Audi A4 Avant - is this engine safe from balancer shaft issues? - scfc_151

2006 2.0tdi

Engine number BRE 03366

Im looking to buy a really nice example of this car but ive read horror stories of balancer shaft issues eating the engine

Can anyone confirm if this engine number has known issues.

I was planning on ringing audi to ask them and if there were any recalls for the car

many thanks

Audi A4 Avant - is this engine safe from balancer shaft issues? - dieselnut

Have a read through this then decide for yourself. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-automotive-chat/86907-vag-faulty-blb-engine-thread.html

I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Thanks for the reply but with respect the post you refer to talks about the blb engine. Im asking about the bre engine.

Heres a quote from the forum you linked

"
yeah, the bre engine already has the spur gear drive system.
which is why this blb conversion should be done under warrenty. if the replacement part is of a different design, isnt that admitting that the blb is a poor design.
i mean how long was the blb in production? 20 months? before the bre took over? suprise suprise already with the spur gear system?"
Audi A4 Avant - is this engine safe from balancer shaft issues? - dieselnut

This is from thread #40 of the link above :-

I spent some time on ETKA a while ago trying to figure out why some 2.0PD oil pump drives fail and some don't. The BKD, AZV & BMN 2.0 engines (which is what found their way into the 2.0 PD Octavia, A3, Golf, various Seats) used a chain driven oil pump very similar, but not identical, to the old 1.9 130hp PD engine. This never seems to give any problems. I can tell from ETKA these engines don't have a balancer shaft which I think is the key to it - it's the balancer shafts that cause the problems on the 'posher' VAG 2.0 PD diesels eg Passat, A4, Superb. By trying to make the engine more refined for the more expensive models they destroyed it's reliability in the process.

Very briefly, the 2.0 PD differs from the 1.9 in having twin Lanchester balancing shafts which contra-rotate at 2x crank speed. The first engines used a chain drive which was a complete disaster (pictures on this website) and the later engines a gear drive. All 2.0 PD got the geared drive towards the end of 2005.

The problem with the 2.0 PD engine is the drive from the slave balancer shaft to the oil pump, which is a piece of 6 AF hex bar which has inadequate engagement depth with the grooves in the slave shaft. It's the torsional oscillations caused by the balance shafts which destroy the oil pump coupling (the 6mm AF bit of hex) and the chain drive to the balancer shafts before the gear driven systems came out, though these still give problems with the hex key rounding. Think washing machine -> unbalanced load -> keep doing it = new machine.

The newer engines with the gear driven balancer shafts still suffer oil pump drive failure, as highlighted above, as the hex coupling rounds off. Doesn't affect every one, but I wouldn't want to spend my hard earned cash on one.

Edited by dieselnut on 08/12/2013 at 14:45

So theres two issues with these engines then. The balancer shaft and then the hex coupling.

Think ill steer clear then its not worth the risk