Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - wugbug
Hi,

Hoping I can get some opinions.

We have a Toyota iQ we want to move on as it's been pretty awful over the last three years with various issues, the latest 3 different Toyota dealers cannot fault or fix.

We want an Astra sized hatch, diesel and auto. The car has to not be dual clutch, semi auto and have a bit of punch.

We went to look at the Astra and noticed a cruise, similar spec and same engine/gearbox combo as I understand but the car was £3k cheaper at the same age and mileage. (18 months old, 20000 miles)
Depreciation is not too much of a concern ( not that the Astra is famed for cash retention) the cruise has 3.5 years warranty left versus the Astra 1.5 years.

For what we need the two cars drive with similarity and only when pushing on around the bends does the Astra drive better, but I cannot justify the extra £3k being asked for the Astra.

Is the Cruise worth a punt even with Chevrolet pulling out of Europe next year? We will run the car until it's 6 or 7 years old.

P.s. I'm aware of DPF's , I will be driving this car 24k per year and my wife will be driving my non DPF diesel.

Thanks,
Wug.
Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - Collos25

At six years and with that sort of mileage any car is going to pretty worthless so if the finances stack up for you and you can live with the car then buy it.

Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - KB.

Can see your thinking. Is it the hatchback? (can see a saloon and hatchback available). Looks a bit longer than an Astra but if that's not a problem then so be it. I'd suggest checking to see if you're OK with the annual VED you'll pay and also that the insurance isn't too expensive. Also just check how many routine service parts are interchangable with Vauxhall - and that you can source all relevant brake and service materials and find out who makes the autobox and that, id the worst happened, it can be repaired or replaced (especially within the warranty period). Make sure the warranty will be upheld by (presumably) a Vauxhall dealer.

Always a bit daunting buying a make that you know will be leaving the UK market place (ie Daihatsu, Saab, Rover etc.) and this must substantially impact on it's value the minute you drive it away from the dealer....and therefore try to be sure that the dealer isn't going to rub his hands together and head off down the pub when he sees you driving off in it. This would, in my opinion, mean paying as little as possible for it. The VED is high, the mpg isn't going to be amazing, the insurance might be high, the residuals will be dreaful, the body parts availability might dry up and the mechanical parts availability might get tricky......so you really don't want to pay a lot for this thing.

In my opinion!

Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - oldroverboy.

Have had the diesel epica, some of the cruze 2.0 litres have the same engine. Be careful about dpf rgenerations filling the sump with diesel. The cruze is roomy (have a .6 petrol now, average 38mpg, not driving too slowly).

Servicing and warranty will be dobe at VX dealers in future, Chevrolet parts delivery is vile! but will be delivered via vauxhall in future, very very few chevrolet parts in uk stock, apart from service parts.

Would i do it again after buying 7 chevrolet cars for myself and 3 friends in 7 years,

A resounding no!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/04/2014 at 19:17

Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - daveyK_UK

It all depends on the price of the Cruze.

If its cheap enough, its worth doing.

Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - oldroverboy.

It all depends on the price of the Cruze.

If its cheap enough, its worth doing.

Not if you get catastophic engine failure, read the www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk forums.

Rather than the well intentioned but non specific generalizations provided by people like me, ORB has given the OP has a first hand insight into what life could be like if he owned one as well as giving a link to a source of more hands on information. I hope Wugbug comes back to say what thoughts he has.

Rather than the well intentioned but non specific generalizations provided by people like me, ORB has given the OP has a first hand insight into what life could be like if he owned one as well as giving a link to a source of more hands on information. I hope Wugbug comes back to say what thoughts he has.

One of the reasons the epica went was that the sump oil level was rising and was starting to give warning lights, in spite of a 50 mile each way motorway trip 3 days a week, and not used some of the other days.

Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 vcdi Auto - A good "bargain" vs similar Astra? - wugbug
Hi all.

Sorry for not posting sooner.

Thank you for all of the opinions. Rather enlightening and has made me took at the car very differently.

In regards to the engine and gear box it turns out that the 2.0 vcdi is a different engine to the 2.0 cdti in the Astra. It's made by gm Korea to different specs to the unit built in the eu. The car also uses Gm's 6 speed auto rather than the 6 aisin warner unit used in the Astra, insignia and Volvo's etc. the AW box is deemed to be reliable from what I can see.

The reports of seemingly random terminal engine failure are worrying. Especially the number reported versus how many of these cars you actually see on the road!

I've spoken to my local Cheverolet dealer and they did not seem too keen on the engine and gearbox combo. It was taken out of the cruise hatch last year. Also parts availability is a concern. A car has been waiting for a number to arrive for 3weeks!

So, on reflection I'll give this one a swerve and spend a bit more cash on the Astra.

Thanks again,
Wugbug

Thanks for coming back to report your findings.