Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - Chockster

Hi

My wife has just come back and told me that her friend crashed our car whilst my wife was giving her a driving lesson.

My wife's friend has a provisionl licence but is uninsured, whereas my wife has fully comp insurance.

The added complication is that the friend reversed into a building and slightly damaged 2 hard plastic panels. Our car is more severely damaged, several panels severly dented, back drivers side lights smashed, possible exhaust damage. There are cameras on the outside of the building, don;t know if they work or if they captured the accident.

I was wondering what the best advice would be? Should my wife go to the company in the morning and inform them about the accident. What would happen if my wife didn;t report this part of the incident to the insurance company? What kind of costs could we be looking at if the company put a claim in?

I'm kinda of still in shock, and never experienced this situation before.

any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Chock

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - RT

Insurance doesn't come into it - your wife's friend will need to meet all the costs herself of damage to the car and building

Hi

Thanks. My wife's friend has no money (in fact I think she has been declared bankrupt a couple of years ago). So don;t think we could get money out of her.

Chockster

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - FP

I'm just wondering if the wife as supervisor is going to be in the firing line. Some questions for you to think about:

Did the accident happen on public roads? Did your wife allow the friend to drive knowing she was uninsured in her own right? Did she in fact check the insurance position for herself? Do we assume your and your wife's insurance does not cover the friend? Does your insurance company even know a provisional licence holder was driving your car? Is your wife over 21 and has she held a full licence for at least three years?

And finally, as I understand it, the person accompanying a provisional licence holder is legally deemed to be in control of the car. For example, "The AA is aware of at least one who was jailed after the learner he was supervising was involved in a crash killing two people." (from tinyurl.com/n9vpc6a) An extreme case, maybe.

Sorry to worry you, but this could be a can of worms.

Edited by FP on 13/01/2014 at 23:14

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - bathtub tom

YOYOY, Sorry. Why oh why oh why would anyone let an uninsured (and bankrupt) person drive your car?

A bit like asking: If I'd survived a nuclear bomb, what should I do. DEAL WITH IT!

So we might be better off not informing insurance company and paying for damage ourselves?

My wife assumed that provisional licence holder didn't require insurance. It was in a private car park. My wife has held her licence for about 20 yrs. She didn't check with insurance company. Our insurance doesn't cover her friend.

Thx, it's better to know now what implications might be before we go down a certain route of action.

I think of my wife as being naive about a lot of things and I believe she just wanted to help her friend.

Chockster

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - skidpan

My wife assumed that provisional licence holder didn't require insurance.

That is the best laugh I have had this year. Why on earth would a driver with a provisional licence not require insurance.

like i said, my wife is naive.

I don't drive, so don;t really know much about these circumstances.

basically,

we could just pay for damages ourselves (not informing Ins. Co. and hope company who had building slighty damaged not notice and not report it)

we could go up to company and tell them what happened to see if they intend to report it. (if report it, then go through insurance so that our insurance pays them as 3rd party, we pay for our costs and the part i'm really worried about (from reading other stories on the web) we have to pay a fine and my wife gets 6-8 points on her licence.

I was hoping to get advice about the best option to take. if the insurance co. gets involved, what action are they likely to take?

thanks

Chock

I was hoping to get advice about the best option to take. if the insurance co. gets involved, what action are they likely to take?

The insurance company will not pay for the damage to your car, the driver was not insured, end of story.

If the damage to the building is costly they may pay for the repair since by law they have to pay for 3rd party damage, that would impact on your NCB and future premiums. What is your excess, it may be not worth claiming even if the damage is costly.

With regards to the accident taking place in a "Private" car park the definition of the word "Private" is what matters here. If the public are allowed into the car park it is a legal requirement to have insurance since it is deemed to be a public place and all the provisions of the Road Traffic Act apply. To Quote form the .gov website

"Most of the provisions apply on all roads throughout Great Britain, although there are some exceptions. The definition of a road in England and Wales is ‘any highway and any other road to which the public has access and includes bridges over which a road passes’ (RTA 1988 sect 192(1)). In Scotland, there is a similar definition which is extended to include any way over which the public have a right of passage (R(S)A 1984 sect 151(1)).

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks."

That would open a whole new can of worms and make your wife liable since as she was supervising her friend she is legally in charge of the vehicle. The police may become involved at this point and charges may be made against her.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to come clean, pay for the repairs to the building, your own car and not involve the insurance at all hoping that the owners of the building have not reported the incidnet to the authorities at this time.

