Volkswagen Sharan - Sharan overheating - zhr1849
Hi,
it's first time I ve posted on here hope someone can help
I brought through eBay sharan 2.0 tdi sport 2006 test drove it it seemed fine so I paid the guy and left to come home I was about 200 miles from home.when I done about 40 miles it started over heating pulled over checked no water in expansion bottle luckily had some big bottle of water with us so put it in drove ok for about another 40 miles started to over heat again so I rang the guy who sold it to me I asked him to be straight with as I ve broke down on moterway and it's middle of the night he assured me he knew nothing about overheating, any way calked aa had to be towed away next day in my local garage mechanic found that thermostat had holes drilled in it so we replace it with new one I will get straight to point
New thermostat
Water pump and timing belt
New expansion bottle with cap
Fresh anti freeze
He said he also flushed the system
And the head is ok no oblivious signs
And it still overheats after about 15 to 20 miles and it seems to draw the water in from expansion bottle and as soon as I open lid comes back up
Any clues what it might be
Volkswagen Sharan - Sharan overheating - Collos25

Headgasket favourite radiator blocked a slight chance assuming no leaks .The previous owner sold it because he did not want the expense of a renewing the HG,there is no 100% test other than head removal.

Volkswagen Sharan - Sharan overheating - pd

Sounds like it is drawing coolant into the cylinders and evaporating it out through the exhaust.

It could be an air lock but sounds like a headgasket to me (or possibly a cracked block).

Volkswagen Sharan - Sharan overheating - brum

Surely its a 1.9 pd engine?

Possibly a leaking (internally) EGR cooler

Its also common for people to tuning box/remap this engine/car and if it its used for towing or enthustiastically then the head often develops small cracks around the exhaust valves or the head gasket goes. Water loss only occurs when the engine is under load and hot, so static tests in the garage usually show nothing.

A drilled thermostat shows the owner or previous owner(s) definitely knew there was a problem. You should really consider threatening legal action if he doesnt give you your money back, but that has been a little weakened by you attempting to fix it.

Other areas to check include blocked/leaking radiator (check end tanks for tell tale signs) leaking. Lots of helpful info here: www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php

Edited by brum on 21/10/2013 at 23:41

Hi again,
first of all thanku to all who replied to my question will show all these messages to my mechanic I think I am bit late for trying to get my money back so looks like the head next on the list my mechanic suggested the same so once again thank u very much for ur replys and will keep u all informed of the outcome of it
Regards
Volkswagen Sharan - Sharan overheating - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Hi all I just wanted to thank every one who posted on here,it was very helpful better then any garage advice the problem with sharan was the head it was woped a bit, got it ground and was perfect after that replaced head gasket and all the other things like seals on injectors etc any way make it short, it runs like a dream now no more overheating woo hoooo
Once again many thanks
Regards
Zak