Winter Driving - Cluedo
I have recently had the pleasure of travelling around much of Scandanavia and noticed the lack of 4x4 vehicles in comparison to the UK. Off course everyone has winter tyres with many of them studded (allowed between October and March - I think) and I was surprised at how effective these are - even on rear wheel drive cars. Saw loads of BMWs and Mercs getting around with no problem. Most Taxis in Norway seem to be Mercs so they clearly work well with winter tyres. Once again confirms the view that 4x4 are nothing but a status symbol to many people - although I do appreciate some people do need them for their jobs such as farmers etc. This struck me when I was reading the HJ review on the Insignia Cross Country and thinking what a pointless car.
Winter Driving - RT

In winter conditions, it's always been true that a 2wd car on winter tyres, driven by those who see winter conditions every year, will make much better progress than a 4wd on summer tyres, driven by those who rarely see winter conditions.

Having seen the sharp differential in driving ability in winter conditions as you travel north in the UK, I think the main difference between Scandinavia and UK is down to drivers here just not used to winter.

Winter Driving - Andrew-T
Of course everyone has winter tyres with many of them studded ... and I was surprised at how effective these are - even on rear wheel drive cars.

There's nothing new in studded tyres. I recall watching car-racing on a frozen Dows Lake in Ottawa in winter 1966-67. IIRC most cars were new-fangled FWD things like 1100s, and they didn't seem to be travelling much slower than usual.

Winter Driving - Collos25

Winter tyres will make an ace out of a novice especially if its a rear wheel drive car but its 7 degrees here were I am in Germany this time last year we had plenty of snow and a very deep frost.

Winter Driving - bazza

Also, many 4x4 in UK are fitted with a pseudo sporty summer tyre by the manufacturer as they are not expected to venture further off road than the pavement. Then, when conditions deteriorate they are less capable than they could be. Agree, many if not all are style wagons, particularly the latest offerings from LR, including Evoque. But a proper 4x4 on Winter or Mud tyres is a very capable beast in snow.

I also have experienced Norwegian weather, -15C , 70mph on a snow covered main road on studded tyres in a Ford Mondeo. But studs wouldn't be allowed or any use over here, not enough snow!

Winter Driving - RT

Most 4wd cars get delivered in the UK with summer tyres - because most 4wd bought in the UK are never intended to go off tarmac, or go anywhere a 2wd car won't go.

A few models of 4wd are delivered in the UK with All-Season tyres - those of Far Eastern manufacture on not very good All-Season tyres - those fitted with European All-Season tyres either as standard or aftermarket are usually quite adequate for winter conditions in most of England but often let down by the incompetence of their drivers.

I personally run aftermarket Pirelli All-Season M+S all year round on my Far East-built 4wd because - a) living in the Midlands, I rarely see enough bad conditions to warrant Winter tyres - b) if I did use Winter tyres I'd still be stuck behind all those in front on Summer tyres and - c) having experienced several Scottish winters, I know how to drive in winter conditions.

Scandinavia and the Alpine areas of Europe are very different though.

Winter Driving - SteveLee

Also, many 4x4 in UK are fitted with a pseudo sporty summer tyre by the manufacturer as they are not expected to venture further off road than the pavement. Then, when conditions deteriorate they are less capable than they could be. Agree, many if not all are style wagons, particularly the latest offerings from LR, including Evoque. But a proper 4x4 on Winter or Mud tyres is a very capable beast in snow.

Less capable? Blooming liability more like, two and a half tonnes of Range Rover on 22ich rims plus sporty rubber with wide boy onboard thinking he's unstoppable - 'til he tries to stop and finds he is but not in the way he thought...

Winter Driving - Collos25

Don't the statistics say that a 4x4 is more likely to have a serious accident than a normal car.

Winter Driving - dan86

Probably because as mentioned above people think they are unstoppable in a 4x4 even when they haven't got the skill or know how.

Winter Driving - Hamsafar

Britain has a long and proud heritage of making very capable 4x4 vehicles (Land Rovers).
Most 4x4's we see on UK Roads are Land Rovers.
This is a British success story that we should be proud of.

Other countries can have their renaults and saabs if they like and good luck to them.

Winter Driving - skidpan

Most 4x4's we see on UK Roads are Land Rovers.

Have you actual number to prove that?

Most of the 4 x 4's I see are the fashion accessory type that in truth may not even be a 4 x 4. But there again Land Rover sell models that are front wheel drive now.

Winter Driving - RT

The big numbers of Land Rovers comes from Freelander and Evoques - you also need to strip out all the Range Rovers on rubber band tyres and driven by the less able.

Winter Driving - focussed

Probably because as mentioned above people think they are unstoppable in a 4x4 even when they haven't got the skill or know how.

I witnessed a stereotype 4wd accident some years ago. Shogun exited the A47/A140 roundabout heading southbound A 140. The road was wet and slippery, typical minging winter road conditions. I was about to enter the r'about from the previous minor u/c road. The shogun passed across the front of me and signalled left to leave r'about, I then followed it onto the r'about. As it was leaving the r'about the back end snapped to the right and the the driver panic braked, and it slid into the kerb of the central divider and overturned coming to rest on it's side. I carried on and did an orbit of the r'about to come back to the incident safely, female driver, vehicle full of kids all screaming etc. Nobody seriously hurt thankfully, no other vehicle involved.

Usual story,completely avoidable with a bit of skill and experience.