Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Skezza

This is a topic that was covered on PistonHeads a while back... unfortunately, their userbase totally missed the point (like they always do) and it ended up turning into a bit of a joke, with guys talking about how big their wangs are... a regular occurence on PistonHeads.

So, my question again...

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? (Regardless of whether it's necessary) Are they designed to push people into buying new cars?

Let me give you an example... using my own car.

My car is a Volkswagen Lupo SDI. It has a 1.7 N/A Diesel Engine. It's not fast, it's not particularly fun, but it's super fuel efficient and great for my 80 miles a day, travelling to work and back. Driving carefully, you can easily achieve in excess of 75MPG. In fact, I've achieved 79MPG as my highest, and one fella I know on ClubLupo actually achieved over 80MPG. That is fantastic even for modern day standards and as I've already said, the engines are naturally aspirated, so there is little chance of blowing them up and they have a reputation for lasting 'forever'. I say that as a quote, because obviously it's unmeasurable, but there is someone who successfully passed the 1 million mile mark in a VW Polo SDI from the same generation (without any major engine work), so yes, these engines do have a pretty good shelf life.

So here's the problem, mine is a V reg. That means despite it's ridiculously good fuel efficiency and it's low emissions, my tax will be £225 every year, until they increase it further... If it had been manufactured just over a year later, it would be a VED Band C car, aka, £35 a year. So, why did I go for a V reg when I could have bought a newer one? Firstly I was in a rush, and needed a car desperately as my old one had just been written off; secondly, as we all know, the older models stuck with the higher tax always cost less to buy in the first place and mine sure did. I paid just £1000 when Y reg's are still going for near £2000, and newer ones go for lots more. Currently on eBay, there's a 52 Reg for £2400 and it's not even the higher spec'd model; it's the base model Lupo E (mine is the Lupo S model with CL+EW).

So the short-term benefit is there, but in just 5 years, if I keep the car, I'll have paid £900 for tax alone. Throw in the odd cambelt + regular servicing and that initlaly cheap car has quickly cost quite a lot., but the majority of cost will be VED. If you service your own car, then the VED cost will genuinely be by far the biggest expense. Consider the natural depreciation in car value due to ageing and mileage (in my case a lot) then the car will be worth next to nothing... but what if the car is still fine? There's no reason why it couldn't be unless I crash it or start mistreating it. VW Lupo's have a solid chassis and don't suffer from the usual rust/rot problems with cars of that generation, and I've already described how the engines are robust (SDI particularly)... so, in that position, I know what I, and a lot of other people would do:

Break it for parts. There's a huge parts market and there's plenty of money to be made from breaking second hand cars... so potentially, the car will be broken, simply because the tax is too expensive. By that time, newer cheaper tax Lupo SDI's will have come down in price and there is no reason why the money made from selling parts couldn't easily fund the purchase of a new one... if I wanted one. We already write off too many cars in my opinion, without considering a repair. Who's to say this isn't already happening now? We're breaking cars for the sake of it, just because the tax has started to become too expensive?

Thoughts?

Please don't let this turn into a PistonHead style discussion. e.g. "Well my Golf R32 was made in late 2006 so I only pay £220 but it would have been £490". That isn't my point, I'm talking about older cars and the fact VED is slowly forcing them out.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - mss1tw

Of course that's what they want, get out there and spend like a good consumer should, the 'recovery' depends on you.

I'm in the same position, paying £115 a year for a diesel Berlingo. That's around the same a friend paid for his full-size Ford Transit turbo diesel. But I only paid £2400 for it in 2011 so I just class it as a consumable cost. It's not like it can cost me much more in depreciation and basic servicing is easy to DIY)

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - skidpan

So you are doing over 20,000 miles a year in the Lupo and at 75 mpg you are spending just over £1600 a year in diesel.

Simple fact is you could buy a newer car and pay less tax but another simple fact is no newer car will do that mpg despite what the figures say. If you were lckyy and got a car that did 65 mpg you would be spending almost £1900 in fuel.

Plus you would have to find several £1000 to trade up.

So you swap it and spend less on tax but more on fuel and have loan repayments.

Do the sums, its simple enough, you would be out of pocket.

If its reliable be happy and keep using it.

Look at the bigger picture.

So you are doing over 20,000 miles a year in the Lupo and at 75 mpg you are spending just over £1600 a year in diesel.

