Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - allgoodthings

The old faithful s-reg Mondeo petrol estate is still running like a swiss watch, but the rust and tyre situation probably means that funds to nurse it through the Mot would be better spent elsewhere.

we are usually short runs (10 miles return) with occasional big trips, but like the comfort of a car Mondeo/Vectra sized - hatchback slightly preferable for the supermarket car park. :-) . Never owned a diesel before because they were always much pricier to buy. BUT....

in the age range we are looking at (about 2005 reg) the diesel cars are the same price or cheaper to buy, which means that with lower fuel consumption a diesel may be a good idea. We know that for low mileage we don't want a car with a DPF, but everything seems to be turbo diesel.Does that matter? Anything particular to look out for?

thanks!

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - Collos25

At that age and out of warranty buy a petrol.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - Gibbo_Wirral

From experience I agree, go for petrol.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - oldroverboy.

From experience I agree, go for petrol.

Ditto Ditto Ditto,

PETROL! (not shouting, emphasising..)

unanimous so far ! May I ask why?

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - oldtoffee

>>>unanimous so far ! May I ask why?

Good chance you'll end up sooner or later with a big bill for one or more faulty injectors, dual mass flywheel or turbo that will far far outweigh the measly savings you made on fuelling it.

Edited by oldtoffee on 10/01/2014 at 16:09

sounds like reasons...I believe that the petrol engines also have dual mass flywheels but the other issues were indeed worrying me.

all other contributions welcome but it does seem fairly conclusive! Thanks.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - corax

Dual mass flywheels on petrol engines will usually last the life of the car.

At the age you're looking at it is pot luck whether you buy a high mileage diesel that will run for a good few years without an expensive repair that will wipe out your fuel savings.

Most repairs on petrol engines IF they go wrong will usually be cheaper unless something major happens like a cambelt failure or a rod through the block as a result of oil starvation.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - elekie&a/c doctor

2.0 litre petrol Mondeo,manual gearbox.Timing chain engine,rarely give any major issues.Stay away from the vectra,loads of niggly little elertrical problems and an unpleasant interior.How about a Focus estate?

going to look at just such a Mondeo tomorrow, so will report.

searched for focus estate but nothing comes up anywhere near.

saw it, discussed it and bought it! Going to take a bit of getting used to all the Ghia gadgets... talking of which - it has the 6CD changer Sony radio, generation 1 I think. Had to charge the battery today (suspect too much playing with locks and lights while fixing something) so it now wants the code. Have the code - but how do you enter it? Don't have the manual and the only links online all lead to the same non-working site.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo/Vectra 2005 - petrol or diesel? - elekie&a/c doctor
Use the presets to enter the code.For example,if the code is 1234,press button 1 until the display shows1,then button 2,until the display shows 2 and so on.Once the correct code is entered,then press button 5.hth

brilliant - it worked! Many thanks.