Toyota Auris and Auris HSD - Brake disc wear and corrosion - ManuelC
My nearly 4 year old 35k miles Auris has worn out its rear pads and discs, the front discs are corroded and pitted.

What could cause this to happen? From what I understand it should be the opposite, ie common for the front to wear out first and the rears to rust and corrode. So why has my car done the opposite? Is it possible the brake ratio front to back is incorrect? Is this set by software or a mechanical system?

The car is used daily and does average annual mileage.
Toyota Auris and Auris HSD - Brake disc wear and corrosion - Peter.N.

Its more likely because that the rear brakes are sticking due to corrosion, they contribute very little braking effort compared to the front and so tend to rust. If its used for short journeys and then parked the discs will rust.

Toyota Auris and Auris HSD - Brake disc wear and corrosion - ManuelC
The rear discs are not corroded, the fronts are. It looks to me the rears are doing the majority of the breaking hence the quick wear. They are not binding either, the wheel rotates freely.
Toyota Auris and Auris HSD - Brake disc wear and corrosion - craig-pd130

35K out of the original rear discs and pads isn't bad: some cars seem to eat them, in others they seem to last forever.

For example, my 2003 Passat was sold at nearly 6 years and 60+K miles with loads of life left in the original discs and pads. However, our 2010 Corsa has just needed new front discs & pads (the rear brakes are drums) at 23K miles. I saw the removed parts and they really were worn.

I could make a sweeping comment about how gentle I am on the brakes compared with my wife (who usually drives the Corsa), but I won't :-D

The brake balance can't really be altered without changing master cylinders and calipers.

Toyota Auris and Auris HSD - Brake disc wear and corrosion - madf

Do you wash your car weekly and hose under the arches, or wash teh wheels?

And then leave the car parked.?

If yes, there is your answer.