Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - clare0512
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and am in need of some advice please. I've been looking to purchase a newish Ford fiesta and have finally found one that's not quite 4 years old and in my price range and its only done 12000 miles. The price is soooo good it's almost too good to be true if I'm honest (approx £1800 less than I'd expect it to be).
I've already carried out an HPI check and it's clear - I've not actually seen the car yet but I've been sent several photos and it looks immaculate inside and out!! I contacted the seller who has advised that she has taken a job in Germany recently and is there at the moment. She says she bought the car in feb, then got the job abroad so signed a contract with a car transport company called Ace uk holdco ltd and they currently have the car, keys and paperwork in their warehouse in Northumberland and will deal with the sale etc and can deliver the car to me for no extra cost (she has paid for delivery of the car anywhere in the uk). I've not yet contacted them but I've searched the web for reviews and can find absolutely nothing except various listings in company search directories. They are listed at companies house. Their web address is
intermediateservices.co.uk/index.html

I know there are scams out there whereby the buyer gives the intermediary money for the car then the car never turns up!! I have no intention of handing over any money without having the car and keys in my hand.

I was thinking of getting the RAC to do a full inspection on the basis that if the car doesn't actually exist (the photos could have been any random car) then Ace Uk holdco ltd will fob off the RAC so the appointment is never kept. That's my theory anyway!!

So, has anyone ever heard of Ace UK Holdco Ltd?? It just all seems a bit odd. The car is being sold for approx £1800 less than all other models of same year which I'm also suspicious about. If it is legit then I'll happily buy it but I need to be sure this is a real deal.

thank you

Edited by clare0512 on 16/03/2014 at 09:10

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - John Boy

This is one of the items found by a search for that company:

www.aut***ippers.co.uk/car_shipping_scam.htm

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - catsdad

Hi. If the company is legit it may still be a scam where their details are being misappropriated. There is a good article on aut***ippers website (another car shipping company) on how this is done. I would be very suspicious as the situation you describe has all the hallmarks of a con. Even if not a scam my experience is that markedly popular cars are cheap for a reason and you need to find out what it is By the way I see you are new but it's not great etiquette to post identical queries as you have done on at least one other site.

(Edit - I don't see why not, Catsdad. Clare is clearly genuine and looking for answers from people with experience.)

Edited by Avant on 16/03/2014 at 22:02

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - clare0512
Thank you for your quick replies. I am new and yes I have posted on another site but when I looked this morning there were no replies & I realised that its not such a "busy" forum as this one. I guessed I'd get responses here. I didn't realise that it wasn't a good thing to do so my apologies. I'll remove it from other forum.
I'll check out the articles mentioned- thanks.
Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - daveyjp
If someone is moving abroad and is happy to take a hit on their car (which if this is so cheap they must be) they would drive it to a local trader and sell it. Cash in hand immediately, end of their concerns on the car.

Why would you leave a car with some outfit and then have to spend time liaising with storage company, potential owners etc etc until it is sold.

Keep looking, this one has dodgy written all over it.
Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - gordonbennet

So £1800 underpriced on a very popular car, in storage with delivery pre paid to wherever you want it, couldn't be easier for the armchair buyer and far too good to be true.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole either, but i would make out i was interested with a temporary email address, just to see at what point they want some money sending in good faith.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/03/2014 at 11:18

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - Avant

Clare - welcome to the forum, I'm a moderator here and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't ask this genuine question on other forums too. After all, you're looking for answers and hopefully people will be helpful.

I agree with the others: if might be a scam and - it's a bit like overtaking - if in doubt, don't. Fortunately you're looking for a model that's in plentiful supply, so if I were you I'd give this one a miss and find another Fiesta.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - Scottie Boy

I couldn't agree more Avant, as the old saying goes ' if something sounds to good to be true it probably is'. My experience of any decent Ford Fiesta is that they hold their value fairly well and they do not lie on dealers forecourts for very long, I would gove this a wide berth Clare, better paying a bit extra for a guaranteed legitimate car than ending several thousands of pounds out of pocket. Good luck in your quest for a new car Clare

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - Scottie Boy

Just looked at their website, did you notice the pictures are all of foreign cars, even the car transporters are left hand drive Mercedes Actros' I am a Long Distance HGV driver and I have never seen these vehicles on UK roads Clare.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - Collos25

Variations of this scam run across the world and have done for years somebody must fall for it or they would not keep running it.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - Ethan Edwards

OK why not demand a test drive before parting with any money, tell them your prepared to travel to them for the test drive but won't have any money with you and will bring along your mechanic. Plus your idea about the RAC is a good one.

I think you'll find the quick responses from the 'Lads from Lagos - car sales division' either stop altogether or come up with ingenious excuses why you can't have a test drive. I'm 99.9999999% sure it's a scam.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - skidpan

Why even waste time asking the "seller" questions. There are tens of thousands of Fiestas for sale at prices to suit all budgets. Supermarkets are full of them.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - scot22

Agree with the consensus that its a scam. Also as Collos says, why waste any time on them ? They will continue to try it on hoping to catch someone. You can look elsewhere. Quite right to have sought advice ( and this is a very active forum with some very knowledgeable people ) - wish I had before I bought a diesel car ( my motoring totally unsuitable ) Good Luck looking.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - skidpan

Also as Collos says, why waste any time on them ?

Strange, I thought it was me who said that.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - agent.hunt

Hi

I've been looking for a car for the past few days, and I found some ads with prices too good to be true. Wheni contacted them, they sent me emails saying they are away/abroad, etc and that they can arrange for the car to be delivered and that money be paid if i am satisfied or the vehicle can be returned, balh, blah. My advice is DONOT fall for this. It's very tempting yes, but it's always best to go with brains than heart.

thanks

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - scot22

Apologies skidpan. Careless reading by me. Correction, as skidpan says, why waste time on them. I agree.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - grimep

This is a common scam, if you contact Autotrader the ad will usually be taken down within an hour or two. Luckily the scammers use the same or similar wording so copy-pasting their blurb into google usually throws up 'scam'.

Simple rule in life, if it seems to good to be true, it is.

Ford fiesta - Am I being scammed? - harry55

Keep well clear. As the old addages goes, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is! Caveat Emptor!!!