Claim on insurance or self repair - DigDug

Hi,

I reported an accident to my insurance company. The accident involved another vehicle, but the driver left the scene, and the police have not yet traced them.

The insurance company suggested that I might want to pay for the repairs myself rather than claim, because they don't have anybody to chase for the money.

Given that I have reported the accident, I assume that my insurance premium will go up. But will it go up even more if I actually claim for the repairs?

Or should I simply claim on the insurance if the cost is going to be greater than my excess?

Claim on insurance or self repair - gordonbennet

If you claim your premium will definately go up and you will lose some or all NCD, unless you have a protected policy in which case you will use up a 'life' but will stillse increased premium...if you fix this yourself any increase in premium will be small IMO.

All depends on how bad the damage is, is it driveable for a few weeks whilst you find all the used parts you need to fix it, if so then a cheap repair is on the cards.

First thing i would do is get a couple of estimates, and this is the time to find that little one man and his dog bodyshop who will be happy to fit a used wing/bonnet/bumpers to cut the costs down for you, and do the other little touch ins that may be needed whilst its there...you probably won't get a courtesy car, if you do it'll be an old banger he keeps for such things which you'll have to get your own insurer to cover...this would be my preferred route in this case from the sounds of it.

When you know the true cost of doing it as cheaply as possible then you can judge whether its worth not claiming.

I've got about a £300 excess, my fag packet figure of fixing anything that should happen myself is £1000ish total cost.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/12/2013 at 11:42

Claim on insurance or self repair - brum

Depends on how much NCD you will lose and how much the claim is for in relation to your excess.

As you say, your premium will go up anyway.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You reported it to the police, which is good, but did you get a registration number?

Edited by brum on 09/12/2013 at 11:43

Claim on insurance or self repair - hillman

I have an uninsured driver accident clause written in to my insurance with Saga. It's written in a way that's difficult to understand, and when I asked the saleslady to clarify it her answer was vague as though she didn't fully understand it either.

Claim on insurance or self repair - Falkirk Bairn

I have an uninsured driver accident clause written in to my insurance with Saga.

Only when the 3rd party driver is identified.....hit & run you are on your own.

Claim on insurance or self repair - DigDug.

Thanks.

My NCD is protected, so that is something, I suppose.

I had a look on Confused.com and adding the claim only adds about £150 to my annual premium, so not terrible.

It asks if I have had any accidents or claims, but then only let's me add details of a claim. So I tried a zero claim and a claim for £1000 and got the same results (i.e. the additional £150).

Thats looking OK then DD, so adding your excess to the increase gives you this years total cost if you claim.

Then all you have to factor in is the worth of losing a protected 'life' and the likely increase next few years as the claim will still be reportable but ageing.

Is it worth phoning one the Confused results and asking them to amend the quote should you have this reportable accident but no claim made? You should then have every figure you need to decide once you've got a sensible quote from a small indy bodyshop.

Claim on insurance or self repair - DigDug.

Thanks.

I spent a bit of time on GoCompare instead, which does let you add an incident (without a claim).

It looks like over the next 5 years, a claim of £1000 would only add a total of about £170 (for the whole 5 years, not per annum). Adding that to my excess of £250, comes out at £420, which is much better than I was hoping.

As far as I can tell I would need a whole new lower rear section (it is a Ford Mondeo). It is the single panel that runs ffrom the rear of the wheel all the wall around to the rear of the other wheel and up to the tail lights.

I will have to get some quotes, but do you think that it is going to be far north of £400? I'm guessing it will be, especially if anything else turns up damaged behind the panel.

Thats handy about GoCompare, thanks for letting us know, following their mind numbing adverts i wouldn't have considered using them again otherwise.

Haven't the foggiest how much the repair would be at a small indy, repair panels are surprisingly cheap but obviously there's a fair bit of work and paint involved plus cutting off shaping welding and finishing off.

I reckon it'll be a toss up between the two and not a hundred quid in it, especially if you can source a second hand back bumper...i'm assuming the bumper has taken a clout.

Claim on insurance or self repair - RT

My NCD is protected, so that is something, I suppose.

NCD Protection is valuable but not absolute - they won't reduce your NCD but can still increase the base premium, having the same effect!