VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - KenC

I have noticed that my car battery is starting to struggle to deliver a clean strong "start",It is the original battery from new.

I am considering changing it myself and aquiring a new battery from one of the on line battery stores. ( less than half price of well known retailers )

I have the radio security code and am aware of how to reset the electric windows

My question is, is there any other technical problem that may develop by disconnecting the battery ?

ps Halfords tell me that they DO NOT use any type of reserve power supply during a battery change.

all sensible replies welcomed, thank you

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - Peter.N.

On most cars you can get away with just disconnecting the battery providing you have the nesessary codes, its what happens if your battery goes flat anyway.

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - Simon

Just change it as normal, there isn't an awful lot that you can upset and certainly nothing major.

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - bsm

If DIY, wear goggles and use an insulated spanner if possible. Disconnect the earth lead first and reconnect it last. Clean the battery clamps with a pan scrubber and apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to clamps and battery terminals.

regards Mo

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - elekie&a/c doctor

This is not a difficult job,but a bit of a fiddle.The hold down clamp at the bottom of the battery is bolted to the battery box by a 13mm bolt but is tight access behind the headlight.You will need a ratchet and long extension and socket.Check the battery label onthe top and make sure you buy the correct spec part.The EN and CCA numbers are important.I would check with VW parts,as they may have a special offer on batteries.I would go for a branded product;Bosch,Varta,Exide ,Yuasa etc.Anything else will be junk.hth

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - bathtub tom

>>The EN and CCA numbers are important.

What do they refer to? I've googled them without succes. It's a new one on me.

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - Chris M

EN refers to the terminal type and CCA is the Cold Cranking Amps.

e.g. www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.0...0

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - elekie&a/c doctor

EN is the european standard of measuring.In the case of car batteries it is the CCA.Sometimes the CCA is given as an SAE number ,which could be a higher figure,so may be confusing to a purchaser.So it is a good idea when buying a battery that the spec is checked like for like.This may helpwww.cen.eu/cen/products/en/pages/default.aspx

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - bathtub tom

Thanks for that.

VW Golf My 4 Diesel 2003 - DIY Battery Change - KenC

Thank You and everyone for their contributions,

I have checked the label on the Original Batterywhich states.

12V 70 Ah 340 A DIN, 570 A EN/SAE.

Does anyone have any opinions about the Sealed Calcium Alphaline Battery

Range offered (online) by performance batteries from Tewksbury ?

I have been looking at the Alpaline Battery part Number 57220.

12V 72Ah Cold Cranking 680