Nissan Micra K11c - Rear Wiper Arm broken - cmm

Hi all - my rear wiper arm was yanked by the weight of snow in March so the car looked like a dog with it's tail between its legs...fortunately, it wasn't completely broken, so I was able to put it back to its proper position and tighten the bolt back.

Unfortunately, today's high wind and rain on a motorway journey finally did for it, and the whole arm snapped off near the base. My questions are: can I just replace the wiper arm or will I have to replace the whole unit including the motor? also, am I just as well getting one from a car breakers, or better to get a good quality replacement that might last what this coming winter throws at it?

Thanks

CMM

Nissan Micra K11c - Rear Wiper Arm broken - Fernando P

The wiper arm should be removed quite easily as you already seem to have done so. Normally fitted on a splined shaft with a retaining nut/clip as yours is. Make a note of it's exact position so that the wiping angle is the same. If you think about it, you would need to remove the wiper arm to allow the motor to be removed! Of course if the spindle that the arm is fixed to is broken "inside" somehow, then you would need to investigate further. I think it matters not as to where you source a replacement arm although it might be a tad cheaper from a convenient breaker.

Nissan Micra K11c - Rear Wiper Arm broken - Cyd

A timely reminder for everyone - don't use your wipers to clear snow load, they aren't designed for it. Use a brush or scraper first. Very expensive mistake if you knacker the front mechanism!!

Anyway - arm or spindle?? I would try eBay for a breaker if it's the latter, new from dealer for the former.