n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - bimgot

So my car was stolen and has not been found..

After finally settling the valuation amount with my insurance company, I went to cancel my policy because I no longer have a car, and they are telling me that I need to pay the remainder of my premium or continue to pay monthly installments until my policy is up for renewal..

Is that right? has anyone else been in this situation? Since the premium is for the year, I expected to pay up to the date it was stolen and no more..

Thanks!

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - Smileyman

probably a clause in the small print along the lines that in the event of a claim the full premium will still be payable - seen this before in other insurances too

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - daveyjp
This is correct. You bought an annual policy, not a policy for a year or until a claim is made.
n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - csgmart

It will be correct - check the small print on your policy.

Usually any outstanding payments are deducted from the settlement figure if they pay out on the car.

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Plus - when you replace your stolen car you will have to buy a new policy with no credit for the unused months of your original policy. You insured, the car was stolen, you get a pay out = contract fulfilled and terminated.

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - skidpan

Since you are happy paying a percentage of the premium you would presumably be happy receiving a similar percentage of the car value as a payout.

These things work both ways.

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - Marklew

Mine wasnt stolen, but was a write off. Most insurance companies will allow you to transfer the policy to your next car (unless the rules are different for stolen cars and write off's, but I don't see why they should as they are both in essence 'total loss'), assuming you are buying another, for a small fee (think it cost me about £20 from memory to change from the C Class that hit the barrier to an A5 S Line).

Obviously if you change from a fiesta to a lambo then they will increase the premium as well, but if it is in the same/similar group the extra is usually a standard 'admin' fee.

Edited by Marklew on 26/03/2014 at 11:59

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - Bromptonaut

OP bought an annual policy on credit so still has tp pay off the loan. Pay as you go insurance might be available but will be very expensive.

Policy being cancelled upon total loss is widespreadd but not universal.

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - dacouch

Insurers almost certainly will not give a refund following a write off or stolen vehicle however they should allow you to transfer the balance of the policy onto a replacement vehicle.

If the new car is more expensive (To insure), you will normally be asked to pay the difference in premium, if it's a cheaper car (To insure) then there is normally no refund.

If an Insurers does not offer to cover the replacement vehicle (Providing it's the type of vehicle they would normally cover) then make an "Official Complaint" which should resolve the matter. If that does not work a complaint to the Ombudsman should resolve the matter.

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - Avant

Dacouch, thank you so much for your continuing help and advice on insurance issues. You clearly have experience of the industry, and we are lucky to have the benefit of it.

"Dacouch, thank you so much for your continuing help and advice on insurance issues. You clearly have experience of the industry, and we are lucky to have the benefit of it."

No problem.

Incidently the Ombudsman changed their guidance on this matter at the end of last year, prior to that it in effect said if you write your vehicle off there is normally no refund of premiums.

Now it says

"

17. outstanding premium instalments or premium refunds

Most motor insurance policies are yearly contracts – so the full premium is payable even if the vehicle is written off during the year. If the consumer paid the yearly premium upfront, they will not receive any refund. Or if the consumer was paying the yearly premium by monthly instalments, they must still pay the outstanding instalments after the vehicle is written off.

When an insurer declares a vehicle a write-off, we expect it to offer a consumer the option of bringing a replacement vehicle onto the insurance policy so that the remainder of the policy term can be used. Depending on the make and model of the replacement vehicle, an additional premium may be required by the insurer. This should be calculated on a pro rata basis for the remainder of the policy term."

financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_...l

Note the last paragraph.

This is the part the Ombudsman added last year, many Insurers have not adjusted their policy wordings / practices to reflect this so many will still try and cancel. In my view an Official Complaint pointing this out to them should sort the matter out failing that I believe (It's new guidance so untested) that a complaint to the Ombudsman might result in a pro rata refund of the balance of the premiums if the Insurer did not offer the option to substitute vehicles.

A successful complaint to the Ombudsman would result in the Ombudsman forcing the Insurer to put the customer back in the position they would have been. Hence my view that they may enforce a refund of premiums etc

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - The Gingerous One

> if it's a cheaper car (To insure) then there is normally no refund.

Aviva did refund me the difference between my premiums when my '05 Mazda 6 was written off in a rear-ender and the replacement '95 volvo 440.

ISTR I got about £60 back. Premimum had been paid in full about 2 months earlier.

" if it's a cheaper car (To insure) then there is normally no refund.

Aviva did refund me the difference between my premiums when my '05 Mazda 6 was written off in a rear-ender and the replacement '95 volvo 440.

ISTR I got about £60 back. Premimum had been paid in full about 2 months earlier."

Aviva as do most Insurers do not normally give a refund if you substitute vehicles following a total loss.

What almost certainly happened in your situation was there was either a mistake on your computer record and / or the person you spoke to made a mistake

n/a - Car Stolen, Should I have to pay my whole premium? - bimgot

Thanks for all of the info and comments, its definitely shed some light on the subject for me..