Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - mitch29

Hi,

I am a young professional female who in August 2012 bought my first car (cash) a Hyundai i30. I had read copious reviews on the reliability of the vehicle which game at the tie with 2 years free service left on it and 4 years left of its 5-year warranty.

I have since purchasing the vehicle kept its full service history. The car was serviced in October 2013 by Macklin Motors (whom I purchased the vehicle from). The car showed no issues - although a fuel filter wasn't changed during this time.

Further to this the car was MOT in January 2014. It was noted there was a slight delay in power uptake when accelerating up gears, by my local mechanic. I booked the car in thinking it was a spark plug etc. The local mechanic found nothing wrong.

A week later I was accelerating past a car reaching 60mph where the car lost all power and ground to a halt. No engine lights appeared. The car restarted and after ALOT of reassurance (nearly swiped out by a lorry) from my father, I drove the car home on the dual carriageway at 40mph.

I immediately checked the car back into my local mechanic, who ran diagnostic checks and ran the vehicle out locally. No indication of engine failure AT ALL.

I drove it away and the engine failed 5 times on the way home. Each time restarting no problem. The vehicle showed the manufactures lights permeantly. I then rang a Hyundai garage after consulting Macklin Motors.

They booked the vehicle in 2 weeks after I phoned. Refusing to collect the motor or provide a courtesy car.

The fault: THE CAR WAS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE NEW CHANGES IN BIO- DIESEL. (Which occurred in November). 2 options:

1. A new filter would need to be fitted costing £118

2. Entire engine clear out for £350- Hyundai would subsidize £70 = £280

Both with no guarantee it would solve the problem.

I assured the problem was happening nation wide and was extremely common. The warranty would not cover the cost of the fuel, and that it was a result of new bio changes in Diesel.

I have only ever used Shell since I have bought the car (as claim VAT on shell only fuel). I wrote to Shell who advised me that Hyundai Manufactures were responsible for car compatibility and that there fuel was in line with EU guidelines.

Can you please advise on the above???

Any help deeply appreciated.

Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - Collos25

Is the car a diesel or petrol because you mention spark plugs I assume that is a mistake on your part,what you have been told is complete rubbish and what you have been charged is tantamount to robbery.

Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - RT

There has been a MINIMUM of 7% biofuel in diesel for a few years now - it's part of EU standards that all cars have to meet so there is NO chance that Hyundai or any other brand are compatible with the fuel.

There have been some contaminated batches of diesel just before Xmas, predominantly along the eastern side of the UK - since fuel of all brands comes from one source in a specific area, with branded additives added later then you may just have been unlucky.

Edited by RT on 16/02/2014 at 19:51

Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - gordonbennet

I have no idea whether the diagnosis is rubbish or not, but it sounds odd.

What does concern me though is that you appear to have independent mechanics looking at, and presumably working on, your Hyundai which is still in makers warranty.

Whilst this is probably permissable, technically, if they are using genuine parts (i'm unsure of the wording of the makers warranty re this), its not going to get you any goodwill from the maker in the event of a problem...indeed this might go some way to explaining the answer you have been given.

If i've misread your post and its only been worked on by Hyundai main dealers, then i apologise.

The car is a Diesel 1.6 CDRI. 2011 Reg. The car has been 'sluggish' for about a month before it cut out (two new tanks of fuel during that period- the car was 1/2 tank full when cut out) it is still hesitant when accelerating. The car is drivable - just my confidence has been knocked. I was charged by a Hyundai, for an hour’s labour and a new filter cartridge was fitted. With 20% VAT the cost was £118. My issue with regards to labour and cost is that the car is under warranty and Hyundai suggested that Shell was at fault therefore the warranty would not cover it. Shell begged to differ in their email. I really want to know is this a common occurrence with Hyundai? Apparently lots of Fords have been having the same issue (woman at Hyundai). Or I am I being fed a whole lot of twaddle??!!

The car is a Diesel 1.6 CDRI. 2011 Reg.

The car has been 'sluggish' for about a month before it cut out (two new tanks of fuel during that period- the car was 1/2 tank full when cut out) it is still hesitant when accelerating. The car is drivable - just my confidence has been knocked.

I was charged by a Hyundai, for an hour’s labour and a new filter cartridge was fitted. With 20% VAT the cost was £118.

My issue with regards to labour and cost is that the car is under warranty and Hyundai suggested that Shell was at fault therefore the warranty would not cover it.

Shell begged to differ in their email.

I really want to know is this a common occurrence with Hyundai? Apparently lots of Fords have been having the same issue (woman at Hyundai).

Or I am I being fed a whole lot of twaddle??!!

Edited by mitch29 on 16/02/2014 at 20:20

Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - daveyjp
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25321913
Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - skidpan

The facts are simple and the OP has been fed a total load of nonsense.

ALL diesel cars that are currently on sale and have been sold for many years are designed to run on BSEN590 diesel. Your Hyundai is one of these cars.

If any recent change to fuel spec was the cause (which there has not been) there would be many thousands of cars littering the roads of the UK that have broken down, that has not happened.

There was a reported issue late last year but like all these reports it gets blown out of all proportion by the press.

Looks like you simply got some bad fuel, it happens.

Could have heppened to any car.

Edited by skidpan on 17/02/2014 at 09:41

Hyundai i30 Diesel - Hyundai incompatible with BioDiesel Changes??? - Talking Hoarse

Hi Mitch29

Sorry to hear of the troubles that you are having. I have a similar i30 - but an auto and a year older. I have had no troubles with bio fuel (touch wood), Nor can I recall any mention of such troubles on any of the UK /Hyundai forums.

I do run a little injector cleaner in mine every 3 months or so, or alternatively use a tankful of VPower fuel (seems to sort occasional uneven running @ 1500rpm, a few minutes after start up).

I would suggest that you maintain the Hyundai service history for sake of warranty, which in simplistic terms means using a dealer so as to save any argument. I know they tell you can go anywhere though but is it worth risking the warranty? If in any doubt, ask Hyundai Customer services (I think a contact address is on back of service book). HUK Customer Services are sometimes helpful (& sometimes not so!).

My own i30 experience has been rather sorry - with lots of flaws and faulty components despite owning and caring for the car since day 1 for 40,000 approx miles. Hence I stress it is worthwhile maintaining the warranty. Its not a bad car - just not nearly as good /durable in my view as a Golf, Focus, or Astra etc.

Good luck

Edited by Talking Hoarse on 17/02/2014 at 11:28