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - kerbed enthusiasm

A lesson hard learned. The upside is that nobody was hurt and it 'merely' becomes a matter of money. I think you need to contact the property owners before they watch the CCTV and contact you via the authorities even if the moral aspects are disregarded. I suspect that explaining how the damage to your car was sustained to your insurers will cost a great deal more, and create many more problems, than paying it out of your own pocket. Your friend, however financially embarrassed, may still elect to pay for some of the damage caused. Good luck.

Chock - I can empathise with a "naive" wife - mine is too on car and computer matters - she (and I) take the view of why be an expert when you've got a free one nearby. She's a wonderful person who knows that I'm just as naive in other aspects that she's an expert on - it's a good partnership.

Helping a friend without even stopping to think is just like my wife would have done.

You have my sympathies - but that won't help clear this mess up.

thanks. she's really depressed at the moment, but I think we will go up to company to explain what happened, see what their view is. We probably can;t afford to pay for the car to be repaired, so may have to be off road until we can save the money for repairs.

It's just all the worry about what happens if it goes down an official route.

thanks for all the advice.

Chock

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - Peter D

Officially you should report this to the police ASAP but within 24 hrs. If the company have footage and a VRN and they report it your wife could be charged with failing to stop and failing to report the accident.

The problem is they are going to ask you who was driving and if it comes to light they were not insured then 6 points and a large fine for at least one of you if not both as your wife permitted her to drive knowing she was not insured.

Regards Peter

Hi

further info, my wife and her friend went up to the company and they were in the process of reviewing their CCTV as it turned out the damage was more significant than appeared. The company said they probably will have to have their entire front panels replaced. They wanted to take my wife's insurance details and she said she would phone them back with the info. They did say that they would get a quote and we could pay for it without going through our insurance co., but they did say we should log it with our ins co. (so i don't think they know an uninsured driver is involved)

My father in law says we should phone the police and inform them of everything and then inform the insurance company. he thinks my wife will get 6-8 points on her licence, a large fine and we will have to pay the costs of repairing our car, he wasn;t sure if the insurance company would pay for the costs of repairing the building or if our insurance would becoem nullified due to the uninsured driver and we would also have to cover the costs of that as well.

If these costs do end up being substantial (7k+) I don't think we could afford to pay that.

Do you think our insurance company might not pay as 3rd party to the damge to the building?

thanks

Chock

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - alan1302

Do you think our insurance company might not pay as 3rd party to the damge to the building?

As staated above your insurance company will pay out nothing at all as the car was not insiured to be driven by the provisonal driver.

Has it turned out the damage was more significant than appeared. The company said they probably will have to have their entire front panels replaced.

Be very careful. The company might be hoping that your insurers will pay for an entire new front. That is fine if, even though the driver was uninsured they will cover the 3rd party damage but if they don't you could be left with a huge bill and no money to pay it.

I know I said above don't involve your insurer but if the company are looking at going down this route you probably need to report the accident to them. If the repairs are cheap you will loose nothing but if you need to involve them they behve the case on record.

It appears to me that this is going to get very complicated and very expensive. I would advise you obtain copies of any quotation for the work to the building.

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK an insurance company cannot refuse to pay out on a 3rd party claim, regardless of the circumstances re driving licences, etc However, you still have problems re the repairs to your own car and any possible police involvement in the legal situation

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - dacouch

Skidpan's post covers the situation pretty well but has one minor error.

In the long run the claim is unlikely to affect your no claims bonus as your Insurers will be looking to recover their outlay to any third parties eg the building from their policyholder.

If they recover the money the no claims bonus will not be affected, if they don't recover all the money from you then it will affect your no claims bonus.

Skidpan's post covers the situation pretty well but has one minor error.

In the long run the claim is unlikely to affect your no claims bonus as your Insurers will be looking to recover their outlay to any third parties eg the building from their policyholder.

If they recover the money the no claims bonus will not be affected, if they don't recover all the money from you then it will affect your no claims bonus.

How will the insurers recover their costs from the building. It was not the buildings fault. It was the driver of the Honda Jazz that was to blame by hitting it, they do not deny it. The building did not hit the Honda Jazz did it.

my wife has been convinced by the friend who actually crashed the car to tell insurance company that my wife was driving and her foot slipped.

I can't seem to get her to change her mind, so will the insurance company ask for the CCTV from the company or would they just accept the pictures from the company of the damage of the accident?

my wife has been convinced by the friend who actually crashed the car to tell insurance company that my wife was driving and her foot slipped.

