Daytime TV - jamie745

Yesterday, I was unfortunate enough to be at home during the day with very little to do. Upon carrying out the weeks most important tasks - taking advantage of a Strongbow offer at Sainsburys and making a bacon sandwich - I viewed some late morning television.

I am familiar with Bargain Hunt and the endless property shows - presumably aimed at the retired - but I happened across one of those 'consumer advice' shows fronted by Angela Rippon, in between having her face revarnished. It's like Watchdog but worse, at least Watchdog occasionally features some news but I'd call this program 'whiney hour.'

The subject up for discussion was how items cost more in small shops than in big ones, even if they're the same retailer. Now this is not news to those of us with an IQ higher than a rabbit, yet this became a major issue. Apparently. The depressing part was interviewing the 'public' in Manchester or some-other-northern-place, where all bar one of the Primark clad pedestrians said 'it's not fair' that Tesco charge 20p more for a tin of beans in their 'express' shops than on the retail park.

One of these people did ponder whether operating costs are higher per square foot for smaller stores, causing sarcastic applause within my front room as somebody finally got it.

I'm not sure what's more depressing. Is it the fact television broadcasters have literally no new content to show us, that they might as well shut down? Or is it the fact the British public apparently just don't understand the basics of economics?

Daytime TV - Collos25

If its a commercial channel then its something to put inside the adverts the cheaper to make the better.Radio 4 is about the only UK station I listen to.

Daytime TV - jamie745

The particular broadcast I was referring to was on the BBC, that great cultural centre of British society.

Daytime TV - 1litregolfeater

lots of people are sending their tellies to the tip because freeview is such rubbish.

You can get BBC on line if you ever feel the need, and avoid the £145 tax for the London boffors

Daytime TV - jamie745

I've seen the Government are looking at making failure to pay the BBC Tax a mere civil offence now, rather than it's current status as a criminal offence which proves to be a great help for the BBC.

I hope they do change it because so many people would then stop paying it, it'd take the BBC decades to get everybody to court. A major step forward.

Daytime TV - gordonbennet

Braver man than me, i'd rather eat my own feet than watch daytime telly, in fact i reckon we watch approx 5 minutes of live telly a year if that.

We record stuff we want to, mainly in order to be able to skip the ads and to watch when we want, seldom do we ever watch the state broadcaster, and don't get me started on the telly licence, paying for your own brainwashing by the state propaganda channels has to be one of the best scams of all time.

Daytime TV - jamie745

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a deep dislike for most of the BBC's programming. Things like QI & Top Gear are terrific, but they're not made by the BBC per se, merely shown on it. Have I Got News For You used to be edgy satire but since the Hutton report it's become a mostly uncontroversial mush.

The BBC have given us some of the finest comedy this country's ever produced. They gave things like Only Fools, Monty Python and Fawlty Towers a chance when nobody else would and stuck with them even after lukewarm starts. Unfortunately that was the BBC's heyday of comedy.

These days they show some decent series still. Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes & Hustle were all very good. I think Silent Witness is still on but I haven't watched that for a long time.

My problem with the BBC is its news programming and editorial line. The BBC have a grand history of being wrong. They thought Hitler was alright and thought Churchill was a nutter as they did their best to keep him off the airwaves. Since then, they've not done much better. Their coverage of the European question and 'climate change' have been absolutely disgusting.

Far from being an impartial news broadcaster, they're a heavily politically correct organisation run by a soft left intellectual elite hell bent on pushing their point of view - and simply not reporting contrary facts. Top people in the BBC come from an even narrower walk of life than modern day Oxbridge politicians and the fact it's dependent on taxation means it can't help but align itself with the soft left and Labour Party. No amount of Ofcom regs could possibly alter that.

I also have a problem with the fact they can essentially send the Police round and bang you up if you don't pay them. Say what you want about Rupert Murdoch, but Sky don't have such a luxury, they have to work for their money.

Thankfully the growth of You Tube and internet media has severely reduced the BBCs ability to influence public opinion. If you add up all the senior people running the BBC and those running the national tabloids, you see our media is run by a small handful of people representing the establishment. You Tube has allowed us to get around the back of these cretins.

Daytime TV - galileo

There is a suggestion that the BBC would "cut off the signal" to non-payers. (I saw this on the Daily Mail front page when I bought the Telegraph today).

Can't immediately see how they would do that as long as they are transmitting as they do now, I believe you can watch BBC TV from the East Anglian transmitter in parts of Holland?

If they do manage to do that, I for one will be quite content to save the £145 a year and watch the other 40+ channels I get on cable.

Daytime TV - Armitage Shanks {p}

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). You need to be covered by a TV Licence no matter what device you use to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders.

