Distance req'd to fully charge battery - UncleR
Had a flat battery last night which isn't unusual for a second hand car which has been sitting on a forecourt up until last weekend (and has sat unmoved during the last very cold week).

On the basis that it starts again after the short run I gave it after a jump, what distance do I need to travel for it to be fully charged. If it's relevant it is a BMW 318ti. I always thought it was about 30 miles?

Thanks in advance.
Distance req'd to fully charge battery - Peter D
Put it on charge at 1/10th of its amp hour rating for at least 14 hours. Or a normal charger ie. it starts off at 5 or 6 amps but soon falls to 2 or 3 amps for 24 hours Peter
Distance req'd to fully charge battery - UncleR
Sorry Peter, I was referring to the distance I'd have to travel for the alternator to do the job for me.
Distance req'd to fully charge battery - Claude
The alternator will never fully charge the battery. It might give you 85pct. Obviously the distance you need to drive is largely dependant on how discharged the battery is; its mechanical and electrical condition; whether you run any other electrical consumers during the drive (heater, lights) etc.
Have a look at www.accumate.co.uk for some background info about battery charging or, if you really want the max info then try www.uuhome.de/william.darden/
Distance req'd to fully charge battery - Andrew-T
.. and (if you can) check that the electrolyte isn't low in any of the cells.