Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - trev33
I have a 54 plate vectra 2.2direct design and I'm thinking of changing the standard exhaust system for a stainless setup but there is no cut outs on the rear bumper for this .. Do I need a new bumper or just the valance ?? And would I see a worth while increase in performance ?? And also any tips or advice any one can give to help ?....
Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - skidpan
And would I see a worth while increase in performance ?? And also any tips or advice any one can give to help ?....

If more noise = better performance then it will be an improvement but in the real world you will find very little (if any) difference. Years ago standard exhausts were very restrictive, that is not really the case today. The main area where there are real improvements can be found are in the manifold, the cast ones are fitted simply because they are cheap and easy to fit. Tubular ones are generally where real improvements can be had, at a price.

You must tell your insurers since they class such changes as a modification.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - RT

Going back 20 years, before catalytic converters, Vauxhall exhaust manifolds were reasonable free-flowing with long intermediate runners - but CATs on more recent engines, which need to go close to the engine to get hot quickly, mean that any power/economy improvements are "snake oil".

Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - gordonbennet

Whats the score on getting a standard non performance stainless system made up when the mild steel version rots away, whilst a sensible alternative for some people is it still an insurance problem?

Reagrding our OP's situation, i too doubt there will be any worthwhile power gains unless you're losing a secondary CAT or something, and whilst i can fully understand someone with a V5/6/8 etc desiring a bit more enjoyment of the sound of their engine, a straight 4 is, IMO, just about the most horrible sounding engine ever made and the exhaust should be as unobtrusive as possible....unless this Vexer happens to be a V6 or VXR of course..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/02/2014 at 14:56

Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - RT

I think the ONLY Vauxhall that can be made to sound good is the VXR8 - and the Aussies did a good job as standard!

Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - gordonbennet

V6's can sound pretty good too, 70's Grannies and Capris sounded lush enough to me.

For a proper engine sound fix listen to a few Deltic Trains with their lovely Napier two stroke supercharged Diesels on Youtube, heaven.

Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - Sofa Spud

A new stainless steel exhaust for a 10 year-old Vauxhall Vectra?

QUOTE:...""For a proper engine sound fix listen to a few Deltic Trains with their lovely Napier two stroke supercharged Diesels on Youtube, heaven.""

Or perhaps the sound of a 5-litre single-cylinder two-stroke diesel.........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk3881dxLNA

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/02/2014 at 19:47

Vauxhall Vectra C - Sports exhaust - unthrottled

With close coupled cat(s) most of the back pressure is in the 'hot' section of the exhaust rather than the silencing. If you drive the car hard mild steel is perfectly sufficient for corrosion protection.