Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - Eli

My 20 year old daughter recently joined a gym. Two weeks afer her first visit she received notification from her insurance company that she was being accused of damaging a vehicle in the gym's carpart. The accuser said they have photos. of both cars and that they had tried to find the owner of my daughters micra in the gym but had not been successful.

My daughter was bemused and said that she had not had any such accident. Yesterday she received from her Insurance company a few photos. these showed her car parked in the bay next but one (a clear car parking space between the cars) to a polo with damage to its rear right wheel arch. They also showed close up damage on the polo which went clearly up and over the wheel arch with maybe a hint of some blue in the scuffing. they also showed a picture of her front right bumper by her lower wheel with a graze on it passing straight across onto the wheel trim. On examining her car there was indeed this small mark which she had not noticed. The scuff on her lower wheel surround which continues on her ttrim edge show her car had to be stationery when received as the chances of the wheel coming to rest exactly in the same lscuff line would be hihgly unlikely. The much higher marks on the complainents could only have been made by her car in the main iif she had been levitating.

She had told the insurance company that if she had caused any damage to another car she would leave a note and had she been a more devious person would certainly not have left the car so close to the scene of the accident. But she continues to insist she absolutely knows nothing about any incident.

It is patently obvious from the pictures that both cars have degrees of damage, but it is patently obvious that the damage on my daughters car does not relate to the extent of the damage on the other vehicle.

To us it appears that a third party, using the very tight parking spaces must have hit both of the vehicles first one and then grazed my daughters whilst in a panic at disengaging from the first impact. It would be laughable if it weren't causing my daughter such distress at being bombarded by her insurance company trying to get her to agree that the paint smear of blue on the claimants car appears to be a blue hue similar to her own.

She is a careful and considerate driver and stands to have her, already high, premiums bumped up for no other reason that to have parked innocently in a bay not even next to the accuser. any advice as how to proceed. Thank you.

Forgot to the say, the insurance company are pressing her to accept liability even inspite of these ridiculous photographs.

Can they make her take the blame or should they be prepared to defend the case and get assessors in.

Suggestions welcome.

Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - daveyjp
I'd be going down the lines of reporting it as a fraudulent claim.
Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - auctioneer

i would flatly refuse to accept responsibility, if the photographs show 2 cars with damage, thats all they show, unless they have photgraphs of your car hitting it or eye witness accounts. they cannot hold you responsible. hold firm and tell them you will not under any circumstances accept responsibility !

Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - dieselnut

Is there any CCTV coverage of the car park?

unfortunately not. We have checked. So far we have written to insurers and to the top dog separately. They are ringiing my daughter again tonight probably to try to get her to admit that she did caused this damage. She can read the letter to them and tell them that anything else needs to be in writing. We will then have a written and traceable history of communication. It all would be laughable if it wasn't stressing her out so much.

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind looking at the photographs could even hope to believe that the two cars had any sort of impact with each other.

Thanks for your advice. We will keep legal action for fraudulent claim up our sleeves and only pull it out if they decide to make my girl the scapegoat here.

I wish her insurance company were work on her behalf as much as the 'injured' party's insurance company were.

Thanks for comments.

unfortunately not. We have checked. So far we have written to insurers and to the top dog separately. They are ringiing my daughter again tonight probably to try to get her to admit that she did caused this damage. She can read the letter to them and tell them that anything else needs to be in writing. We will then have a written and traceable history of communication. It all would be laughable if it wasn't stressing her out so much.

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind looking at the photographs could even hope to believe that the two cars had any sort of impact with each other.

Thanks for your advice. We will keep legal action for fraudulent claim up our sleeves and only pull it out if they decide to make my girl the scapegoat here.

I wish her insurance company were work on her behalf as much as the 'injured' party's insurance company were.

Thanks for comments.

The firm but disappointed letter about their bullying behaviour and then listing the facts as they are and take on this fraudulent claim along with a clear reference about the copy to the top brass in Claims Department has brought a creeping accommodating attitude. They are getting an independant damage assessor to view both cars a.s.a.p. We obviously welcome that move so all may be well in the end.

Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - Skezza

Good luck. Hope all is resolved and there's a positive outcome.

Too many fraudulent and dodgy claims around, yet when it's your own car that's hit on a supermarket car park, there's never any phantom witnesses there to help.

T

Edited by Eli on 26/10/2013 at 16:52

Well its taken nearly two years since all this started but we have won. The ombudsman's dept. Ruled in our favour 6 months ago but it was rejected by DIamond part of Admiral with what we perceived as a frankly insulting letter to the ombudsman's assistant. 6 months on it was ruled on by the actual ombudsman who found for us, primarily because the insurance company had failed to investigate properly. They have had to provide my daughter with proof of no claims and compensation for higher premiums she has incurred because of their hung ho attitude. Oh, it transpired that both parties were insured by DIamond. Maybe this had some bearing on their awful attitude. The ombudsman said she should have asked for compensation for stress! my daughter only asked for the bare minimum and needless to say they have settled it quickly. If two years almost is quickly. So thank you for your encouragement and it is worth fighting the big boys If you have right on your side. Very gratified.

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 14/06/2015 at 21:56

Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - FP

It's good to hear the news and good that you got back to us. What a pity the ordinary motorist/insurance customer has to go through this sort of stuff.

Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - borasport20

I'm glad to hear it's sorted in your favour, but it does stink, doesn't it ?

There's an insurance company I'll avoid in the future

We were going to go to the wire with this. We had to provide clear and comprehensive evidence which took about 15 hours altogether but ultimately the insurance company were their own worst enemy. Brilliant result. Justice is done and my daughter has still got her well deserved clean slate. Thanks.

Nissan Micra - A mistaken insurance claim against my daughter - gordonbennet

Well done Eli, congrats to both of you.

The name of the insurer has come up on various forums and not for praise, another name added to the list of companies to avoid, i shall also avoid the parent company mentioned.

They are a law unto themselves, all of them have no trouble taking your money, that's the one consistent.