Should I diclose my car is an import? - Perturbed
I've got a dilema! - I have an imported Focus, but the reg doc shows "new at first registration". The only give away is my Service Book which shows where the car originally came from (Belgium) The car is 100% UK spec

I've been offered a reasonable trade in figure against a new car at my local dealer, who gave the price without asking if it was an import or even going out to check the car over. I bought the new car and signed the order etc.

Am I right to say nothing to the dealer or will he have some come back if he checks the service manual?
Should I diclose my car is an import? - mal
What if you were buying it off him and you did not ask....

Theres your answer!.
I don't know what you mean? Are you saying I shouldn't say anything?
If you were buying the same car car off the dealer, went away happy with the car and then discovered to your disappointment it was an import because you forgot to ask him , there is nothing you would be able to do about it.
Should I diclose my car is an import? - KB.
If he didn't ask - then so be it. He obviously wasn't sufficiently worried, otherwise he would have done. It not a crime and there's no deception - had he asked you'd have told him. If they'd sold their cars at a more reasonable price in the first place you wouldn't have imported one.

KB.
"let the buyer beware works both ways" unless you want to be a very very morale person and offer the dealer more money to make you feel better about the deal.
Thanks guys - I was starting to get pangs of worry that he may be able to come back at me in some way.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - Wales Forester
With the number of imports floating about, the dealers should ask, if they don't, then why be forthcoming with the info?!
Keep it to yourself. I'd even go as far as to remove any import related info from the service book if thats at all possible without making it look suspicious.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - KB.
That might not be so easy as they probably stamped inside the front cover - I ordered a UK replacement when new so that all the service stamps show up there.

KB.
Yeah KB, just got my pa to look at the service book on his 02 plate imported Mondeo Est, it has a sticker from the Belgian dealer covering the whole of the inside of the front page, so you're right, doesn't seem to be an option, ah well, it was a thought.

Perturbed, does your car show you as the first keeper, or was the importer the first?
Should I disclose my car is an import? - googolplex
why does having an imported car create such a problem? Most cars in this country get made abroad anyway. If its the same spec as UK cars then, except for warranty maybe, I can't see why its worth getting worked up about. They all work the same don't they?

Splodgeface
Should I disclose my car is an import? - Mark (RLBS)
>>Keep it to yourself. I'd even go as far as to remove any import related info from the service book if thats at all possible without making it look suspicious.

Now, if you got home and found your newly bought car was an import you'd probably be peeved, but if you hadn't asked, maybe (?) that is your issue.

However, if you found out that the dealer had deliberately hidden the fact by removing pages from the service book, you'd probably not only be really annoyed, you'd probably also sue him.

Here's a radical idea - be honest. Say to him that its an import. Maybe he doesn't care.

If you don't, then you are about to do something which I am sure you wouldn't like if it was done to you and I suspect that you have complained about. Its called cheating someone, even if it is within the law.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - midlifecrisis
I bought my wifes Fiesta from a Renault main dealer. There was no mention of it being an import. I didn't find out until the logbook arrived. When I rang the dealer, his reply amounted to 'hard luck'.
If they'll do it to you, do it to them.
I have to disagree with you on this, M (RBLS). I don't think it's any more (or less ) of a cheat than most dealers would inflict on most customers, given the chance. I'm sure that almost every one of us here have encountered a spot of 'mild deception' by a dealer. Buying cars is a minefield - from the back street dealer operating from home or under a railway arch.....through to Main Dealers who are, in no way, exempt from occasional deviations from the whole truth.

For sure, I would sooner disclose the fact in order to ease my conscience, but 'perterbed' has done what he done (or didn't do) and is asking the views of others and it seems that most support his course.

Your idea would be better if he'd not committed himself and he could then notify the dealer and depending on the outcome, could go elsewhere if need be.

KB.
I have to disagree with you on this, M (RBLS). I don't think it's any more (or less ) of a cheat than most dealers would inflict on most customers, given the chance. I'm sure that almost every one of us here have encountered a spot of 'mild deception' by a dealer. Buying cars is a minefield - from the back street dealer operating from home or under a railway arch.....through to Main Dealers who are, in no way, exempt from occasional deviations from the whole truth.

For sure, I would sooner disclose the fact in order to ease my conscience, but 'perterbed' has done what he done (or didn't do) and is asking the views of others and it seems that most support his course.