Daytime TV - jamie745

Well the law can say whatever it wants but unless it's practically enforceable it doesn't mean much. Fact is you can log onto the iPlayer, tick a box declaring you have a TV licence and watch it. It's very easy to bounce your IP address around and it's far from impossible to get around their 'no foreigners' rule.

It's in the Daily Mail's natural makeup to dislike the BBC and to run stories likening its power to the Soviet secret police, but I really don't see how the BBC could 'cut off' the signal to people who don't pay it. Broadcasting equipment simply doesn't work that way, you can get a BBC signal from the Algarve for goodness sake.

The BBC are obviously worried the Government might actually follow up on this threat, because the BBC know many people wouldn't pay the £12 a month subscription. I estimate maybe a third of the public would take it up, and that's bad news for the BBC.

Daytime TV - galileo

The BBC are obviously worried the Government might actually follow up on this threat, because the BBC know many people wouldn't pay the £12 a month subscription. I estimate maybe a third of the public would take it up, and that's bad news for the BBC.

As many as a third? Wouldn't be enough to fund their lunches, taxis and fat salaries, which would be a source of great satisfaction to me, for one.

Daytime TV - gordonbennet

As many as a third? Wouldn't be enough to fund their lunches, taxis and fat salaries, which would be a source of great satisfaction to me, for one.

Me too, be a pleasure to see the smug expressions wiped from their mugs, should they have to earn their way in world like most other people, not just the beeb mind, there's plenty of people in non jobs whom if they had to do a proper days work would be the shock of their lives.

Daytime TV - jamie745

The reason I say a third is because at least 5 million people still watch Eastenders every week. Believe me, there are millions who'd pay £12 a month just for that.

To be fair I probably would pay it, but not for Eastenders, for advertisement free TV which is still the best thing about the BBC. I hate TV adverts with a blind passion. I hate TV shows which condense all content into 11 minute segments and spend the first 3 of them showing you clips of what's to come later. I don't like being shown four banks, three credit cards, two beers and a ridiculously titled Vauxhall every 11 minutes.

As I said, my problem is with the BBC's news output and editorial stance. The News channel is fine until they get onto matters such as Europe, immigration and global warming. All issues on which the BBC has a clear political view and pushes it relentlessly. The BBC news website is terrific, probably the best out there, but the fact they don't need ad revenue means they can afford the best website.

Daytime TV - galileo

To be fair I probably would pay it, but not for Eastenders, for advertisement free TV which is still the best thing about the BBC. I hate TV adverts with a blind passion.

Me too, but I hate the 3 minutes of trailers between programmes on the BBC even more, as I'm being forced to pay for them. I can at least boycott products advertised on other channels.

Daytime TV - Ernied

I watch BBC iPlayer a lot. Never had to tick a box declaring that I have a licence.

Daytime TV - FP

You don't need a licence to watch i-Player.

Daytime TV - jamie745

It asks you to declare you have a licence if you try to watch any BBC channel live via the iPlayer.

Daytime TV - kerbed enthusiasm

I have to jump in to the defence of what we may assume to be the proletariat!

"The depressing part was interviewing the 'public' in Manchester or some-other-northern-place, where all bar one of the Primark clad pedestrians" is rather bigotted. And, whilst I'm not of the Manchester persuasion, I'm not enirely sure that the phrase 'some-other-northern-place' is used entirely without prejudice, although I enjoyed your employment of hyphenation.

However, I do agree with your sentiments about the public's inability to grasp simple economics and the appalling quality of these shows. I saw five minutes of one of these programmes and concluded that Angela Rippon and Judith Chalmers were being used interchangeably, each being coated with generous quantities of Ronseal.

It has been pointed out, by minds with a more finely honed edge than my own, that you should consider how stupid the average person is, then remember that 50% of people are less intelligent than this. Armed with this new world view we should perhaps permit the airing of programmes that are of an appropriate level. And, just in case this sounds like intellectual snobbery, I should point out that I'm not averse to a bit of Judge Judy. Conversely, I would not be at all upset if Jeremy Kyle were forced to eat his own liver...

Daytime TV - jamie745

I heard somewhere that Rippon is off to ITV. Presumably they have a discounted trade membership with Polyfilla.

I have no prejudice against the Norf, I just think closing it down probably makes some fiscal sense.

Daytime TV - kerbed enthusiasm

Still laughing, Jamie! Just you wait till the souf is submerged and Halifax beomes the centre of the arid plains.

Daytime TV - chrisanamwar

When I am home during holidays, I try to avoid watching tv in the day. There is no show, which is up to the mark. Each and every show is showing some or the other problems. There is so much of negativity on the television.

Daytime TV - drbe

The trouble is that daytime TV is aimed at - and to a large degree watched by - m****s, so the TV companies don't want to overestimate the intelligence of their audience.

In that, they are, I feel, quite successful.