Scoop Road Test: Smart Roadster - Dan J
Well done for getting this up so quick HJ.

I read the article with interest but can't help but think that MCC have missed what could've been a superb opportunity with this car.

It's extremely pretty and will be one of the cars that defines the new generation of small sports cars. However they have overpriced it IMHO. Given the choice between this and Ford's well marketed Streetka I'd have no hesitation where I'd send my money. I had expected the Roadster to undercut the Streetka by a grand or two to maintain competetiveness but dearer? It also has the larger engine and increased loadspace on the Ford to compete with. No competition.

Also who in their right mind would want one of these in bottom spec 60bhp format? You'll get the set of people who love to jump on this bandwagon much as they did screaming to get their hands on LHD Beetles but a driver's car this ain't.

I had been really excited about this car and thought it might well appear on my "to investigate" list for when I replace my Vectra next year but after reading your article I very much doubt it.

I see it as a "hairdressers" car and one that will not be taken seriously - if they'd have thought this through more carefully, I think it would've made a much bigger impact than it will do. 14.5k for the RHD roadster? I'll save 6 grand more and look at the RX8 thanks very much!!

Still, am always ready to be proved wrong :)
Scoop Road Test: Smart Roadster - Martin Wall
Indeed - the WhatCar? website lists what 'great value' the car is - what planet are these guys on?!!