Vauxhall insignia - DPF - Mr Fox

Just organised a Test Drive in an Insignia, for a laugh ...

Look whats written on the confirmation:

*** Diesel Vehicles Only ***

I am aware that a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is fitted to this vehicle, and agree to take the following actions.
I understand that if the vehicle is used for numerous low mileage journeys with frequent stop/starts, the DPF may need to be regenerated. If regeneration is required, a warning light will appear on the dashboard indicating that the vehicle needs to continue to be driven, at a higher RPM, to allow the regeneration to occur and I agree to comply with this requirement. I also understand that failure to take note of the warning lamp and follow the advice may result in non-warrantable damage to the vehicle and I will be personally responsible for paying for any resulting repairs required.

More details can be found in the owner’s manual.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - skidpan

Respect to the dealer. At least he is making the customer aware of potential issues.

The bit about failure to take note of the warning lamp and follow the advice made me smile. Does that mean that people take no notice of waring lights, I cannot believe it.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - craig-pd130

Haha, that's brilliant. How long is the test drive, out of curiosity?

"I know I was only supposed to have the car for an hour, but the DPF warning light came on so I had to take it for an extra hour's drive up the motorway ..."

Its a 3 day test drive they offer.

But even so its quite telling that this is made so clear when using their demonstrator, but for joe public who buys one, nothing is said

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - John Boy

... but for joe public who buys one, nothing is said

How do you know? As you keep indicating to us, you're a man of means, not Joe Public.

Perhaps if Mr Fox told us the whole story to begin with we would have a better idea about what the disclaimer was for.

But as usual you only read what the OP wants you to read and the rest comes later.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - brum

Its quite clear to me Skidpan, just as the form they want me to sign when I pick up a courtesy car, with "£1000 excess" in very small print.

Its quite clear to me Skidpan, just as the form they want me to sign when I pick up a courtesy car, with "£1000 excess" in very small print.

So you could tell from the OP's first post it was for a 3 day test drive. You must be a mind reader, and a good one at that.

And what the hell has £1000 insurance exces got to do with the OP's post.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - brum

There is no mind to read here. If you can't understand the point of the OP, just say so and dont accuse him of hiding details.

Any test drive, courtesy car etc comes with conditions attached - if you damage it while in your possesion, you are responsible - but then you knew that didnt you?

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - xtrailman

Last courtesy car i had made NO reference to the DPF.

Only fuel level and body damage.

Edited by xtrailman on 03/10/2014 at 08:59

... but for joe public who buys one, nothing is said

How do you know? As you keep indicating to us, you're a man of means, not Joe Public.

Sorry Old Chap, wot wot !

I should have written " the everyday consumer in search of a motor vehicle" Its just a throwaway expression meant to indicate the average person.

I shall go back to my ruminations.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - Mr Fox

What do people think of these Insignii ?

I think its quite awful, apart from the ride which is very compliant, the auto gearbox is so slushy and dim witted, the steering is dead, the driving position is wierd, there's hardly any room in it, especially in the back.

The sat nav and media interface is utterly random. it doesnt even have digital radio which the outgoing model did, and the touch pad mouse in between the seats is the most dangerous distracting thing I have ever used.

I personally would never want one - perhaps Vauxhall should give up

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - gordonbennet

Like the Mondeo a bloated barge, far too big and cumbersome, too many blind spots especially at the rear and the door mirrors are such silly little things no better than a make up mirror.

These are supposed to be family cars, yet even Diesels sit on 19" wheels in some cases shod with tyres that cost more for one that a set of 4 for more sensible sizes.

They are rental fodder and repmobiles, fine for motorway running but far too big for 90% of us, the turning circle of a supertanker, stuffed with electronics that will go wrong starting with the work of satan that is the electric parking brake.

Mainly though they are so boringly identical, cloned cars for cloned people.

:-)))

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - Mr Fox

Like the Mondeo a bloated barge, far too big and cumbersome, too many blind spots especially at the rear and the door mirrors are such silly little things no better than a make up mirror.

These are supposed to be family cars, yet even Diesels sit on 19" wheels in some cases shod with tyres that cost more for one that a set of 4 for more sensible sizes.

They are rental fodder and repmobiles, fine for motorway running but far too big for 90% of us, the turning circle of a supertanker, stuffed with electronics that will go wrong starting with the work of satan that is the electric parking brake.

Mainly though they are so boringly identical, cloned cars for cloned people.

:-)))

Yes I gould go on and on about the horrendous visibility, the stupid door mirrors and the tiny boot space ( its an estate car )

Mondeo in My opinion is much more spacious inside and is a better drive. Some people do need a large car for various reasons, whereas the Insignia is a small car in a large body. Pointless.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - RT
a bloated barge, far too big and cumbersome,

And yet interior space is poor, way less than it's Vectra-C predecessor and barely bigger internally than an Astra.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - gordonbennet
And yet interior space is poor, way less than it's Vectra-C predecessor and barely bigger internally than an Astra.

Its not alone in that, my last years on the transporters were spent trying to fit these increasingly large and heavy cars on, in many cases the reverse Tardis effect, each new model vastly bigger than the one it replaced yet smaller inside, massive mirror casings housing silly little mirrors about as much use as chocolate teapot.

I've fallen out big time with the latest cars with few exceptions.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - 2.0Tsi
What I normally find as a very regular rental car user with no choice as to what gets dropped off at the office on a Monday is as follows.

