audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - funkybecky

I'm a single mum with two children a large teenager and smaller child with a large car seat for the next 5 years, I work full time and use my currant car a VW bora 1.9tdi 04 plate daily. I love this car it was a upgrade model the inside is quality and solid, Its never needed spending on other than a service each year and new tyres but there isn't enough space in the back now days and would like something a little higher. Im very confused as to what to get my budget is around £5000-£6000 I have looked at so many and im just lost It needs to do the same if not more MPG than my car now and must not be over £150/£160 a year road tax. Want a reliable safe and solid car as i cant afford to replace for at least 6 years once brought. My options i have looked at so far are.

All diesel

Audi a3

Honda frv

ford c max

ford s max

Mercedes b class 180

Any help would be most grateful

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - Ed V

You'll find lots of expert helpers here. What annual milage, and are your journeys mainly suburban and shortish?

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - Happy Blue!

The engine in the Bora was a good economical one, so finding a larger, higher car to match the economy of the Bora may be difficult. What you don't say is how much extra space you need. A Ford S-Max is a great car, but much longer and less economical than a C-Max.

There is no point looking at Audis. They are simply more expensive VWs with no more space. In reality you should be looking at Skoda Octavias, which are cheaper VWs. Similar engines, larger bodies and good economy and reliability.

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - focussed

Honda FRV has a very good reputation reliablity-wise,better even than most other Hondas for some strange reason and has huge space inside, unfortunately not made any more-worth a look.

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - funkybecky

Yes have glanced these a few times , just worried about the 2.2 engine and mpg, And insurance at the moment my insurance is around £300 fully comp

I dont need 7 seats, Space wise larger boot dont want a saloon again the bar across the back limits. Also dont want a eastate think there all the most ugly looking things reminds me of my grandad and as i am early 30s wouldnt mind a little style. The audi a3 came up matching if not slightly bettering my VW. :-)

Edited by funkybecky on 20/03/2014 at 08:46

I would say around 15,000 miles a year both short to and from work into town and also long with the kids anything from 1.5-3 hours depeding where we go.

Also resale value is something i look at my car dosent owe me anything and i will get £2000 for it, I intend to keep this next car for around 5 year maybe 6 so thought the merc b class would keep for good resale value ? Im very confussed never had trouble picking a car before, Past at 17 brought a 4 year old corsa had for 4 years then brought a focus 5 years old had for 4 years then my VW ..... Looking at nothing newer than a 08 plate to buy this time with no more than 11000miles and only ever buy diesel.

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - Chris79
If you want a diesel a3 then the 1.9tdi 105hp seems to have a good reputation. I had a 58 plate a3 and it was a nice reliable car in the 2.5 years I owned it. It was a 1.4 turbo rather than a diesel though.

Buying something pre 08 plate though with max 11000 miles on the clock strikes me as risky. That's only 2k a year. Probably difficult to find and not good for a car. Was this a typo?

Sorry nothing older than a 05 plate and nothing newer than a 08 plate though have just seen mazda 6 09 and 10 plates which a within budget ?

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - Chris79
Mazda diesels do not have a good reputation as opposed to the petrols which seem to be well thought of. An 08 a3 will have the 1.9 tdi in 105 hp guise.

The ford 1.8 tdci is not well thought of although the 2.0 tdci seems popular.
audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - Ed V

Have you thought about the Volvo V40 - there's a 1.6 Diesel.

If you're worried about mpg figures, I assume costs matter. In which case it might be best to look at the less prestige models - drop the Audi (fancy VWs) stuff.

Servicing costs may matter as much as mpg - diesels need a visit more often than petrol and labour costs will kill your cash flow!

I don't mind VW i have one already will only buy diesel. Have a fab honest car macanic if anything ever needs sorting, Does anyone know anyrthing about the merc b class 180 diesel ?

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - gordonbennet

Have a fab honest car macanic if anything ever needs sorting, Does anyone know anyrthing about the merc b class 180 diesel ?

He's the one to ask then, he's going to be working on it.

Avant, our very own Mod had a B Class Diesel, unimpressed just about covers it if i recall correctly, mind you he didn't invest in good ear defenders.

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - 1litregolfeater

I fancy a pretty little Suzuki no idea what model

£25 road tax apparantly

audi ,honda, ford, mercedes - Advice on what second hand car to buy - Avant

Becky - if you're happy with your Bora, the 1.9 diesel is a good engine so I'd suggest you find something bigger with the same engine. The Skoda Octavia had that engine in the price range you're looking at (avoid pre-2009 2-litre diesels), and you can have it as a very roomy hatchback as well as an estate (although personally I think the estate looks better).

There's also the bigger Skoda Superb and the VW Touran with that same 1,9 TDI engine. The Audi A3 is no good to you as it has less room than the Bora. You could have an A4 Avant whuch doesn't look too much like a esate, but you pay more for the Audi badge.

Yu would also pay more for a Mercedes. As GB says I had a B-class - a B200CDI, similar to the 180 - and the main reasons why I was unimpressed were the sluggish performance and especially the engine noise which sounded just like a London taxi.

Also remember that you pay more for a diesel of the same age as the eqjuivalent petrol, and high-mileage diesels can be very expensive when they go wrong. The suggestion of a Japanese petrol car like a Mazda 6 or Toyota Avensis is a good one.

Finally don't ignore Fords - the C-Max, Mondeo and S-max (in ascending order of size) could all suit your needs. And there are lots around to choose from.

I hope that helps!

Edited by Avant on 21/03/2014 at 21:45