Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - Roger41

Nine months ago I purchased Honda CRV petrol from my local dealer. It came fitted with 3 Dunlop tyres and 1 Falken. I need to replace 2 and have selected to fit Michelin Tour HP because they get good reviews. My chosen tyre dealer has refused to fit them, saying that 4 x 4 vehicles should only be fitted with all 4 tyres of the same make to prevent damage to the transmission. Is this correct and if so do I have any redress on the Honda dealership for selling a car with mixed make tyres.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - RT

Nine months ago I purchased Honda CRV petrol from my local dealer. It came fitted with 3 Dunlop tyres and 1 Falken. I need to replace 2 and have selected to fit Michelin Tour HP because they get good reviews. My chosen tyre dealer has refused to fit them, saying that 4 x 4 vehicles should only be fitted with all 4 tyres of the same make to prevent damage to the transmission. Is this correct and if so do I have any redress on the Honda dealership for selling a car with mixed make tyres.

BS as far as I'm concerned. Check the Owner's Manual for Honda's take on it.

The Americans are paranoid about keeping the diameter/circumference of all 4 tyres within a gnat's whisker of each other but it's not a big issue on SUV or 4x4 here.

It's less important on soft-roaders than full 4x4s because soft-roaders use a clutch drive to the rear axle and there's always some slip in every friction clutch - and most soft-roaders are front-wheel drive most of the time with power/torque being transmitted to the rear only when wheel slip occurs.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - boggles

This was a problem on the first Freelander, due to the transmission, tyres needed to be matching for size. The Freelander2, has a different set up, and can be run with tyres that are not equally worn. I don't know about the Honda, it could be right that it needs four tyres the same, or your dealer is confusing it with the Freelander1 problem. Got to be worth a call to local Honda agent?

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - xtrailman

I've had two xtrails and always ensured the tyres are resonably equal and of the same make, common sense really.

My present cx5 will only ever see the same make, and again i'll try to keep the tyres worn evenly.

By the way i found the all season dunlop sp20 excellent tyres, over 9 years of use.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - Collos25

The Americans are paranoid about keeping the diameter/circumference of all 4 tyres within a gnat's whisker of each other but it's not a big issue on SUV or 4x4 here.

I am not sure about that every newish 4x4 I have come across the manufacturers recommend tyres of the same make and fit for purpose and correctly so.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - gordonbennet

The tyres should be as close to the same wear rate as possible, so ideally you should rotate tyres to wear them out about the same time on this sort of car...i rotate anyway on all my cars as i prefer to buy 4 at a time.

Maybe the tyre chappy has found that tyres of different makes can be of different sizes, i know 2 makes of tyre that will foul the wheel arches of my MB where others of identical size won't.

Similarly some 4x4 tyres come with up to 12mm of tread depth when new instead of the standard 8mm, so stands to reason there may be some size variations between the makes.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - RichardRohn

I agree about your dealer cause i already experience it.In Finland i also want to change my tyres however my dealer refuse on it also and he said also what he said to you but i did not mind it and a few days my transmission or voimansiirto has a damage and it cost me a lot.Really bad.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - Falkirk Bairn

CRV is a FWD car that becomes 4 WD when the electronics tell it or in the case of the older T30 X-trail when you select 4wd.

99%+ it is a 2wd so I would be quite happy for the tyres on front/back to be replaced as pairs.

That said I will get the fronts/back tyres switched today as the brakes are being looked at.

Honda CR-V - 4 x 4 Tyres - xtrailman

The new CRV always sets off in 4wd. While the earlier one would go to 4wd on demand, same as my CX-5.

While the T30 and T31 i had were always in auto 4wd, so the rears came in as required, even when fwd is selected its still possible that 4wd will cut in, thats in the manual. The xtrail 4wd system is more sophisticated that most soft roaders.