Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - iFocus
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting rid of my golf tdi for something petrol with less to go wrong. I.e no turbo, dmf and dpf.

I've narrowed down my search to the 2 cars in the subject. Does anyone have any experience of these cars? Especially the mondeo, how do you find it with it having a 1.6 petrol engine, what's the mpg like and reliability?

You may wonder why I've selected these 2 but I want something that's reliable, petrol, revvy and good handling with a decent engine. I did consider the focus 1.6 but it seems lacklustre with only 100bhp and the 1.8 version is too thirsty compared to the Civic. If you have any other suggestions feel free to mention them.

Cheers

BRG
Anyone?
Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - bazza

Civic I reckon. Powerful 1.8, exceptionally economical for its output, roomy, reliable bar a few suspension foibles, large boot. Poor visibility though.

Modeo -very large and heavy. 1.6 powerful but may struggle in a car so large. I would think power to weight ration much better in the Honda.

Unless you actually need a car as big as the Mondeo why bother?

I have a 1.6 Focus, it is adequate but the 1.8 Civic is a far more powerful car ( a friend has one) and better all rounder.

I don't need a big a car as a Mondeo all the time, just occasionally.

The Golf is most of the time adequate, but sometimes falls a bit short not having fold flat seats etc.

I only bought the Golf 8 months ago, but with the DMF going so soon, and the fact I hate the car don't inspire me with any confidence whatsoever.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - SteveLee

If you like revving cars then you're going to burn fuel - don't overlook the 1.6 Auris T spirit if you want a revvy sporty drive with good economy.

If you don't mind autos or CVTs and your budget is sufficient, the Auris Hybrid 1.8 VVTi T spirit is grunty (though not rapid) but returns staggering fuel economy.

In the Mondeo sector I'd go for a bog standard Avensis 1.8 petrol over the Mondeo if economy is the #1 priority - the Mondeo is a better car in every other way..

Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - Avant

If the Civic is big enough for you, then so is a Focus, which is also available as an estate. The 1.8 petrol engine will be livelier than the 1.6 and very little thirstier.

I'd have a Focus over a Civic, largely because I think the Civic's rear visibility is so bad as to be dangerous.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - drd63
I did have a 1.8 civic and agree about rear visibility.
I don't mind having to rev an engine if you are rewarded with something at the top end but with the civic there was nothing, anywhere! Can't comment on the Ford 1.6 but it has to be a better engine.

"has got to be better"? History is not with you on this one my friend, Ford are known to generally tune for the midrange - very rarely producing sweet revving engines - unless Yamaha are involved. (1.25 and 1.7) - Honda on the other hand have a long line of sweet revvy engines.

I prefer engines that deliver usable performance in the mid-range - whether on two or four wheels.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - Oli rag

Am I to assume we're talking about a mondeo with a turbo boost engine? If not, the civic is going to be far far livlier.

Nah it's the 1.6 Ti-VCT engine, 125 bhp.
Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - artill

I really wouldnt buy a Mondeo with that engine. The car is far too big for a petrolengine of that size. Performance will be awful, and so will economy as you will have to drive it hard just to move it. In comparison the Civic is a much better bet.

The turbocharged Petrol 1.6 Mondeo is a world apart, having a bit more power, but far more torque making it an easier and probably more economical drive

Only telling it as it was Guys. As I say I did have a 1.8 Civic, also had a 2.0 Accord a 2.4 Accord and an S2000, all lovely engines so I know Honda can make great engines however their 1.8 effort is woeful, no low end grunt, no real midrange and when revved the noise just went up. At the time Honda were boasting of the power of a 2.0l with the economy of a 1.6l. Neither claim was true. I changed it for a 2.0l which had more power and economy. My wife also has a Hyundai Coupe, more powerful and much better real world economy. I like Honda as a company but haven't bought one since.

The 150PS 2 litre fited to the CR-V and older (UK) Honda Civic Type-S was a lovely engine - grunty and fairly economical - shame they overtuned it in other guises. The 2.4 was a nice engine but hopelessly uneconomical with a very snatchy off/on throttle response.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol vs Honda Civic 1.8 - catsdad
I have a Civic 1.8 petrol and have had Mondeos in the past. If you don't need a large car then my vote would be the Civic. It's chain driven cam, sensible wheel and tyre combination, I get low 40's mileage. The two issues raised on this thread are rear visibility and the engine and these do divide people as to whether they are issues in practice or not. For me I find there are no blind spots between the windscreen and door mirrors and while I don't like the bar across the rear window it's only a minor irritation. I don't think it's a safety issue as any following vehicle is still visible with the exception of a narrow strip. Overall visibility is no worse than if you have passengers in the back of any car for example. As for the engine I like its low revs economical performance which is more tractable than my previous Mondeos before their diesel turbos kicked in and I like the way it responds above 3000 revs when I do need a bit of oomph. I am not saying I am right and others are wrong but what are issues for some are not for others so I suggest you drive both and see how you get on.

I went for a Civic in the end. :)

I pick it up this Saturday coming.

Cheers

BRG

I hope you enjoy it, for all my moaning it's a really comfy car, great front seats, quiet, good handling and good looking IMO better looking than others in it's class
I hope you enjoy it, for all my moaning it's a really comfy car, great front seats, quiet, good handling and good looking IMO better looking than others in it's class