BMW 330Ci Sport 2004 - Wheels & Tyres - Granville

The car is on 18 inch rims which get 'kerbed' & give a hard ride...we are now in our 70s & would like a bit more comfort . The tyres are 225 front & 245 back X 45 . Would we be better going for either 17 or 16 inch rims ? Could we have 225 back & front ? The tyres will need changing this year & do 4-5000 pa. Could we go for an all season tyre ?

The car has been BMW serviced for all of its 46000 miles . We have been advised of a good BMW independant garage . Is there anything special to look out for at 10 years old ?

Many thanks...............Granville

BMW 330Ci Sport 2004 - Wheels & Tyres - skidpan

The car is on 18 inch rims which get 'kerbed' & give a hard ride...we are now in our 70s & would like a bit more comfort .

Fitting new wheels will not prevent kerbing, only driving more carefully will prevent that.

Before you change anything speak to your insurers. Providing you stick with one of the manufacturers original factory fitments you are normally OK.

Problem is it's a 330 which may have big brakes and prevent smaller wheels being fitted.

Suggest you speak to your local BMW dealer. He will have a list of possible fitments for your car.

BMW 330Ci Sport 2004 - Wheels & Tyres - gordonbennet

As Skidpan mentions, brakes could be the headache here, ideally the ultra sensible 205/55 x 16 tyre and wheel combo from other E46 BMWs.

The friendly make specific forum BMWland would be a good place to ask this question.

An alternative size for winter fitments might be mentioned in your handbook, and might even be listed on the tyre spec/pressure sticker that your car should have, if 16" are listed there you should be in business.

If you're buying new tyres anyway then i would definately agree going all season makes sense, might be worth delaying the purchase of these though until the winter (we haven't yet had) season is over and prices get back to normal.

BMW 330Ci Sport 2004 - Wheels & Tyres - Collos25
My son has a fairly new 330 it has 21" wheels the smallest it will take are 17" whether the OP has the same I would not know but as previously stated changing tyre and wheel size is not as easy as you think.Changing wheel size would near were I live help with kerbing damage to the wheel as there are a lot of low kerbs but without greater care would increase tyre damage.