A day of car winterisation geekery - mss1tw

I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I had the Berlingo up on ramps today giving as much of the exposed underside/components as possible a good dosing of ACF 50.

Won't be long before the salt starts to go down, and the MOT is due in November so it should make any remedial work easier as the nuts and bolts should be penetrated by then...

A day of car winterisation geekery - gordonbennet

You are not alone, emptied half a dozen cans of Hammerite underseal with Waxoyl over the underbody and suspensions of the Outlander last week, thats all ready for winter now, fully serviced had one of my brake full services earlier in the year...no not the usual garage idea of a brake service comprising of peering through the wheel and squirting brake cleaner in the general direction, a proper strip clean lube reassemble and bleed.

The lad and myself fully serviced his '07 Volvo S60 yesterday, that also needed mucho brake work as it had FSH and the brakes as expected hadn't been touched, so bad that the parking brake shoe friction material one side had parted company and was floating round in the drum.

In fact its getting to be rare that i see a used car with fully operational and properly serviced brakes...except when my venerable old school MB indy services mine, he Does do the job right.

How do these garages get away with it, how non mechanically minded can people be that they can't tell when something is wrong, can't see how filthy the brake fluid is?

Looking forward to getting me old MB back from my bodyshop chap, thats had some body touching up and remedial underbody work to keep her nice, itching to get it fully rustproofed before the winter salt goes down...hopefully i'll get another 10 years good service from her.

There's a few of us still look after our cars and intend to keep them (thereby avoiding the latest must have clone cars for as long as possible), might be dwindling numbers though.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/10/2013 at 18:03