Any - Car replacement insurance. - davecooper

On my previous car, the dealer talked me into taking out the insurance that allows you have a new replacement car if yours is written off within the first year of ownership. However, this time round I have declined this. Is this a worthwhile thing to have and do the insurance companies offer the same as an add on to their policies?

Edited by Avant on 24/02/2014 at 20:56

Any - Cer replacement insurance. - skidpan
On my previous car, the dealer talked me into taking out the insurance that allows you have a new replacement car if yours is written off within the first year of ownership

Most (if not all) insurance policies include a new replacement car if yours is written off within 12 months of purchase and you are the first registered keeper. After that several companies offer what is called GAP insurance. Do a Google.

Any - Cer replacement insurance. - gordonbennet

NFU offer, or did when i was with them, two years vehicle replacement on new vehicles as part of the standard comprehensive policy, might be worth getting a quote when renewal is due, despite them being one of the more expensive (and about the best) insurers, it might be cost effective.

Any - Cer replacement insurance. - davecooper
Thanks. I will ask my current insurer (Post Office) when I get a quote for the new the car.
Any - Cer replacement insurance. - RT
Thanks. I will ask my current insurer (Post Office) when I get a quote for the new the car.

Have a look at the policy !

Any - Cer replacement insurance. - Bladerrw

There seem to be 3 schemes available. In the event of writing off your car inside the first X number of years, you can get repaid the difference between your insurers payout and

1 Your outstanding finance payments

2. Your original purchase price

3. Your original purchase price plus inflation i.e the current price of your model.

There are probably more variations.

When I bought my Audi A6 (£26k), version 2 was offered by the dealer at a cost of £500+ for 3 years. By going to an online broker I got the cover for £110. For that sort of cost it seemed a good offer.

If the accident was in year 3, the insurers would give me what? say £10k. The GAP insurance would have to pay out £16k.

Being the sort of person who hates insurance, I would usually say, "I'll take the risk and if it goes bad, I'll find a £10k A6", but for £110 I took the bet.

When I bought my Audi A6 (£26k), version 2 was offered by the dealer at a cost of £500+ for 3 years. By going to an online broker I got the cover for £110. For that sort of cost it seemed a good offer.

If the accident was in year 3, the insurers would give me what? say £10k. The GAP insurance would have to pay out £16k..

But when you get to the end of the finance without a write-off, you need to cover the £16k depreciation yourself without any contribution from your insurer - so if insurers cover the 1st year anyway (mine always have) and you cover the depreciation - what is there to be insured ?

Any - Cer replacement insurance. - daveyjp
I actually see return to invoice gap as depreciation insurance, becuase that is what it is. It helps me make the decision not to buy it!
Any - Cer replacement insurance. - Bladerrw

Quote:

But when you get to the end of the finance without a write-off, you need to cover the £16k depreciation yourself without any contribution from your insurer - so if insurers cover the 1st year anyway (mine always have) and you cover the depreciation - what is there to be insured ?

I don't understand your argument. I'm insuring to cover the depreciation for three years for an outlay of £110. I think that's a worthwhile deal.

Obviously if I don't have a write off in the period then I'm £110 down but that's how insurance works.

Quote:

I don't understand your argument. I'm insuring to cover the depreciation for three years for an outlay of £110. I think that's a worthwhile deal.

Obviously if I don't have a write off in the period then I'm £110 down but that's how insurance works.

Yes - it's gambling, pure and simple - £110 stake against the depreciation - but most drivers do try to avoid accidents, despite the statistics.

You'd get better odds/returns at the bookies on a greyhound !!

Any - Cer replacement insurance. - alan1302

Like you say it's a gamble - some people like a gamble and some people would rather play it safe.

Any - Car replacement insurance. - RT

Like you say it's a gamble - some people like a gamble and some people would rather play it safe.

Or do both!

Any - Car replacement insurance. - martint123

SAGA, 2 years "new for old" on a new car.

Any - Car replacement insurance. - davecooper
Going to look at SAGA again this time round. In the past, I have found their quotes not to be that competitive. I always found this strange considering they make claims about older drivers being a lower risk and as a result they can offer lower premiums.
Any - Car replacement insurance. - martint123

They used to be comparatively expensive for me in the past, but down to £130 now (rural, old git). Saved 65p by adding my brother as a named driver!