Your idea would be better if he'd not committed himself and he could then notify the dealer and depending on the outcome, could go elsewhere if need be.

KB.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - DavidHM
The fact is, the dealer is a trader and it's down to him to ask the questions. There's no need to tell the dealer - it will give him the opportunity to renegotiate an existing contract that appears to be complete as it is - and in law it's his own lookout for not asking. If the dealer were to insist on paying less for the trade in, in theory at least, P could sue - and win, assuming that he's got forms and so on with the trade in value stated.

Whatever happens, either the car will be auctioned or sold on the forecourt, if it fits, without telling the next owner - so why give the dealer extra profit margin?

Whatever 'Perturbed' has done, it's all legal and in the past. In a situation like this, where a dealer is bound to be aware of the issues, I wouldn't let this get to my conscience and no fraud has been committed, so there's no comeback either.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - No Do$h
I have to express a certain amount of cynicism with regard to the perceived lower value of imports. If it's a UK spec from the same factory and has a comparable warranty (or is outside the original warranty) then there's is naff-all difference.

Having worked in the trade I smell a profit-margin expander in operation.

My car is an Eire import, an ex Alfa/Fiat Eire company car. Same warranty, same spec, lower milage than most similar uk cars, price £1.5k lower as so many punters had walked away from it as an "import". The trade decided that imports should have lower values so they could get some cheap p/exs, now they whine when the punter wants a slice of the deal or wont touch imports. And as for arguing that the customer got a substantial discount in the first place so should get a lower px, well I don't see that same logic being applied to ex-fleet cars where the discounts can be as high as 45% new.

Fortunately the numbers are getting much closer these days. If I were Peturbed (the person, not the state of mind) I would simply do the handover, telling him the handbook and service records are in the glovebox. Unless the order specified that the was p/ex was a UK car the dealer has no comeback.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - Steve G
Glass's guide and CAP dont have seperate values for personal imports because there is no reason to value imports differently.
I agree with Mark, tell the dealer.
If he is a honest dealer he will apprieciated your honesty and NOT de-value your car because there is no reason to.
IMO its best to do any deal in a open honest way.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - Mark (RLBS)
Point is KB, until he started this thread I agree with you. Until then it was simply that the dealer hadn't asked.

However, starting the thread tends to show an awareness of being about to potentially disadvantage someone else and considering whether or not one would get away with it.. Never mind people suggesting removing pages form the service book to hide it which must be close to fraud given the intent.

However, aside from all that, and even though a dealer would perhaps do it to a customer, I would still tell the dealer.

I'd feel better about it and have never found "well they'd do it to me" as sufficient justification for dropping to their level.

There are so many Imported vehicles on the market now. It doesn't matter whether you're a trader or a private buyer, if the fact that the vehicle you're looking to buy may be an import is something that concerns you, you should ask. If you don't and later you find it is an import then it's tough, you should have done your homework.
Same thing applies to vehicle history checks, such as HPi. If you don't bother with that type of thing and you later find that the car was accident repaired or that the mileage was false or the vehicle had outstanding finance against it, then you have little or no comeback.
All down to how much u do your homework and how much these things concern you at the end of the day.
Should I diclose my car is an import? - Martin Wall
Caveat emptor works both ways - if he doesn't ask you don't need to say. No need to lie and don't start messing around with the service book as that is lying!

As long as the car is a model sold in the UK to UK spec than you don't have a problem.
Should I disclose my car is an import? - Union Jack
Perturbed

If I were you (and I often am perturbed!) I would wait to see what HJ has to say on the subject, both generally and specific to your case. I'm sure that he will have very pertinent views.

Jack
Should I disclose my car is an import? - Perturbed
Your all making me feel much better, HJ - any comments?
Should I disclose my car is an import? - mozzer
Well here's my two pen'orth..

I had exactly this dilemma when trading in my previous car... I decided not to mention the fact that my 406 V6 exec was an import - especially since the salesman didn't ask me...! All went swimmingly and I'm now the proud owner a gleaming (almost) new Bimmer 5-series. However, I have subseqently noticed the following on the "New/Used vehicle order" form that I have signed:- Under the section headed "Part Exchange" it specifically states amongst the usual stuff detailing make/model etc... "Is this vehicle imported from overseas?" The salesman had already ticked "No" and, at the time, I didn't notice that this stipulation existed! So, this issue is obviously a matter of interest - at least for some dealers. Therefore, I'd say beware... In my case, I haven't had any comeback and it's been over 12 months now... But, I guess there's always a possibility???
Should I diclose my car is an import? - SteveH42
If the dealer doesn't ask then there is no point potentially muddying the waters.

