2003 Chrysler Voyager - Reco Engine in Voyager Misfires - ECU issue? - DavidMcP

I have put a second-hand replacement engine into my 2003 Chrysler Voyager. The engine seems to be a good match but when I try to start it it misfires badly. It seems to be a timing issue. Suspecting it might be an incompatibility issue between the new engine and my old ECU, I contacted the engine supplier and he sent me the ECU from the car that the replacement engine came from. The ECU that he sent me was very different from the one in my car. Looking up the part number I have determined that the replacement ECU (and therefore the replacement engine) is from a Dodge Caravan, not a Voyager.

So my questions are:-

1. Can I put the Dodge ECU into my Voyager just by changing the ECU connector cabling? The plugs are very different - Caravan has 4 small cable connections, Voyager has 2 large ones.

2. Can I put the cam wheel from my original Voyager engine into the Caravan engine? Will this satisfy the Voyager ECU?

3. Having changed the engine and not the ECU do I need to do anything with ECU keys? Currently the car does start but just misfires badly. If I put the Caravan ECU in to match the Caravan engine will I need to do anything with ECU keys to enable the correct functioning of other electrical systems?

Thanks for your help.

2003 Chrysler Voyager - Reco Engine in Voyager Misfires - ECU issue? - DavidMcP

After further research I have found that my new misfiring engine is from a 2004 model. Chrysler introduced the “next generation controller” (NGC) in ’04, so there are three more notches in the cam sensor and all of the notches are in different locations. I have received advice that to get the 2004 engine to work I will need to swap the cam gear, timing chain and flex plate from my 2003 engine into the 2004 engine and retain the 2003 ECU.