Didn't an MP and his ex wife go to jail for lieing about who was driving.

Saying she was driving would be insurance fraud if she was caught.

Not much of a friend your wife has.

I can't seem to get her to change her mind, so will the insurance company ask for the CCTV from the company or would they just accept the pictures from the company of the damage of the accident?

Careful there - that's fraud and perverting the course of justice - with potential of a jail sentence, like Chris Huhne and Vicky Pryce.

The OP's Insurer will be looking to recover any monies they pay out to any third parties from the OP.

The Policy will almost certainly include a right of recovery against the policyholder for any monies the Insurer have to pay out that they would not have had to pay out had the Road Traffic Act not made them.

from my point of view, i think

we should see what company have for the quotes to repair damage. (they have our insurance details now)

if the cost is low to medium, we can pay for building and pay to get our car fixed (costs spilt between us and my wife's friend)

if the cost is high, we contact insurance company - I'm hoping they will pay the damage to the building and we have to pay the cost of our car and increased insurance costs for the future (at present we pay £25 a month).

Im hoping the police don't have to be involved as that will mean they will know who was driving and my wife will get a fine and 8 penalty points on licence. (Not sure if Insurance company has to inform police that uninsured driver was involved)

thanks

Chock

If your Insurers are involved once they have paid out they will then pursue you for the money they have paid out.

They're also likely to cancel your policy or not invite renewal, which may (Depending on the question asked by future Insurers) need to be declared (Currently forever) for motor and any other insurances eg home insurance which can make it difficult to arrange cover (Expensive)

so I'm better to arrange insurances under my name in future. the car is in my wife's name.

so it really comes down to how much the bill is going to be from the building owners (might be better getting a loan and paying them through that route) rather than let our insurance co deal with it.

thanks

Chock

so I'm better to arrange insurances under my name in future. the car is in my wife's name.

If you are not the registered keeper you need to tell the insurance company, it may cost more. You also said earlier you don't drive, that will also make getting insurance difficult.

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - Brit_in_Germany

Road Traffic Act, section 151, subsection 8 is relevant here:

Where an insurer becomes liable under this section to pay an amount in respect of a liability of a person who is not insured by a policy or whose liability is not covered by a security, he is entitled to recover the amount from that person or from any person who—

(a)is insured by the policy, or whose liability is covered by the security, by the terms of which the liability would be covered if the policy insured all persons or, as the case may be, the security covered the liability of all persons, and

(b)caused or permitted the use of the vehicle which gave rise to the liability.

further info

we contacted our insurance co. who said that they would not pay any claims due to the driver was not on the named policy for the vehicle and that the driver was uninsured so that we would have to settle out of insurance.

We phoned the company again to get an idea as to the estimate of the costs. They were speaking to their insurance co. who advised them to go down the insurance road as the damages were unlikely to be in the hundreds of punds range, more than likely thousands. We advised them that our insurance co. wasn;t going to pay any claims, and that we would have to cover the costs.

They will phone back with details of the damages and give us a copy of the quote when it comes in, we can get a comparison quote.

My work offers legal advice and the legal team advised that they think the co. would get their insurance co. to pay damages and that their insurance co. would seek to recover costs from my wife and her friend. It could go to court if the costs do run into thousands of pounds, but the insurance co. may not pursue if they feel they aren;t likely to get the costs back, but the legal team said that was uncertain, the fact that both my wife and her friend (who is declared bankrupt) don;t have much in the way of assets, may make it not worthwhile chasing us for costs.

Basically, we have to wait to see what the costs are likely to be.

Chock

we contacted our insurance co.

We phoned the company again to get an idea as to the estimate of the costs.

You have done all you can do for the time being. Hopefully the police will not become involved.

It may be worthwhile making an appointment to see a solicitor who is well versed in these matters, normally you gan get the first 1/2 hour FOC. They would be able to advise you on the correct course of action should the insurers seek to recover their costs from your wife and her friend.

The person you spoke to at your Insurers is mistaken, they do not have any option but to pay any valid claims as they are duty bound by the Road Traffic Act.

The Buildings Insurers will almost certainly be aware of your Insurers obligations and pursue them for payment. As Brit in Germany has highlighted the RTA means your Insurers can then look to you or the driver to reimberse them. They are most likely to go after you for payment which may involve.

Your Insurers will normally pursue you for payment as they do not like paying claims out under this part of the RTA.