When I traded my Tipo for the Yaris, I was felt a bit guilty because it was in quite a state, but the dealer had offered me £1700 without even looking at it. Had he asked to have a good look then I would have had no problem in him knocking that valuation down considerably, but he didn't, and he was very good and helpful when I took the Yaris back for it's 600 mile service and to have a few things replaced that were missing when I bought it, so it can't have bothered him that much anyway.

As others have said, a car is a car is car, so it doesn't really matter where it came from as long as the spec is the same. I don't know where Focii are built, but it quite likely came off the same production line as those you see in the UK anyway.
I've checked the order form over and it doesn't ask anywhere about it being imported on the section about the trade in. The only thing that it asks is:

1) It was not used abroad before being registered in the UK (it wasn't)
2) It has not been used for self drive hire (it hasn't)
3) It has not been involved in an accident (it hasn't)
4) It is not the subject of a total loss claim (it hasn't)
5) It is not subject to HP or other encumbrances (it's not)

Its then got a section that asks me to sign to say all the above are true and accurate, which I do

Guess I'm just a natural born worrier!
Should I diclose my car is an import? - guss
if your car is in good condition and you have declared any faults them the fact it is an import is an irrelevance. if its uk spec its the exact same as any ford dealer has on the forcourt.honest dealers will pay book price any one who tells you its worth less is out to make a quick buck!
Should I diclose my car is an import? - Martin Wall
The section on the form about the car not being in an accident is a bit annoying - I didn't know this was standard practice - given how many car accidents there are does this mean that a dealer won't accept a car that has been in an accident? What if your carhas been - do they just score through this part of the form???
I think they would just use it as another method to beat you down on price!
Disclosing import - an update! - Perturbed
I posted this last week:

[I've got a dilema! - I have an imported Focus, but the reg doc shows "new at first registration". The only give away is my Service Book which shows where the car originally came from (Belgium) The car is 100% UK spec

I've been offered a reasonable trade in figure against a new car at my local dealer, who gave the price without asking if it was an import or even going out to check the car over. I bought the new car and signed the order etc.

Am I right to say nothing to the dealer or will he have some come back if he checks the service manual?]

Well the dealer phoned tonight to say he has HPI'd the car and was it an import. I replied "yes" and he immediately came back at me saying there was a problem as the car is worth less than he has given me for it..etc..etc

I tols him this was a problem as I couldn't afford any more for the new one and I left it with him going off to make some phone calls and I don't think he's going to ring back tonight. As the garage have signed the order form etc, and I haven't lied about anything I was asked on the night, do you think they now will legally be able to go back on the deal? I fully expect he is going to come back and try to get more money out of me
Disclosing import - an update! - mal
Just a thought, with you mentioning HPI,there is'nt anything on yuor half of the order form which states "subject to HPI check" is there.
Disclosing import - an update! - JamesH
I had a look at the original thread (which Mark may move this one onto) and you said that the documents you signed asked no questions about whether this was an import. I didn't think an HPI check would show a car was a parallel import.

If the dealer tries to get out or demands more money from you then it would seem to be a breach of contract - unless there is some get out clause for him (and there could be).

How old is the Focus? If it's W reg or older, a UK car's warranty would have run out. Without a warranty difference, as your car has UK spec there is absolutely nothing intrinsically different between it and an official import.

Hold your ground - it seems to be the dealer's mistake for not asking the import question earlier.

James
I've scrutinised the order form tonight front and back and can't see anything. There is a box for HPI check on service history and HPI method, but they are not filled in.

The car is a year 2000 W and is out of warranty now. It is 100% UK spec and is in perfect condition with very low miles
Disclosing import - an update! - T Lucas
If he asks for more money tell him to stick it,(in a very dark place)there are plenty of dealers out there that will make a deal with you!
Disclosing import - an update! - Mark (RLBS)
Serves you right. You knowingly indulged in a bit of behaviour that you would have found shocking if the dealer had done it to you.

You intentionally didn't tell him something that you were pretty sure he would want to know because he didn't specifically ask.

Now that might be legal, but it sure ain't moral.

You don't have to actually tell an untruth to be considered to be behaving in a misleading, fraudulent or dishonest manner.

