.....what small car for £5K'ish - rizel23

I bet this has'nt been asked before!

Were combining our two old cars to one newer one. I drive (at weekends now due to company car) a 2001 MG ZT 190 LPG and the Mrs drives a Focus 2001 1.6 Zetec.

I love my MG, cheap to run but sits on drive all all week now and somone really needs to get better use out of it.

We are currently paying combined road tax of £455 a year, plus x2 lots of insurance to drive probably 50 miles a week now . The MG is too big for the Mrs and the Focus is a bit boring for me to drive.

So going to sell both cars and get one smaller one for around £5k'ish.

Have been looking (on net) at:

Suzhuki Swift Sport (newer and low miles for years)

Skoda Fabi VRS (no DPF)

2009 on Ford Fiesta Zetec S (would struggle to get a decent one for cash)

Want somthing that is bit of fun to drive at weekends and not overally expensive to run and maintain.

Anything else to consider for the money?

Thanks

.....what small car for £5K'ish - gordonbennet

One that we should have bought instead of the C2 VTS HDi.

Unfortunately we didn't even know it existed at the time.

Yaris 1.8SR.

.....what small car for £5K'ish - artill

As you enjoy the ZT, and your wife wouldnt want anything bigger than the Focus, how about getting an MG ZS 180. Same engine as your car, but a lot less weight, and better handling too. You could be really picky with your budget and get a late facelift car (but get a pre 23.3.06 model to avoid the silly tax) and have loads left over. You could spend some of it on an LPG conversion if you wanted.

We wont see a car that size again with a 6 pot motor. You should enjoy the drive, and your wife should be happy because they are not very big.

Thannks, but I don't fancy anything other from the Z range, the ZT was the only decent one in terms of build quality, not a spot of rust on mine and its 13 yers old now.

Looking for somthing bit more modern and econoical

.....what small car for £5K'ish - daveyK_UK

suzuki swift sport - great choice.

thanks, keep coming back to this time and time again

.....what small car for £5K'ish - Auristocrat
Mazda 2 -1.3 TS2 or Tamura, or 1.5 Sport.
.....what small car for £5K'ish - Ronneh

If you haggle a lot you may get a brand new Alto for that money