Audi A2 2002 - Engine management system warning light - HIREC

The engine management system warning light is showing with increased frequency (but not permanently). Occasionally the EPC light also comes on witn the EMS light (but not all the time). My local Audi garage has tried to trace the cause but with no success. I realise that it is an MOT failure, but the car runs perfectly. Any ideas?

Audi A2 2002 - Engine management system warning light - elekie&a/c doctor
If the eml and epc lights are showing,then some fault must be held in the engine control unit memory.are any diagnostic trouble codes stored?secondly ,these lights when illuminated are not an mot failure.hth
Audi A2 2002 - Engine management system warning light - HIREC

Thanks for that. I was told by my local Audi garage that the memory had been cleared but I will go back to them and re-confirm. Also my local MOT station advised me that any warning light showing during an MOT would constitute a failure since new rules were introduced on 01 January 2013 (prior to that it was only lsited a 'advisory'). This needs clarifying.

Audi A2 2002 - Engine management system warning light - elekie&a/c doctor

I think your mot station needs to do some revision.The engine mil light on is not a failure.Other mil lights related to airbag,abs,esp and electronic steering are part of the test and need to function correctly.Don't forget ,the mot test checks only the operation of the warning lights,not the functionality of the system.hth