Simple fact is you could buy a newer car and pay less tax but another simple fact is no newer car will do that mpg despite what the figures say. If you were lckyy and got a car that did 65 mpg you would be spending almost £1900 in fuel.

Plus you would have to find several £1000 to trade up.

So you swap it and spend less on tax but more on fuel and have loan repayments.

Do the sums, its simple enough, you would be out of pocket.

If its reliable be happy and keep using it.

Look at the bigger picture.

I easily do 20k miles in a year. I probably do nearer 25k miles, when you factor in weekend/summer driving as well. If I drive it carefully I can easily average 75MPG yep, just depends on what mood I'm in to be honest haha and of course making sure the tyres are pumped etc, which is normal for all cars!

It's dead reliable and I'm very happy with it. I've owned two Lupo's now and it's really convinced me about the quality of VW's around that time. It recently had it's MOT, the 14th I assume (was the 3 year rule around when it was first made? if so the 11th). It passed with no advisories. I did change the brake pads before it went in though, I think they'd have flagged an advisory lol! That said, my old man owns a newer Passat and I'm not convinced that VW quality is as good now, as it was back then!

Well the way I look at it, I saved roughly £1000 by going for a pre-2001 model, which is great, but in 4 years (noting I've owned it for a year), that £1000 saving will have been paid in tax alone... so at that point, it immediately becomes financially unviable to keep. Every year from then on makes the car less financially prudent.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Bromptonaut

Well the way I look at it, I saved roughly £1000 by going for a pre-2001 model, which is great, but in 4 years (noting I've owned it for a year), that £1000 saving will have been paid in tax alone... so at that point, it immediately becomes financially unviable to keep. Every year from then on makes the car less financially prudent.

I don't share the 'logic' of that calculation. You got a car cheap by going for the pre 01 model but the quid pro quo is higher VED.

Surely you need to look at the overall picture. You have a car that is economical and suits your needs but is costing (say) £170 a year more in VED than the post 01 model. But the rub is that you'll spend another grand or two to realise the 'saving' from the newer model.

Just stick with it until either it no longer suits or becomes unreliable.

The liklihood is that VED on newer cars will go up in the medium term. Manufacturers have gamed the system to squeeze lots of quite large cars in the lowest bands. The return on VED is becoming unsutainably low.

The bottom line is that Government needs money to pay for big ticket items like health, education, defence and pensions. All the rest is a side show. Chasing down waste and abolishing a few Quangos looks good in the press but the savings are milions and health alone needs billions just to cope with ageing etc.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - artill

It does work the other way too of course. My Father drives a 3.0 Peugeot 406 V6. Its T reg. So his road tax is the same as yours. If it were a 2001 model it would be more. If they had carried on making them until 2006 a car with that sort of CO2 would be near £500 a year.

If you get pleasure from a car with a larger engine, going older is just about the only cost effective way to go.

It does work the other way too of course. My Father drives a 3.0 Peugeot 406 V6. Its T reg. So his road tax is the same as yours. If it were a 2001 model it would be more. If they had carried on making them until 2006 a car with that sort of CO2 would be near £500 a year.

If you get pleasure from a car with a larger engine, going older is just about the only cost effective way to go.

Now that's interesting. I never knew that was the case, so in a way it's beneficial for large engine classic cars then?

At a guess my "classic" would have a CO2 figure of approaching 250 if it had been tested when manufactured. That would result in me paying £475 a year. Unfortunately my car is not old enough to be free but it costs me a very reasonable £225 a year.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - brum

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars?

The answer must be yes, not all, but quite a lot.

I have this debate with myself at MOT/VED renewal time. I have a 15 yr old Alhambra TDi that I might only do around 5k a year in, but it still returns 55mpg average (I've had 70mpg on 2 occasions on 180 mile runs and 60 mpg is easy in summer on long A road runs)

So £225 represents over 2000 miles in fuel or 40% of what I might spend a year in fuel. Add MOT and its 50%.

But, its a almost pristine ultra reliable car that I know inside out, that I can DIY service (except cambelts), everyone in the family loves and finds comfortable (velour seats!!!).

So each year, I angrily pay the £225 VED and £50 MOT.

Next year I epect it will be dearer again.

As commented earlier, society and government are pressuring people to throw away perfectly good stuff for so called eco friendlier tech - conveniently overlooking the true cost to the environment (and to us).

