Peugot 206 - Lights turn themselves on at random (not Auto!) - Steve_S

Dad's 2005 Peugot 206 1.4 has developed an annoying and potentially dangerous fault where although the switch is off, the headlights turn themselves on and off at random. This first occurred 2 or 3 years ago and he took it to a local independent garage. They thought it might be the automatic lights and said they had disabled them. Well, as far as I can see the car does not have automatic lights, and never has, and the fault remained! It cleared itself some weeks later.

The fault has now recurred. Fiddling with the stalk and the wiring and thumping the general area has no effect, which made me think originally that it was not a simple switch fault. When the driver's door is opened, even with the lights off, there is a two-tone warning sound which I think is the lights-on warning, and the battery runs down over a period of days, suggesting something is ON, though nothing seems to be. When the ignition key is turned after the car has been idle, the dash display shows "ECO-MOD" which is the annoying mode it goes into to save battery power if you try to use the radio for more than 20 minutes without running the engine!

Now, in addition, the indicator flashers are not functioning, whick makes me think that possibly the fault IS in the switch after all. Does this seem a reasonable deduction?

I don't have a manual, but is replacement a straightforward job (or a steering-wheel/airbag-off nightmare)?

Peugot 206 - Lights turn themselves on at random (not Auto!) - Gibbo_Wirral

Have you had the battery off at anytime recently?

Electrical gremlins occur when the battery is low / old or the BSI reset procedure hasn't been carried out.

If its none of the above it could be a COMM2000 (stalk control unit) fault. I had a similar problem on my 307, removing the steering column cowl and clearing out the dust with electrical contact cleaner sorted it.

If that doesn't work then it might need the unit looking at. There's a chap on Peugeotforums and on Ebay based in Bradford who repairs them for around £20, he has a great success rate and its cheaper than a secondhand unit or a new one.

Thanks for the suggestions. The battery hadn't been disconnected until last weekend when I disconnected it overnight to see if anything reset (it didn't).

I hadn't heard of the BSI or BSI reset - I've found a description online. Oddly enough I was just thinking this afternoon that there might be a module somewhere full of relays etc with connections from the switches going in, and volts to the lights coming out. At first glance it looks as though that could be the BSI! I'll try the reset next weekend when I'm at Dad's. Where is the unit located?

I remember seeing someone offering a reconditioning service when I was looking through the stalks on eBay, so I'll see if I can find him again.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention in my original post that although the indicators don't work, the hazard flashers do.
Peugot 206 - Lights turn themselves on at random (not Auto!) - bathtub tom

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=peugeot_bsi...e

This is the repair man:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMM-2000-PEUGEOT-307-206-406-C...9

He's known as "trustme" on Peugeotforums.com. As a moderator and senior member on there (and a customer of his service) I can vouch for him.

Apologies - I meant to report back sooner.

I spent quite a lot of time last weekend repeatedly attempting to reboot the BSI, and getting different results most times. The glitches are too numerous to list. Frequently it would reboot with the alarm red-light flashing. It never seemed to behave as expected and I am not convinced the BSI ever entirely "goes to sleep". On one occasion, while waiting "3-minutes" to disconnect the battery, four or five times there was a click and 'ECO-MOD' would appear on the display. I ended up waiting about 10 minutes for activity to cease. What would happen if I shut down, disconnected the battery, disconnected the BSI, and then re-connected?

I left the car with the indicators working and side-lights working, but not headlights.

If I get time I'll have another look in a couple of days. I haven't contacted either repair-man yet. It's difficult to decide whether the problem is the BSI or the stalk unit (COMM 2000?).

What's the age and condition of the battery? Are the earth points good and clean?

And is there any evidence of damp around the BSI?

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 20/12/2013 at 12:34

I think the battery is only about four years old, but the car is mainly used for short journeys. It has been running low after being left for a week or so, but I had assumed that this was a result of the electrical faults rather than the cause of them! I gave it a good charge before I started messing with the car last weekend. Could a poor battery cause a problem, even freshly charged?

I hadn't found the BSI module last weekend, but I've learned since that it is somewhere near, or under, the fuses. Will have a look, though the car is garaged, and I'm not aware of any water leakage.

Definetly. Batteries only have a limited lifespan.

Peugot 206 - Lights turn themselves on at random (not Auto!) - weavy

hi bud did you ever resole this issue as i have simular, apart from my dash back lights go on and off with a ding sound while ignition on, oh and mine wont start

Follow my advice and web links - they're still valid.