SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - DamianRobey
Hi. Advice please !!
My Alhambra (2005 model) has a problem with First & Reverse gears mainly when cold. When hot it's not bad normally slipping in first time every time.
However when cold it can take a few attempts.
It's had new gear selector parts, new clutch & flywheel & the slave has good pressure
I bought the car after the new clutch so I am not aware of history.
I spoke to Seat & they said yeah it's your gearbox oil.
I can see sense in that so have bought some.
Can I have some help to identify the drain & fill points.
Regards. Damian
SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - Big John

Would be a VERY good thing to change the oil. There isn't always a drain point though or you need a special tool as they are "designed" to be sealed for life. Be careful to find the correct fill point as some large allen key points may be securing mechanical gearbox parts. It is possible for gloupy horrible oil cause gear selection problems especially when cold/thick. Please change the oil anyway!

May not cure the problem though. Usually problems engaging first and reverse gears point to clutch drag of some sort.

A few thoughts:-

1) The new clutch may have been mis-fitted. May be worth bleeding the hydraulics ,( Is the biting point very low - near the floor?)

2) Is there an oil leak at the clutch end of the engine? Oil on the clutch plate can cause drag especially when first started.

3) You mention the list of the parts replaced in the past - have these been replaced in an attempt to fix this "long standing" fault?

SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - Big John

Oh and double check that all of the bolts re clutch / gearbox are still tightened up - especally the engine/gearbox mounts - can affect gear selectors.

SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - DamianRobey
Hi. Thanks for your prompt reply!!
I understand & will check everything is tight.
I also understand that a hex head could be something else.
This is why I'm looking for some advice on location of the fill plug.
In answer to you yes & no. I replaced the gear linkage selectors as when I bought the car 4 months ago the 2 gears stuck a little but after spraying wd40 on the selector it appeared to be better.
Engaging gears easier.
Clutch had a re bleed.
Clutch point is ok & has never dropped.
In fact sometimes when hot or cold it's great & sometimes it'll be a sod.
Which is why I agreed with the oil being a problem.
I will take the under tray off & shine a torch around but if I could beg you for some more info on where to drain & refill I would appreciate it.
The internet has very little info on gearboxes.
Thanks for your help so far.
I'll get my tools ready & recheck all bolts & service the car properly.
Kind regards John. Damian
SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - quizman

You need the correct oil, I got some from a VW dealer when I changed the oil in my Passat.

I had to borrow a special tool to undo the plugs, actually my local garage did it but they borrowed the tool from a VW indie.

The gear change was better after the oil change!

Hi. Thank you I'll get her booked in the garage then !!
Kind regards. Damian
SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - cws

Draper sell the 'special' tool to undo the bottom plug.

Hi. Just to let you know I got the oil today. It's booked in on Thursday to check all bolts & change oil.
Will let you know how it goes.
Regards. Damian
SEAT Alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed Manual - Manual Gearbox oil replacement - quizman

What oil did you get?

Hi. It's in the boot but I'm sure it's 75/90 synthetic.
£31.50 for 3 litres from gsf. I try to use good parts shops.
Regards. Damian
Good morning. Yes it is
75/90 fully synthetic
Regards.
Hi. Just thought I'd give you an update !
Got the car in today as some one failed to turn up.
Changed the oil with an m16 torx style head and it's like a new box.
All gears are now smooth.
Thanks again for taking the time to help
Damian

Great news!

This is a lesson to all to ignore the manufacturers claims re "sealed for life"