Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - garoldo

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help.......

Had alot of problems with my streetwise's heaters / overheating engine. Firstly, the heaters were rubbish & took ages to heat up. I took to garage and they pressure washed the coolant system to clear any blockages. This didnt work so they changed the thermostat - this has helped the time it takes to heat up but now when i use the car for the first trip of the day, t as soon as the engine has heated up & the speed hits 50/60 mph, the temp gauge shoots right up to the red zone & heaters blow cold - so have to reduce speed. The 2nd trip of the day, it seems to be fine & everything works - its literally just on first use of the day ie to work.

Really confused - all oil & coolant looks fine and the head gasket was replaced summer last year. Anyone help?

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - bathtub tom

This all happened after the thermostat was changed, so I'd suggest the first place to look would be the thermostat.

It would seem to be sticking, does it have a jiggle pin?

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - Armitage Shanks {p}

Hot here and cold there - I'd be thinking airlock or perhaps faulty temp gauge. Are all the hoses hot at the end of a trip?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 30/11/2013 at 17:04

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - Doc

Sounds like an air lock to me.

The k-series application is well known for this. The system needs to be filled very slowly and the hoses need squeezing on filling.

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - Collos25

If it is overheating due to either air locks or a faulty thermostat if you keep running the car it is more than likely you will blow the HG, better to solve the problem sooner than later.

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - Peter.N.

A failed head gasket could unfortunately be the problem.

Unlikely, the head was machined/skimmed/ gasket replaced in summer last year. Will look into the airlock problem tho.

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - Cyd

Unlikely, the head was machined/skimmed/ gasket replaced in summer last year. Will look into the airlock problem tho.

Do not discount a repeat failure. A common occurance according to one garage I spoke to abut my wifes 25 recently. We've had a repeat failure after 2 yrs 16k.

Hot here and cold there - I'd be thinking airlock or perhaps faulty temp gauge. Are all the hoses hot at the end of a trip?

Hey, went on a trip today and all hoses were very hot - except for the small one that goes back to the top of the coolant tank.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into the airlock problem. See if i can get to the bottom of it!

Edited by garoldo on 01/12/2013 at 09:33

There is one thing i noticed actually that i forgot to mention, when i opened the bonnet after getting home from work, there was a high pressure hissing coming from the coolant tank cap - could that be contributing to the problem?

Rover Streetwise - Cooling System Headache - Cyd

change the cap. it may have failed and isn't allowing the system to pressurise. seen this failure a few times.