Seeking legal advice would be a good idea.

the police turned up at our door today, I had to give a statement. the company contacted them to let them know that an uninsured driver hit their building as requested to do so by their insurance company. the police viewed the CCTV footage and confirmed that my statement did corroborate the footage on the CCTV.

I was starting to get worried about all the costs adding up and the police officers said don;t worry, yes my wife will probably get 6 points on her licence and a fine, but in his experience, it will be a small fine of a few hundred pound rather than thousands. He also said they inspected the damage at the building and don't think it was that substantial. They think the company will get their money from their insurance company and the insurance comapny 9 times out of ten would then write it off , it may cost us a few hundred pounds as a one off payment, but not thousands of pounds.

the only thing we really should worry about is paying for our car, they even had a quick look and let me know that it's stll legal to drive, if the lights still work and we can cover up any sharp bits.

Don't hold your breath about the other Insurers not pursuing the money, the staff in charge of these types of claims know that if there is an insurance policy in place and the driver has been identified then they have a slam dunk chance of recovering their outlay from the vehicle's Insurers.

It's a no brainer for the buildings Insurers as they have the law behind them

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - Cris_on_the_gas

I was starting to get worried about all the costs adding up and the police officers said don;t worry, yes my wife will probably get 6 points on her licence and a fine, but in his experience, it will be a small fine of a few hundred pound rather than thousands.

Getting insurance with a conviction for no insurance might prove costly as most Insurance Companies take a dim view of this. After all you in their eyes you have tried to avoid paying them a premium.

I was starting to get worried about all the costs adding up and the police officers said don;t worry, yes my wife will probably get 6 points on her licence and a fine, but in his experience, it will be a small fine of a few hundred pound rather than thousands.

Getting insurance with a conviction for no insurance might prove costly as most Insurance Companies take a dim view of this. After all you in their eyes you have tried to avoid paying them a premium.

If you take into account that the OP's car Insurers will not be happy about having to pay out under the RTA in these circumstances and that there's a very high chance that if they do pay out under the RTA that they will subsequently decline to offer renewal. This will make buying any type of Insurance (Including Home Insurance) for whoever is the policyholder very diffilcult to obtain currently forever (Read expensive)

If the OP were my customer, I would be recommending they cancel their car insurance at least two months before the renewal date to prevent the car insurers going through the renewal process and declining to offer renewal thus avoiding having a declined insurance on their record, If you go down this route the car Insurers will still be liable for the accident under the RTA, will still have the right of recovery from the OP and there would be no refund of any balance of the car premium due to the accident

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - tommy t1968

If you take into account that the OP's car Insurers will not be happy about having to pay out under the RTA in these circumstances and that there's a very high chance that if they do pay out under the RTA that they will subsequently decline to offer renewal. This will make buying any type of Insurance (Including Home Insurance) for whoever is the policyholder very diffilcult to obtain currently forever (Read expensive)

If the OP were my customer, I would be recommending they cancel their car insurance at least two months before the renewal date to prevent the car insurers going through the renewal process and declining to offer renewal thus avoiding having a declined insurance on their record, If you go down this route the car Insurers will still be liable for the accident under the RTA, will still have the right of recovery from the OP and there would be no refund of any balance of the car premium due to the accident

this good advice on the refusal to renew because that would make other insurers refuse to insure you aswell but be warned cancelation fees can be as much as your policy was

The cancellation feess are why I would recommend leaving it as late as possible, Insurers tend to put a stop code on these types of incidents. This stops the renewal going through the automatic renewal process and brings it to the attention of an underwritter who would generally send a letter to the effect we cannot offer renewal. This process tends to start about two months before the renewal date and ideally you want to cancel before they get the chance to look at it so they do not decline renewal.

Personally I feel the cancellation charges are well worth swallowing to avoid having a declined Insurance on your record which you (Currently) have to declare forever and can effect all your insurance policies eg your home insurance as well.

It's worth noting that there may well not be any refund of premium with the possibility of a cancellation fee on top due to most Insurers not offering refunds in the event the policy is subject to a claim. Although this could be argued at a later date once the Insurers have recovered all of their outlay from their policyholder eg the OP's wife

Honda Jazz - Accident whilst teaching uninsured friend to drive - jc2

Nothing to do with this case but I just cancelled my insurance with two months outstanding-no charge.I thought that was the end of it but the next week I received a refund cheque for the two months. NFU!! not a cheapo.