Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - peter973

My brakes have been behaving strangely, giving strange stuttering type braking & noise.

Now the ABS light is occasionally coming on.

Whe it comes on, the braking problem has disappeared.

How can I disable ABS Anti-Lock Brake System ?

Can I just unplug the plug to the ABS ECU in the engine bay ?

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - skidpan

If you disable your ABS it will possibly fail the MOT plus you will definitely need to tell your insurers.Why not just get it fixed.

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - elekie&a/c doctor

It is possible to disable the abs system by disconnecting the plug at the abs controller.,however this will bring the light on permanently.From the description of your problem ,I would say you have a sensor or hub pick-up ring fault.As this is one of the last model Cavaliers,it is possible to do a self-test diagnosis from the diagnostic plug in the engine bay.

It is possible to disable the abs system by disconnecting the plug at the abs controller.,however this will bring the light on permanently.From the description of your problem ,I would say you have a sensor or hub pick-up ring fault.As this is one of the last model Cavaliers,it is possible to do a self-test diagnosis from the diagnostic plug in the engine bay.

How do I do a Self-Test ??

ABS warning light only comes on only occasionally.

But I think ECU holds history of faults, so hopefully should have fault when warning light has come on.

Thanks

If you disable your ABS it will possibly fail the MOT plus you will definitely need to tell your insurers.Why not just get it fixed.

Yes, will need to get fixed, not sure if ABS is included in MOT.

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - The-Mechanic

How can I disable ABS Anti-Lock Brake System ?

Can I just unplug the plug to the ABS ECU in the engine bay ?

Don't, just don't !!!!

Get it looked at and fixed properly. It's brakes for god's sake, don't mess about with them.

For one thing, it's definitely an MOT failure if the ABS light is illuminated when the engine is running, and trying to be "clever" and removing the bulb will still fail as the light needs to illuminate when the ignition is switched on (called bulb check) and go off after a few seconds, or after 5 - 10 MPH (depending on type) that indicates the system is OK.

What happens if you cause, or just be involved in an accident and you have disabled your ABS ? For sure your insurance will be void, and the police will take a greater interest, but what if you seriously injure or god forbid, kill someone ?

The car was designed with ABS and while the brakes will still work (as in stopping the car), you won't have the ability of the enhanced control ABS gives you when you need it.

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - BenG

Maybe just try cleaning the wheel sensors (they can pick up rust & other metallic debris) and the trigger rings (segmented rings) on each wheel? If a sensor is faulty I don't imagine it would cost much to replace and would be an easy DIY job.

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - RT

I think the Cavalier was the last with ABS sensor rings that could be replaced separately - subsequent Vauxhalls seem to have the ABS ring integral with the front hubs, bearings and all !

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - Cyd

I agree with Elekie, it sounds like a sensor issue. Rover 800s used to do a very similar thing as the sensors corroded.

If you disable your ABS:

# you will fail your next MoT
# you will be driving a non roadworthy car
# you could be prosecuted for the above
# your insurance will be invalid

no matter how carefully you drive, there is always some idiot waiting to pull out on you somewhere. Doing as you suggest might cost you your life.

I agree with Elekie, it sounds like a sensor issue. Rover 800s used to do a very similar thing as the sensors corroded.

If you disable your ABS:

# you will fail your next MoT
# you will be driving a non roadworthy car
# you could be prosecuted for the above
# your insurance will be invalid

no matter how carefully you drive, there is always some idiot waiting to pull out on you somewhere. Doing as you suggest might cost you your life.

Lack of ABS doesn't make the car unroadworthy - there's plenty of Cavaliers around that never had ABS.

I agree with the others though.

Vauxhall Cavalier 1995 2.0 CDX - ABS -how can I disable ? - Cyd

Yes it does. Any safety related MoT failure renders a car unroadworthy. The car could be instantly impounded in a VOSA roadside check (we have these regularly round here pulling over all sorts of vehicles).

Or are you telling me that VOSA officers have been lying to me? And if so, why would they do that?

MoT failure isn't the same as "red ticketed" as used to be - an MoT failure can still be driven home, indeed driven around for a month if the test was being taken early.

MoT failure doesn't automatically make a car unroadworthy or unsafe - if it did, no MoT failure would ever be allowed to drive away from the testing station.