4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - oldtoffee

What with all the foul weather this winter, floods etc I'm wondering if a 2wd suv with a decent ground clearance or wading depth is going to be more useful and cheaper to own than a 4wd that is good on the week or three (down south) of snow and ice. Having recently returned from a New Years break near Looe in Cornwall I spent a fair amount of time turning round in my Mondeo estate and avoiding flooded roads that I could have comfortably driven through in a taller SUV with decent ground clearance. I suppose the next couple of months will help me decide.

4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - Happy Blue!

As has been said here many times before, 4wd with normal tyres is not as good as 2wd with winter tyres.

4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - bathtub tom

Depth doesn't matter, where's the air intake?

Renault (IIRC) had a very low one, just behind the bumper that caught out many.

4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - focussed

It is not solely where the engine air intake is situated - take account of where the alternator is fitted, many makes have this item fitted low down on the front of the engine in a transverse installation. Go wading, flooded alternator- goodbye alternator.

4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - madf

Wading in any car or vehicle can also:

ruin wheel bearings with poor sealing - see various Fords c2000.

destroy catalysts due to sudden temperature changes cracking the ceramic internals.

and block water and oil radiators with mud or gunge.

Most 4x4s are not designed for serious wading... or serious offroad . If they do not have a low ratio or lockable diffs, you may get stuck in mud in the the deeper water.. And of course you need offroad tyres.

Serious waders have water proofed air intakes (usually roof mounted), ignition systems and high mounted exhausts systems - as back pressure can stop idling engines if deep water.

4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - RT

All vehicles will have their minimum ground clearance specified in brochures and owners manuals.

SUVs intended to go off-road, whether in limited circumstances like "soft-roaders" or fully off-road will have a maximum wading depth specified in their documentation.

Don't exceed the maximum wading depth, which includes waves and bow-wash - if no wading depth is specified don't exceed the minimum ground clearance - about 150mm (6") for most cars.

4wd? - 4wd or wading depth - xtrailman

Stick to the mondeo.

I dont put my 4x4 through deep water its not worth it, you might get a little more ground clearance but not much more, in fact the extra ground clearance is more usefull in snow.