Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - allgoodthings

so if all goes to plan I will have a newer car soon. Only one insurance policy so the old one will have to be uninsured - I have off-road space for it. This also means I need to declare SORN on it to avoid trouble - this stuffs up a plan to keep it taxed and buy short-term insurance if anyone is interested.

The old S reg Ford Mondeo starts, stops and runs beautifully, but is scruffy on the outside (rust and a dented door from being reversed into), has only 2 weeks MoT, tyres are coming to the end, may need some more welding and has a list of non-essential things that no longer work on it.

seems a shame to scrap a runner, but I may have to. The TV advertised people will give nothing for it, I think it is worth about £100 as scrap. Various websites imply they will take it away, but I understand I can't be paid cash due to new laws.

Who do I trust? any recommendations for ways to find reputable salvage places? Worth a go on ebay given it can't be test driven?

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - Cyd

Try advertising it on Gumtree. It's completely free, so no risk. It's got to be worth a ton to someone who can fix it up sufficiently to get a mot and run it for a year.

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - gordonbennet

If its legallly parked off road, then nothing wrong with putting a spares/repairs ad on the bay, someone might give you £250 quid for it (test drive not appropriate at this stage/price), if it doesn't sell nothing lost apart from a listing fee, MOT won't make a scrap of difference to the scrapper.

edit, well done Cyd, forgot about the Gumtree.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/01/2014 at 20:23

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - elekie&a/c doctor

Good advice above.Just be sure that whoever you sell it to fills in all the relevent areas of the V5 reg document and signs the reqd areas.Also take some ID from the buyer ,otherwise you will get bombarded with parking and speeding fines.

Thanks for responses. The possible fines are part of the concern - will take the relevant bit of the V5 to post off and sounds like I ought to check the buyer is who he says he is.

will also keep copies, not forgotten hearing from the DVLA 20 years back about a speeding fine DESPITE doing all the right paperwork!

I believe scrappies can't pay cash now - so if it does come to that, how do I make sure I get paid?

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - RT
I believe scrappies can't pay cash now - so if it does come to that, how do I make sure I get paid?

Use a local scrappie that's been in the same location for years, that you see all the time.

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - oldroverboy.
I believe scrappies can't pay cash now - so if it does come to that, how do I make sure I get paid?.

Scrap yards require id in case od stolen metals. your log book is id sufficient, and what is wrong with a cheque? If it is a local scrappie, you'll know where he is.....

Whatever you do, post ALL the paperwork (get proof of postage-FREE) yourself if it isn't a srappie,

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - Bromptonaut

I had a similar conundrum with my X-reg Xantia. Ran/drove but needed £1500 spending to restore it to health.

Tried French Car Forum but no bites - feedback was that I may have listed its faults too comprehensively. There must be a similar site for Ford and maybe worth a punt.

We Buy Any Car offered next to nothing but web searching found plenty similar businesses. One of them put me in touch with a firm called Copart. Nearest site to me was Sandy but they have several others. Youcan contact them direct www.copart.co.uk/c2/howToSell.html

Car was collected promptly by a transporter. Driver did paperwork and money was immediately trnsferred to my bank account. I got £150, not worth hassle of putting it on the bay for possibility of a few quid more.

Only issue was that transporter was too big to get down my road. I had to drive the car (uninsured) 100 yards round the corner and onto the community centre car park where there was space to manouvre/load.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 20/01/2014 at 08:58

the end of the story if anyone is still there:

copart never got back to me despite chasing, same for several others.

scrapcarnetwork were keen but have also gone quiet, no local partner.

webuyanycar; it is valueless to them due to dents, scrapes and trivial non-working things (central locking, back wiper, stuff like that...)

gumtree produced two fraudsters, nothing else.

local authorised disposal facility collecting tomorrow, will give me £70 although discussion in progress as to whether that is total or per ton, hopefully the latter. Anyway, will be proper cheque and disposal.

lesson - don't live more than 20 miles from a big city! :-)

thanks everyone. Let's hope newer Mondeo behaves, so far so good!

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - jc2

Look in your local paper,plenty of offers in mine-It was collected ten minutes after phonecall-paid cash-legal as bought as second-hand car-cheque if bought as scrap.

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - Ronneh

I sold my last car on Gumtree with very little effort and the one before that on my local "for sale" page on facebook.

There will always be someone there after your car trust me!

Ford Mondeo - disposing a scruffy, uninsured car that runs - daveyK_UK

ebay motors.

put up an honest description, reply to the questions, and expect to be suprised by how much your car makes.