BMW 320d - Seized brake calliper - hugh946

The n/s front brake calliper recently seized. The first and only symptoms were juddering at 60-70 when I immediately slowed down to a smooth 30-40. I drove about 10 miles home like this and a further slow 10 miles a few days later to a garage for repair. I was not aware of any real braking effect but the road wheel was much too hot to touch afterwards.

The garage confirmed the seized calliper and also diagnosed a warped disc and (quite correctly) replaced both front discs but I wonder whether it is usual for a disc to be damaged after relatively few miles with a seized calliper. The discs had been replaced 15 months (2-3000 miles) earlier because of pitting. Recent damp and relative lack of use were blamed for the sticking.

Any comments/thoughts much appreciated.

BMW 320d - Seized brake calliper - Cyd

Yep. Lack of use can be a risk factor for siezed calipers.

Overheating any disc can lead to warping. Some are more prone than others.

Think about it: the disc must have been seriously hot for the wheel to be too hot to touch!

BMW 320d - Seized brake calliper - hugh946

Many thanks for your comments, which make excellent sense - thanks.

BMW 320d - Seized brake calliper - jc2

Wouldn't think that amount of heat would do the wheel bearings much good either!

BMW 320d - Seized brake calliper - Cyd

Wouldn't think that amount of heat would do the wheel bearings much good either!

also true. excess heat in the hub can cause the grease to overheat which leads to separation. Bearing failure will surely follow in the future. If the balls (or needles) and races got so hot as to cause 'blueing' then failure will be fairly rapid.

To be fair though, most cars can cook the brakes quite severely without affecting the bearings too badly. There's a lot of metalwork in the way first and air flow is generally good.