Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - iantor17
Please guys I need your expert advice!

I've got the 2010 308 1.6HDi Peugeot and I'm very happy with it in general, excellent fuel efficiency, good solid feel and a smooth drive. BUT..... yesterday the boot decided to stop working.

When I press the button to open the boot, I can hear the mechanism and it sounds the same as normal but the boot catch doesn't open. Also I've tried using a screwdriver from inside on the emergency boot opener, which also moves freely to the left but fails to open the catch. Is there another way to get it open - removing panels etc.? I really hope so, please help guys :)
Thank you!

Edited by iantor17 on 11/11/2013 at 20:42

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - Gibbo_Wirral

Hello,

This seems to happen a lot on the 407s, down to a combination of damaged wires or water in the button.

I've not had it happen to me but there's a lot of coverage and suggestions on a few threads (one for each particular model) on Peuegotforums.com

I've been reading feverishly through the other forums but the problem is a bit different. The button on the outside works fine and the lock is making a noise like it's trying to open but it doesn't. Not even the manual override on the inside opens the boot. Seems like the plunger/actuator or whatever it is, is detached inside the lock assembly. There is no keyhole or any other mechanism (that I can see) to open the boot. The boot door plastics and the tailgate plastics don't seem to come off unless the boot is open so I can't even see the lock assembly.

I'm quite certain the lock is broken and I've bought a new one but what would you do in a situation like this? I'm beginning to think there's no way to open it, which, to be honest, would be absolutely crazy for a 3 year old car!

Thank you for your help though Gibbo_Wirral :)

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - Gibbo_Wirral

Bit of a drastic measure but you might have to cut into the plastic to get access.

But before you do I'd sign up and post on peugeotforums.com and Peugeotcentral to see if any other 308 owners have had a similar problem - they're more likely to frequent those sites than a generic car forum.

I've checked Peugeot's parts database and the price for a new plastic liner is £43.20.

If you need the technical drawings for your car let me know as I have access to them.

Thank again Gibbo_Wirral!

I've already posted on Peugeotforums but I've had absolutely no response. I've just posted the question on Peugeotcentral so I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. The new lock hasn't turned up yet so I'm reluctant to start chopping the plastics but I will if i have to. It'll be cheaper than taking it to Peugeot, even if I have to replace trims!

If you had drawings for the boot door or tailgate area that would be absolutely excellent, thank you.

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - oldroverboy.

Might sound daft, but ask your pug dealer/bodyshop if it is possible to open and how much. If they give you a price/time you will know it's possible. On my chevrolet when the same happened got a mate inside the boot via the rear seta and he belted the boot lid upper suface witha bid wooden mallet while i was pressing the release and it popped, then got it fixed properly, different car i know, but cheap to try.

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - Colin O'Donoghue

Peugeot 308SW 2009 Estate has a fifth rear door AND a rear window open button under the rear chrome strip.

If you fumble and trigger the REAR WINDOW button instead of the REAR DOOR, you will hear a click but see no difference as you then have to lift the window manually. However the rear door will not now open and you will also be unable to lock any door until the rear window is pressed back into place.

A message on the consul says the rear window is open.

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - elekie&a/c doctor

If the tailgate will not open from either the button or the emergency lever,then I would suspect the latch has failed. The next step would be to remove the inner door card (with a struggle) and carefully break the latch open to release the mechanism.

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - Andrew-T

Have you tried thumping the tailgate near the lock with a closed fist (so as not to do any damage) ? That has an effect on the tailgate-hatch on my Pug 207SW (see similar thread here).

I occasionally look at Peugeot forums, but I get the impression that there aren't many active respondents.

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - gordonbennet

Let us hope 4 years later that the OP managed to get the boot lock fixed..:-)

Peugeot 308 - Can't open the boot - Victoria933
HELP............. I have the same problem xx