The Insignia is better built and more solid than I thought.
It's heavy and the 160Bhp diesel isn't enough.
I like the cabin and the quality tbh.
It handles very well, not a patch on my own Vrs though :)

The Mondeo, is more poorly built, thinner steel poorer quality.
Better engine the 2.2 in Particular is good.
Interior is just lower rent, 3 years it will look poor and be done.
Handles well, but not as much as the 'magazines' profess, marketing ?

Both cars are bland looking and need the sportier versions to make them interesting. However if I was going to buy one then it would be the insignia, I simply reckon that car is better built imo.

I unlike some don't follow the drivel regurgitated in magazines for my opinion though, I even had a Mazda 6 2.0D Sport which is not highly thought of on here but was faultless for 65k and had an excellent residual !
Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - daveyK_UK

The latest Mondeo is a far better beast than the current Insignia.

The Insignia is horific in the back for space; I didnt think I could find a big hatchback worse for rear leg room than the 407/c5 but the Insignia manages to have no space at all and very limited headroom.

No wonder this weeks autoexpress was advertising the fact you can pick up a year old Insignia for £8,200.

But while the price is tempting, give it 2 years until the waranty runs out and you will have an absolute pig on your hands, much like the Vectra C.

Vauxhall really dont get it, everything breaks or needs replacing.

Check out the Insignia forums if you have a spare hour or 10.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 21/10/2013 at 01:41

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - jetskimatty

I don't know what sort of Insignia you've been driving, but me and my other half love ours.

We have a 12plate sri cdti 160 Nav sports tourer.

Since day one, we have loved it, the only thing we don't like is the lack of leg room in the back for the kids.

The 160 engine has oodles of power, and is very quick off the mark.

I've driven loads of different cars since 17yrs old and this has to be the best yet. I drive an artic for a living too.

I can happily drive our siggy for a whole day without feeling i want to get out, our vectra we had before wasn't as nice.

I don't know why people slate these insignia's, they handle really boldly and sit there no matter how you throw her around corners, loads of torque, good on fuel, great looking car too. Also loads of toys and electrics etc.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - daveyjp
If a car that size has no rear legroom surely it fails test one of being a family car?

the rear leg room and headroom is appauling for the size of car.

When one of our pool car nissan note's went in for a major service, we where given an insignia.

When the staff complained to me about sore backs, no leg room or headroom travelling to a meeting 1 hour away in the insignia, i couldnt believe it.

I had to give it a tray and it was dreadful.

We regulary get 2x 6 footers comfortably in the back of a nissan note with lots of room to spread out - when you compare the space in the back of the insignia to the mondeo, im suprised anyone who intends to carry passengers and wants a big hatchback, chooses a Insignia.

Your insignia is only a 12 plate, give it a few more months and the thing will be falling to bits.

Dont take my word for it, check out the vauxhall forums.

The Insignia is no different to the Vectra C, a car designed using cheap as possible components combined with some poor mechanical design.

I drove a diesel 1.9 120 insignia and it drove well, the Vectra C also drove well. But diriving well is only one consideration when buying a car, having something with longevity is high in my list of priorities.

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - xtrailman

Doesnt that depend on the size of the family?

a bloated barge, far too big and cumbersome,

General Motors are not the only ones to make this mistake.

Ford have done the same with the current ford focus.

Its hardly any bigger in the back than a Fiesta, alot small and more cramped than the previous generations of Focus.

Cant understand how ford could get a family car so wrong in tems of interior space? Do they not think people carry around passengers?

I typed into google 'vauhall insignia common faults'.

Without going onto the vauxhall owners forums which have page after page of Insignia faults, here is just one link which gives you an idea of what you can expect from owning an Insignia

www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?11757-Vauxhall-...s

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - daveyjp
I think manufacturers now produce MPVs for families, traditional family cars are now the preserve of the rep who has a large car to show he has made it to management, but only ever carries his suit jacket in the back!

BMW now have an MPV and Audi aren't far behind, both appreciating they are losing out on market share.

Edited by daveyjp on 02/10/2014 at 21:48

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - akr
Insignia common faults?
Try checking out the owner forums of Golfs, Passats, Fords with the 1.6 diesel, 2.0 BMW diesels etc. etc. - all riddled with faults.
An age old argument on here - either buy Far Eastern product or accept your car will go wrong!!!
Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - xtrailman

Thats the biggest load of tripe i've ever read.

The car is good at whats its designed for trolling up and down motorways..

I use to read similar crap about Vauxhall's when i ran a Cavalier, it was a fine car and good at towing, but came with a poor paint finish.

I've had two vauxhalls both were 100% reliable over the 8 years i drove them. Although i don't think the new cars are so much going on my sons experience.

Edited by xtrailman on 03/10/2014 at 09:12

Vauxhall insignia - DPF - 3 day test drive impressions - Ed V

There does appear to be some conflicting thoughts here.

For what use did Vauxhall intend the Insignia? If it was mainly reps on motorways, rear leg room is the last thing to worry the drivers. Since reps quite happily managed with much smaller cars in the past, we know it's not internal space that is needed.

External dimensions however are important to a certain type of driver. A long wheelbase and width also is likely to improve driving dynamics, which the target-drivers appreciate.

For many firms, they self-evidently enable economical motoring and happy staff. None of us is unsure what an Insignia looks like!

I suspect we are all too subjective in our views of other peoples' cars!