Mazda MX5 - MX-5 Water in boot - Rockfordman

My wife has a 2011 MX5 with a retractable hardtop. She's had it from new. This winter, water has somehow got into the boot, saturated the carpets, something that didn't happen last winter, nor with her previous MX5 (softtop) which she had for over 5 years.

So, today we get the Mazda dealer to check it out... not the easiest problem to diagnose, I admit, but this is their answer... you park the car on a sloped drive, that's part of the problem, also this winter has been very wet, that's the other part of the problem. So, we can't do anything, but suggest that you park it the other way round, so the boot is uppermost on the slope. These cars, and I quote, 'aren't designed for slopes and very wet weather'.

I was lost for words. So, being a regular web-visitor to Honest John, I thought I'd see if anyone out there can add anything? Are they talking less twaddle than I think?

Mazda MX5 - MX-5 Water in boot - skidpan

Their answer may have been valid for a 1970's Triumph Spitfire but for a Mazda MX5 they are having a laugh. No modern car should leak, even siftops like you previous MX5 kept the weather out.

Suggest that you perhaps have a word with Mazda customer services. Its the delaers responsibility to fix the car but a bit of leverage may help. If not an e-mail to one of the glossy magazines may help, they soemtimes take up cases for readers, helps fill a few pages but no doubt they only write about sucessful ones.

Mazda MX5 - MX-5 Water in boot - carlosfandango
I also have a mx5 2011 reg and have the exact same problem. I do park it facing upwards on the drive, will try facing it down to see if it makes any differance.
Mazda MX5 - MX-5 Water in boot - ohsoslow

The soft-tops have drains behind the seats which in time can get blocked. I use a curtain wire to push down the drain tube. I assume the MK3 is the same as the older models for this. What the arrangement for the PRHT is I don't know.