And you do understand that even though he didn't ask, intentionally not telling him somethign that you thought he would want to know is deceiving him for gain. It may or may not be proveable, but it is deception.

Even if the dealer doesn't come after you for extra money, I would have thought the worry was a little bit of well-deserved poetic justice.
Disclosing import - an update! - KB.
As, I'm sure you know, I generally prefer to avoid contentious issues and keep my head down, but on this one occasion I feel moved to say I found your reply to P was unnecessarily sharp and judgemental. He had said that the matter was troubling him and he obviously wasn't adopting an "up yours - I'm doing it whatever they say" attitude. It was, as he says, a dilemma for him and he asked the views of the panel and, by and large, he received responses that supported his actions. He hasn't been rude or offensive - he just asked a question and, as I say, I'd have far sooner seen you put your point of view in more measured tones as was befitting the nature of the thread and not start the reply with " serves you right".

Have no wish that this one degenerates into personal disagreements and I've said my bit and trust that you accept my thoughts as they were intended.

Regards,

KB.
Fair enough.

However, whilst I didn't mean it at a personal level, I do think that to an extent it does serve him right.

Had he done the right (in this instance I mean what I think was right) he wouldn't now be worrying about stuff, although he may be a little poorer.

But he knew his car was an import, he knew it would be relevant to a dealer, but he relied on specifically not being asked.

Like I said, maybe legal but hardly moral.

And as for the dilemma, I think if you read the thread again the dilemma was not whether or not it would be right thing to do to tell the dealer, but more oriented around whether he could legally get away with not telling him. - not really the same thing.

Had someone done sucha thing to you KB, or I, we would have felt aggrieved.

Disclosing import - an update! - DavidHM
All true. However, I think the practical consequence of telling the dealer would be helping the dealer to make more profit out of the next punter that came along and didn't ask - you can bet that the reduction in price on the trade in wouldn't be passed on.

Also, I admit that I treated the question primarily as a legal one. However, the whole point of going to a dealer, rather than a private punter, is that it is his job to ask the right questions and be aware of any problems - this works in the individiual's favour, as a buyer or seller. I wouldn't advocate treating a buyer the same way in a private sale, but that's not what this was.
I am not explaining this very well, David.

I agree with what you say. However, there is a difference between me unwittingly not telling a dealer something because he didn't ask and I didn't know it was relevant to him and me *knowing* that something was relevant to him and intentionally not volunteering the informaton.

And really, just because the dealer may behave badly isn't really justification for doing so oneself.

As someone once told me, the main advantage of telling the truth is never having to remember what you said.
Disclosing import - an update! - joe
I cannot help but compare this thread with another recent thread, started by the chap who bought a golf on a private sale only to find out there was something wrong with the engine that the seller had obviously known about. He wondered if he should sue for the repair bill.

The overwhelming consensus of opinion on this site was "tough luck" and "caveat emptor" The thread got quite hostile to him I recall.

Why does a different set of rules appear to apply to this case? What if the seller knew that there was something mechanically wrong with the car, should he have volunteered that?

Surely traders should be expected to look after themselves. No-one condones lying etc, but there is no duty to volunteer all that may be wrong with a car so as to give a buyer lots of negotiating points to use.

Stick to your guns my friend.
Disclosing import - an update! - Blue {P}
There's no way that I would even tell a private buyer that my car was an import, let alone a dealer unless they asked. Some may find that immorale, but then I find using the fact the car was imported as an excuse for reducing the price equally bad.

What possible difference does it make? The car is identical to every other Fiesta that rolled off the production line at Dagenham (yes, it still had the fatory despatch stickers and various print outs in the glovebox, and wrapped around a front suspension spring:) It was then sent to R.O.I. before been shipped back to the UK.

Looking forward to the response from this one. :)
Blue
Disclosing import - an update! - moosh
No difference.

Just Ford's daft pricing policy. This caused unecessary transport and shipping of the vehicle.
Wow - thanks for your honesty!

To be honest I've got to say that in a way I'm now quite pleased that the dealer knows, and that eventually whatever happens I'll be able to walk in there and hold my head up.

On the subject of dealer honesty, after all thats been said in this thread, he talked to me tonight about Glass's guide listing my car price as substantially lower than a "UK" car - Honesty should work both ways shouldn't it? Reading the other postings (but never having seen inside Glass's guide), they all reckon the 100% UK spec import is supposed to be worth the same!

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of our forthcoming discussions

Value my car