Peugeot 206 SW - 2.0 hdi, Changing the Power Steering Pump - Robbied196

Hi Everyone,

I have been a user on here before but can't find my old account.

I'm after a bit if advice on a 206 power steering pump on a 2.0 hdi. Although I've had no adverse affects on the steering I'm fairly convinced the pump is knackered. After a cold start I often get smoking from around the pump area along with a burning rubber, hot steering fluid smell. Its usually worse when the weather is damp or wet.

I had a new water pump, timing and auxiliary belts fitted about a year ago, but I think the steering pump is binding and causing auxiliary belt to slip on the pump pulley. I get a little belt screech from a cold start in the mornings.

The main question is, assuming I'm right about the pump, what is involved in swapping the pump? What sort of length time job is it and will I need any special tools? I've seen a low milage second hand pump and its going to be a lot cheaper to do it myself.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Robbied196 on 16/10/2013 at 13:18

Peugeot 206 SW - 2.0 hdi, Changing the Power Steering Pump - elekie&a/c doctor

Not convinced this a pump fault.I think i would be looking at the belt drive system including guide pulleys and tensioner.

Peugeot 206 SW - 2.0 hdi, Changing the Power Steering Pump - Robbied196

Thanks for your message. To cut a long story short the car went in about a year ago because of a screeching auxiliary belt. I was told the belt was worn and needed replacing. At the same time the mileage was approaching time for a timing belt change so I had it all done along with new water pump.

After a few days I started having the screeching belt problem again. I took it back and was told it needed a new tensioner so that was replaced. I'm using a process of elimination by concluding its the steering pump because everything has been changed.

I need to have a closer look but the smoke definitely comes from around the pump.

Peugeot 206 SW - 2.0 hdi, Changing the Power Steering Pump - sprutts

206 1st try adjusing drive belt then c if it stopsthe smoking &the noise then look to c if th belts rubbing on anything,also ckeckif all brackets etc r tightened good look.