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Andrew-T

"Next year I epect it will be dearer again. As commented earlier, society and government are pressuring people to throw away perfectly good stuff for so called eco friendlier tech - conveniently overlooking the true cost to the environment (and to us)."

It's not just that. Governments daren't risk doing anything to damage the car-making business.

By the way, Skezza (and others) - are your consumptions read from your dashboard, or calculated from reliable measuements?

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - A3 A4

VED has never been fair, its just another green stealth tax and a very unfair one.

Lets take a company car, an Audi 2.0TDI e, VED band C, cost £0 for the first year then £30 there on in, that car covers £40k + miles per year. Now compare that to my sister who has a 10 year old Golf 1.6, the car has only done 37k, thats 3700 miles per year, but is paying £200 per year VED.

So not only will the Golf have used the roads less it will have also created far less polution. Which is more green, keeping a car longer and running it less or the energy used to make a new one? its a no brainer, yet no concession is made.

This is of course punishing those struggling on low and fixed incomes, as these are the people who cannot afford to replace their car every three years - OAP's are probably those most affected by running older cars.

Is answer to your question, the goverment does not want old cars on the road, not because they're not green, but because keeping an old car doesn't help lift the economy.

IMO a decent car made between 1998 and 2006 will probably be more reliable and last longer than one manufactured after, corrosion had been conquered, quality was better (pre recession) emission controls were more relaxed (DPF's etc) and the electronics were more simple.

I intend to keep my 02 Audi A4 TDI PD going for as long as possible, or at least until the government price it off the road...

VED has never been fair, its just another green stealth tax and a very unfair one.

How is VED a stealth tax. Its clear what you are paying. If I pay the same as another person with the same car what is unfair about that.

When i buy cars I look at the VED and use that as one of the selection criteria. If the car I choose has a high VED thats my decision but I will know what it is.

Fine for a choice you may make today, but what if you made that choice years ago, and whats to say the rules, or rates won't rise or change again in the future ?

I can see the green lobby coming after old diesel vehicles in the not too distant...

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - artill

When the current system was introduced in 2001 it was cheaper for the highest level than the pre 2001 tax. This has now reversed by quite a margin.

It seems wrong to alter the relative positions after a car has been made. Its not as if the current owner can do anything about it.

I'm in no doubt that it's a tax on the poorest, I just hadn't brought that up as I was speaking from a purely vehicle perspective. The poorest usually own older cars, like mine, and as such, then pay more in tax than those who can afford newer cars.

I really hope they don't retrospectively change the rules anymore, because I already feel £225 is far too much for my car, considering the facts and figures. I pay it, because I'm still reeping the benefits of the original cost, but that won't be the case in a few years.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Snakey

VED seems to be adjusted to maximise the profit from the most popular cars.

i.e hit the 'Mondeo man' band in the area of £200, with the token £0-30 band for the electric cars we see so often, and the stupid £480 band to penalise the 'gas guzzlers'

When we're all dying in g-whizz related crashes they will be charged at around £200! It will never be about green credentials, always about maximising the intake from the most popular cars

i.e hit the 'Mondeo man' band in the area of £200, with the token £0-30 band for the electric cars we see so often,

What century are you in. A typical Mondeo TDCi is between 114 CO2 for the 1.6 and 129 CO2 for the 2.0. The VED is either £30 or £105 for those.

My Seat Leon 1.4 TSI petrol is 119 CO2, £30 a year.

Since when has a Mondeo diesel or a Seat Leon petrol been "token electric cars".

I'm not sure what your point is...

I'm not sure what your point is...

Well if you cannot understand it I am not going to explain it.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Graham567

Most diesel Mondeo's are like mine(59 plate) which have the 2.0 engine.Road tax is £175 with co2 at 156g/km.

Edited by Videodoctor on 06/11/2013 at 18:02

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - gordonbennet

Unfortunately there's cut off points and just missed it dates in all walks of life, VED is just another of the myriad we have to endure.

Yes i suppose it would be annoying on such a frugal vehicle as Skezza's, but on the other hand that generation of cars win for their owners by being robustly simple and durable where their replacements, whilst being cheaper for VED, can present their owners with bills that make a £225 annual tax bill pale into insignificance.

Funny thing is my 3.2 24v MB is the same VED rate, just or unjust?, its on LPG so debatable which is more of a polluter.

