Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - Slipstream

My car [owned from new] has always been serviced at recommended intervals by either franchised dealers or trusted independents. Just lately, applying very light brake pressure when coming to a halt [2/3 mph] has led to what may or may not be the ABS system kicking in - a sort of light "chattering", rather than pulsing, can be felt through the brake pedal itself. This can also be heard from within the car. This occurs intermittently, on smooth tarmac. In all other respects, the brakes function normally. There are no warning lights on the dash or fluid loss.

An ASK Honest John advisor suggested checking out brake discs, pads and reluctor rings. A trusted local garage has done this and everything seemed to be OK. The ABS system was also checked and appeared OK. But the issue remains as persistent as before. What's going on? Any advice would be much appreciated, please.

Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - gordonbennet

I suspect something loose or worn which hasn't been picked up by the mechanics.

Check caliper securing bolts, remove pads and inspect properly check anti rattle springs and sliders and caliper pistons arn't seized, clean and lubricate as necessary on refit, check condition of inside face of discs, remove rear drums and check shoes and wheel cylinders for security and correct free movement, check all suspension and steering bushes including anti roll bar and shocker mountings and bushes.

One other thought is that a CV coupling could be running dry but i would have expected that to be noisy on turns, still worth checking.

Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - bathtub tom

Does your ABS light show when the ABS is operating? If so (or if you don't know), can you find a bit of grass to brake on and operate the ABS, then brake gently to produce your symptoms and see if the ABS light shows.

Alternatively, remove the ABS fuse and see if the symptoms remain.

Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - Cyd

The symptoms sound very similar to a common fault whch used to afflict Rover 800s. The sensor mounting blocks were made of mazak and when they corroded they squeezed the sensors to death. The fault would be intermittent at first and this is when the symptoms similar to what you describe would appear - ie the ABS would chatter below 5mph.

I'm sure more modern cars don't have the same design failing (designed by Honda, of course), but it might be worth checking all the sensors and associated wiring for damage and continuity.. Unplug and reconnect at all points in case it's a connection issue.

As above, also check for mechanical issues, ie anything loose, including wheel nuts.

Have you tried invoking the ABS? And does this bring on the light?

Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - elekie&a/c doctor

I would say this is very likely to be an issue with a reluctor ring.(one at each wheel.)Check very closely for any cracks/fractures or excessively worn teeth due to corrosion .I looked at a Daewoo last week with exactly the same symptoms (no abs light showing)and found the r/h/f relutor ring cracked.

Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - dieselnut

I had exactly this situation with my Passat after work was done last Friday to replace a lower balljoint & outer driveshaft gaiter.

When I checked the hub I found the ABS sensor had vibrated out from its hole in the hub ( only about 3mm ) & no retaining bolt. I tapped it back in with a wood block & small hammer.

I'm guessing that vibration from the work done had loosened it slightly.

Fault rectified.

Toyota Yaris Verso [2000 model, 119,000 miles] - Braking issue - madf

The front ABS sensors are plugged into the hubs held by one bolt. When you undo that.,the reductor ring can be inspected by peering through the hole. The most likely faliure is the passenger side due to road dirt/water.

The rear sensors are integral with the hubs and no inspection is possible. New OE hubs are c £200(!) but pattern are c £75.

Has the brake fluid been changed recently? If not a complete change and bleeding the clutch (uses the same fluid) at the same time may make a complete cure. ABS systems don't like moisture.

Beware OE parts are very pricey for a car of its age. Very good pattern parts are much cheaper.. see ebay.

Edited by madf on 20/10/2013 at 21:01