as to how this is done so a letter will suffice. IT looks as if the old owner has done this and named you as the new owner.

You haven't done so -offence.

So when Toll people make application for keepers details to DVLA who is on tghe Refgister as Keeper - YOU.

Be cavalier on paperwork and you can get stung.

dvd