As one postser has mentioned, its all designed to make us buy new, spend what little we have left after tax to keep their taxation merry go round turning, every transaction every person involved in the production distribution sale etc taxed and then taxed again, they want your money and thats all they want from you...apart from your unquestioning support every 5 years.

I suppose dissidents are those who buy even older cars, then feed them on home brew fuels thereby denying the monster food (tax)...that scenario might have featured just a little bit in the decision to LPG my old MB..;)...its not home brew but LPG is taxed substantially lower, for the time being.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/11/2013 at 19:06

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Snakey

i.e hit the 'Mondeo man' band in the area of £200, with the token £0-30 band for the electric cars we see so often,

What century are you in. A typical Mondeo TDCi is between 114 CO2 for the 1.6 and 129 CO2 for the 2.0. The VED is either £30 or £105 for those.

My Seat Leon 1.4 TSI petrol is 119 CO2, £30 a year.

Since when has a Mondeo diesel or a Seat Leon petrol been "token electric cars".

Where did I say that a mondeo or leon was an electric car?

My point was the commonest cars will hit the VED sweet spot of 'around' £200 - and only the rare cars getting the £0 band. When everyone is in a Nissan leaf then VED for that will be around £200 (assuming VED still exists then)

So not only will the Golf have used the roads less it will have also created far less polution. Which is more green, keeping a car longer and running it less or the energy used to make a new one? its a no brainer, yet no concession is made.

Come on, a car doing 3700 miles/year has damaged the roads less, sure. But it has also paid less fuel tax. Must take rough with smooth.

Very true, but my point was that is a sleath tax, VED is now based on the emission of the vehicle (pollution tax?). Governments down the years have refused to add it to the cost of fuel as they know they can drag more tax out of low mileage owners by having a standard rate across the board. If the government was really serious about us being 'green' they would add it to fuel, common sense, more useage = more tax.

VED is fixed, an owner can affect the fuel tax he pays by the way he drives and the frequency he uses his car, a careful and economical driver will pay less tax, and of course be more 'green'....

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - madf

VED rates are published.. there are lists on this site.

Any buyer worried about costs does their research BEFORE they buy.

To complain after that it's a stealth tax says more about the complainer - cos it ain't and it shows a lack of foresight when buying.

VED rates are published.. there are lists on this site.

Any buyer worried about costs does their research BEFORE they buy.

To complain after that it's a stealth tax says more about the complainer - cos it ain't and it shows a lack of foresight when buying.

Swing and a miss eh? You totally missed the point. Well done, have a cookie.

I'll reiterate for anyone who ignored the original post: I was fully aware of the cost of VED for my car. I also noted the main benefit being the initial cost of the car being much less.

I am not complaining about the price I am paying, I am simply highlighting that after five years of ownership, if my car is still running, the cost of VED will have negated the benefits of buying an older model. I will have spent £900 (assuming they don't retrospectively change the rules... again) on tax alone, which, added to what my car is currently worth privately, is roughly what you could get a newer model for. I was also trying to point out that by the time I've owned the car for five years, assuming it's been my daily driver all that time, it will have amassed roughly 200k miles and will be near 20 years old. It won't be worth much, if anything, but it might still be a perfectly good car. My point being that I would have to consider breaking it for parts, as to maximise any return on what I sold it for. Therefore, I'd be breaking a perfectly good car, for no other reason than the tax being very expensive. Do you understand now? :-) Wonderful.

Sorry but anyone who buys a car and uses it and looks on it as an investment should really rethink their view of cars...

You're still missing the point. Are you a politician?

You're still missing the point. Are you a politician?

No I am a normal driver who thinks cars are white goods which cost a lot to run . Period.

And to debate Government VED rules may be interesting but an exercise in fultility.

If I were a politician I would soft soap you -= but I am not so you are micturating into the wind.

My point isn't to argue about VED rules. I'm also not debating the economic logic behind owning a car.

I'll reiterate, hopefully for the last time, that from a purely environmental sense, we're wasting cars primarily because of VED. We're destroying cars, simply for the sake of it due to the VED cost being too high. I'm in no doubt that if I do it, albeit in a few years, that many others are already doing it. It's not that hard to understand and it doesn't take a genius to work out the logic behind it, especially when there's such a lucrative parts market. So my point, once again, is that VED is killing old cars because there are better options than to keep the car. Three options yes?

