2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - jaguargdidg

The battery on my husband's 2009 X-type jaguar 2.0D has no charge. It was last driven in mid December (when my husband had his first stroke) apart from a 5 mile trip in March this year to get its MOT. I then disconnected the negative terminal. I think I'm trickle charging it but how do I tell when its charged please? My husband, who was a car enthusiast sadly died in April and I have no-one to help me now and I'm loathe to be the helpless female who calls in the garage for something that I feel I should be able to tackle myself.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - Cyd

If it's been flat a while, chances are you'll need a new one.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - jaguargdidg

Thank you for coming back so quickly. I suppose I did wonder if that might be the problem. As its not really showing any change in charge on the battery charger after 6 hours, does that definitely confirm that I will have to buy a new battery?

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - Avant

So sorry to hear about your husband. I agree, a new battery is almost certainly what you need, as the old one will have been damaged by being flat, as Cyd says. There are various things like the immobiliser which continue to use a small amount of current even when a car is idle, and over time these will flatten the battery.

If you want to keep the Jaguar but have something else you prefer to drive every day, take it out once a week for at least 20 miles - and enjoy it!

Edited by Avant on 13/09/2013 at 23:07

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - MrDanno

The OP said she had disconnected the battery in March so it might be ok. The only thing is, We have no idea what the charger is that she is using.

With a decent charger it is probably going to recover.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - bathtub tom

Sympathies,but respect for DIY!

Have you connected the charger properly?

I'd leave it overnight at least before giving up.

What does the charger show in lights/display?

I'm sure someone here would be more than willing to help if you'd give a location (we're not all pervs).

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - SteveLee

By disconnecting the battery and the fact that it hasn't been freezing the battery should have survived. It might take a good 24 hours with a trickle charger to get any meaningful charge into it. Modern "smart" chargers often will not charge batteries with less than 8 volts in them, the way round this is to jump the battery from another one and charge them both in parallel. Preferably the charged battery should have a smaller capacity than the flat one to avoid putting too much current into the flat battery. Motorcycle batterys or those little jump starter packs are great for this type of use.

Edited by SteveLee on 14/09/2013 at 11:14

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - Cyd

A good battery, well charged and left disconnected in dry, non freezing conditions will last for years.

This one was disconnected and left in warm conditions for just a few months and is now flat. And the OP suggests it appears not to be charging. These factors suggest it's had it.

OP, many places will test your battery for you. But, a new battery is likely to be around £60 to £80. Is it worth the bother trying to resurect it? And it could just end up dying during the next winter anyway (and Sod says it'll happen away from home).

Put a new one on and if you use the car very little keep it connected to a battery conditioner when not in use.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - brum

The OP disconnected the negative terminal in March after driving the car to/back from an MOT and was a very sensible thing to do.

Now the OP doesnt know if her battery charger is in fact charging - no surprise there - most battery chargers are useless bits of cheap tat that break or stop working within weeks and/or dont inform any unqualified person anything about what they're doing/not doing. And as pointed out a lot of chargers are so poorly designed they will refuse to charge a flat battery

I suggest the OP reconnect the battery and try starting the car. If it struggles to turn the car over, the next step is to seek someone with jumper leads for a "jump start".

Remember the car may take a fair amount of turning over to start as its been stood a long time and the fuel system may need priming.

If the battery cant turn the engine over at all, then the OP should seek assistance from someone who is more technically skilled - if the car driver was in the AA/RAC or had other breakdown cover then maybe that membership is still valid and she can call them.

Edited by brum on 14/09/2013 at 18:53

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - Falkirk Bairn

Ask a neighbour or friend who owns an "old fashioned charger" to connect it for a rimw, say overnight. Then tryto start the following morning.

Fancy electronic trickle chargers may not like a really flat battery

Thank you all for your advice. The charger is labelled Sealey Power Product "Charger 10" EN60335-2-21. It is a 6/12v charger. I put the battery back on charge this morning and after 3 more hours (making 9 hours in total) the dial showed a drop from just under 3 amps to ~2 amps so I guess something is working? I turned the charger off after the three hours as I didn't want to risk 'cooking' the battery because I seem to recall that was a possiblity? In view of the comments about charging it for up to 24 hours I charged it for another 2 hours this afternoon before turning it off again. When I switched it back on this evening to check, the reading was ~1.5 amps. I turned it off once again as I don't know what reading I should be aiming for now. The next thing seems to be to reconnect the battery and try to start it. If it should start, I'll take it for a a run of 20+ miles. Thank you again and I'll let you know what happens.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - MrDanno

The battery should be about 80Ah rating so charging at ~3Amps you'll need to charge it for about 24 hours to get is somewhere near to fully charged.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - Chris M

So is this the charger?

www.sealey.co.uk/pdfs/instructions/AUTOCHARGE10.pdf

If it is, I'd connect it first thing in the morning and leave it on all day. If the car is in a garage, leave the bonnet open and the door open to allow ventilation. Later in the afternoon, reconnect the battery and see if it will start. If it does, and it's taxed and insured, take it for a good run, say 30 miles, which will ensure the battery is fully charged and it will be good for the car. Make sure the climate is on as well. When you get back, leave the car for a week. If it starts the battery is OK, if not, time for a new battery.

2.0D Jaguar X-type Estate - Battery Charging for unused X-type Diesel - SteveLee

There's no chance of cooking the battery with that little charger - leave it on for 24 hours.