Peugot 407 - timing belt or chain? - mongot

Does my Peugot 407 HDi 2007 reg have a timing belt or chain? The service interval says the belt needs replacing at 100,000 or for arduous driving 75,000. I do a school run 2 times a day that's 8 miles each way from a cold start - should i get it changed at 75,000 (if it's a belt?) Many thanks.

Peugot 407 - timing belt or chain? - Peter.N.

As far as I know its a belt, all the Hdi's I have had anything to do with have a belt. Its always a good idea to change the belt before recommended mileage for peace of mind. You will need to do a lot of school runs to knock up 75k unless its nearly there now, in which case I would change it now as its 6 years old..

Peugot 407 - timing belt or chain? - jc2

If you're doing two cold starts a day,change it as soon as possible;it's the starts that'll break it.

Peugot 407 - timing belt or chain? - skidpan

If you're doing two cold starts a day,change it as soon as possible;it's the starts that'll break it.

2 cold stats a day on short runs will also potentially cause problems with the DPF (or FAP as Peugeot call them). Not a suitable car for the school run in my opinion.

Peugot 407 - timing belt or chain? - Collos25

Its a belt stick to the 100k change and do not listen to doom mongers your eloy tank will probably want filling at around 100k the 407 hdi se estate I had for business handed down in the family has now close to 500k kilometers on the clock one clutch numerous brake pads and two eloy tank refills its partner sold out has even more miles so do not worry.

Edited by Collos25 on 04/11/2013 at 13:31

Peugot 407 - timing belt or chain? - Gibbo_Wirral

If the components instrumental to a regeneration are functioning - the glow plugs, glow plug relay, fuel cap sensors, cooling fan - and the car is well maintained then the DPF shouldn't be a major problem, but these components will wear sooner than if the car spent its life on the motorway.