1. Keep the car, continue paying expensive tax, but by this point you're now overpaying.
2. Break the car for parts.
3. Sell the car to a scrappy that may give you £150-£200 for it.

In two cases, you're basically scrapping a perfectly good car.

My point isn't to argue about VED rules. I'm also not debating the economic logic behind owning a car.

I'll reiterate, hopefully for the last time, that from a purely environmental sense, we're wasting cars primarily because of VED. We're destroying cars, simply for the sake of it due to the VED cost being too high. I'm in no doubt that if I do it, albeit in a few years, that many others are already doing it. It's not that hard to understand and it doesn't take a genius to work out the logic behind it, especially when there's such a lucrative parts market. So my point, once again, is that VED is killing old cars because there are better options than to keep the car. Three options yes?

1. Keep the car, continue paying expensive tax, but by this point you're now overpaying.
2. Break the car for parts.
3. Sell the car to a scrappy that may give you £150-£200 for it.

In two cases, you're basically scrapping a perfectly good car.

I still thaink you're starting from a false premise. You, and everyone else in an older car, whether pre emmissions VED or not, need to look at the whole cost.

You're doing 20k miles plus and assuming your realisitc (as opposed to out on a run best) fuel consumption is 50mpg paying well north of £2k for fuel. Add in a couple of basic services and a decent contribution for bits that inevitably wear out or fail and lets say it's costing you £3k a year to run. Depreciation is pretty well zero.

But your obssessing about a an 'excess' VED of £130 which is 4% of your runnig costs. Change the car and you're losing far more in depreciation.

Just drive it, enjoy it, and stop moaning ;-P

Lets see.

Your logic is that VED costs of say an extra £200 per year are more expensive than annual depreciation of £3k/year on a new car.

Hmm..

If the government was really serious about us being 'green' they would add it to fuel, common sense, more useage = more tax.

VED is fixed, an owner can affect the fuel tax he pays by the way he drives and the frequency he uses his car, a careful and economical driver will pay less tax, and of course be more 'green'....

VED is, and I think always has been, a tax on owning a road vehicle, pure and simple - or more accurately (SORN) on putting it on the public road. Originally it would have been a tax on the rich. Maybe it was intended as a deterrent to ownership, but if so, it doesn't work?

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/11/2013 at 23:32

VED is, and I think always has been, a tax on owning a road vehicle, pure and simple - or more accurately (SORN) on putting it on the public road. Originally it would have been a tax on the rich. Maybe it was intended as a deterrent to ownership, but if so, it doesn't work?

Originally of course it was intended to fund the expansion of the road network as vehicle numbers exploded in the early decades of last century. A rare example of a tax earmarked to a specific purpose. Many local roads were little more than dirt tracks until the twenties. The oldest locals will tell you they remember what's now the A4500 linking Northampton with M1/J16 was a shady lane.

The oddity is that nearly 90 years after Churchill abolished the Road Fund there's still a missaprehension that this tax pays for the roads.

In the past I guess car ownership would have been a proxy for a degree of wealth, certainly, Model T notwithstanding that would be case until after WW1. However my Grandfather had a car before WW2. While, as a Mill Manager, he would have graduted to the middle classes he wouldn't have been rich by any rational standard, though i suppose much better off than a Jarrow marcher.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - andy815

My motor tax record for the last 21 years, all 1.4 eight valve engines has been. 1992 £100, 1999 £130, 2000 £55 then grading back up to this year £130, next year £140. You win some and lose some. At least i am getting more mpg these days.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - meldrew

I pulled down some statistics on classic cars some time ago and probably half of the cars that were kept in the tax bracket by that nice Mr Brown are Sorn'd. That means that there are a lot of classics that would be used if their tax was less than £225 and make a contribution to the economy of several times that amount in fuel tax, VAT, spares and repairs etc.

The only alternative is to add the VED to the cost of fuel but of course that would disciminate against the newer "greener" vehicles. It is , as always, a case of pay up and shup up if you want to enjoy your vehicle!

"However my Grandfather had a car before WW2. While, as a Mill Manager, he would have graduated to the middle classes he wouldn't have been rich by any rational standard, though i suppose much better off than a Jarrow marcher."

My mother (no longer with us) owned a Jowett several years before they introduced the driving test in ?1936, so never took one. She would also have been 'middle class', her father having been in the Indian Education Service in the days of the Raj.

Its an EU thing to want old cars of the road, purely to keep the coffers ticking over.

Remember that diktat the EU tried to push through stating that only manufacturers parts (OE) could be fitted to old vehicles, an attempt to have the owners of old cars digging deeper into their pockets and hamper the home mechanic.

Through EU funding they've already seen off many pre 1998 cars through the scappage scheme, there were many a decent fault free car crushed to be replaced with an Asian super mini.

Through EU funding they've already seen off many pre 1998 cars through the scappage scheme, there were many a decent fault free car crushed to be replaced with an Asian super mini.

I'm keeping Pug 205s going when I can .....

I was always against the scrappage scheme. A lot of good cars got scrapped because of that.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Falkirk Bairn

Don't worry there is a replacment for RFL, or maybe how it is calculated.

New cars in the luxury end of the market (eg BMW 5 series) paying as little as £30.00 / yr and the bulk of car sales under 1500cc.........the Government has starved itself of RFL cash.

The BROWN "green taxes" of the 1997-2010 government brought in masses of cash BUT the Government of today need all the Taxes to be piling in money to get the deficit down.

Crystal Ball gazers - What taxes do you think will hit the motorist - say after the next election (2015 at the latest!)

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - jamie745

I've observed PistonHeads in the past. Generally it seems to be made up of some very angry, rather unpleasant people.

The answer to your question? No. Not particularly.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an absurd tax and even more absurd for it to be graded according to supposed emissions. If the tax has to exist then it should be a flat rate on all vehicles, probably with a cut off around 1980 - currently its 1974.

I think what's killing off older cars more is the price of fuel, pushing people into newer diesels, and the cost of repairing old cars. Insurers will write an older car off for a scuffed alloy or a cracked bumper, given the ludicrous costs of repairing such things. Too often buying a totally different car is deemed more economical.

The scrappage scheme was another typical Labour Government move to transfer money from poor to rich, as it took 250,000 roadworthy cars - only vehicles with a valid MOT were eligible - off the road, pushing up prices of the existing stock. It did nothing to help the man in the street, it just propped up some very rich benefactors behind struggling automakers.

I think what's killing off older cars more is the price of fuel, pushing people into newer diesels, and the cost of repairing old cars. Insurers will write an older car off for a scuffed alloy or a cracked bumper, given the ludicrous costs of repairing such things.

Cost of repairing old cars? As long as the relatively simple parts can be found, I bet it's usually cheaper than repairing complex newer ones. The decision is usually based on the intrinsic value of a car, which for an old one can be only scrap.

Yes that's the point. Cosmetic damage especially is expensive stuff to fix so many insurers prefer to write cars off for damaged panels rather than fork out more than the car is worth in rental cars & labour bills etc.

Yes that's the point. Cosmetic damage especially is expensive stuff to fix so many insurers prefer to write cars off for damaged panels rather than fork out more than the car is worth in rental cars & labour bills etc.

In bangernomics terms you live with cosmetic damage. The Xantia had a damaged rear bumper for two years, result of a misjudged reverse off a narrow bridge, as well as numerous scuffs and scratches.

Are current VED rules simply killing old cars? - Bobbin Threadbare

In bangernomics terms you live with cosmetic damage. The Xantia had a damaged rear bumper for two years, result of a misjudged reverse off a narrow bridge, as well as numerous scuffs and scratches.

I gashed my Focus whilst I was still learning. Never claimed, couldn't afford to repair it. I sealed it with some varnishy stuff to avoid rust. Took the hit on p/x. Did not in any way affect the drive or reliability of the car.

I gashed my Focus whilst I was still learning. Never claimed, couldn't afford to repair it. I sealed it with some varnishy stuff to avoid rust. Took the hit on p/x. Did not in any way affect the drive or reliability of the car.

It was my daughter, passed her test but still learning, who bashed the Xantia. The Grand Union Canal and the West Coast rail line run close together round here and in many cases, particularly with the canal, bridges are form the era of horse traffic and many are on blind bends.

Daughter drove to one on only to be confronted by an over assertively driven farm tractor coming other way. Misjudged reversing off and mangled the bumper on Northants' best ironstone.

No real loss as car was going to be run into ground anyway.

That sort of thing kills the car off too, especially if it's a common car. There'll always be a spotless example for sale, so nobody buys a gashed one with sellotaped bumpers, so they often get scrapped or carted off to We Buy Any Car because fixing it costs 50% of the entire cars value.