Tyres - great aren't they. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I live at the top of a steep hill. It's ocvered in ice today.

There was no way I was going to attempt it without a reccie.

So off I toddled. Problem was I physically couldn't stand on the hill. Too slippery.

However I watched a car try it and it managed at 1mph in first so I went off to fetch the car.

In the event driving down the hill was a doddle. Loads of grip.

My shoes cost at least 3 times the price of a tyre. Why don't they make shoes out of tyre?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Tyres - great aren't they. - smokie
"My shoes cost at least 3 times the price of a tyre. Why don't they make shoes out of tyre?"

There's a joke there somewhere about inflation, but I can't see it
Tyres - great aren't they. - RichardW
I believe in India or somwhere there are people that make sandals out of old tyres. However, since you do not (I assume) weigh 500kg, Toad, you will find the grip is limited compared to the car which has the same 'foot'print of rubber (no pun intended!).

I am always amazed at the grip available on car tyres when trying to walk on the snow / ice I've just driven over easily!

Richard
Tyres and grip. - M.M
Had a report SWMBO reached work (15mls) with no difficulty in her well shod FWD car. Just been out along part of the same route in the old LR to feed the animals.

In 2WD it was almost undriveable...of course once in 4WD you're king of the road.

But in 2WD, effectively a RWD, with no load in the back it was completely useless.

And why can kids run and slide all the way to school without difficulty on pavements where the adults can hardly stand upright...what's that about? Have they all got shoes made from tyres then?

MM
Tyres and grip. - No Do$h
And why can kids run and slide all the way to
school without difficulty on pavements where the adults can hardly stand
upright...what's that about? Have they all got shoes made from tyres
then?

They haven't discovered fear yet.
No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Tyres and grip. - Baskerville
Kids don't break so easily either, and when they do break they mend quicker.

The ex-racing driver Alex Zanardi was on R4 yesterday morning. He lost his legs in a crash a few years back and is now working on improving prosthetic leg technology, in particular grip levels for artificial feet. Apparently with false legs it's very difficult to walk on wet grass because if the feet slip slightly the knee joints don't lock properly. So Toad, the shoe technology might be on its way.

Chris
Tyres and grip. - Humpy
Didn't he lose an arm as well in a helcopter crash, splinter of rotor blade took it off? Apparently they managed to reattach it though!
Tyres and grip. - Rojer
Kids don't have as far to fall ... or as much!

rojer@lycos.co.uk
Astra, Renault 18, Renault 25 TXi, Astra Est, Passat Est, Mercedes 190E, Mercedes
Tyres - great aren't they. - BrianW
"There's a joke there somewhere about inflation, but I can't see it"

Well don't let things get blown up out of proportion.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Tyres - great aren't they. - Jonathan {p}
Get a grip lads!
Tyres - great aren't they. - svpworld
"There's a joke there somewhere about inflation, but I can't see
it"
Well don't let things get blown up out of proportion.
Brian
Still learning (I hope)

I am getting tyred of this, these jokes are always a let down unless you tread carefully...

Well I am getting to grips with this slowly!

Simon

>> "There's a joke there somewhere about inflation, but I can't
see
>> it"
>>
>> Well don't let things get blown up out of proportion.
>>
>> Brian
>> Still learning (I hope)
>>
I am getting tyred of this, these jokes are always a
let down unless you tread carefully...
Well I am getting to grips with this slowly!

Can't believe this thread has lasted without a suggestion we should try pumps. Are the backroom jokers becoming slipshod!
It'll never last!
Tyres - great aren't they. - Flat in Fifth
Toad,

buy ECCO shoes, made in Denmark of proper cold weather materials and in some models you even get little spikes of harder material.

bit more expensive but well worth it.

Tyres - great aren't they. - Dwight Van Driver
And here is me thinking Toad with webbed feet you could climb up walls.

Ah well, wrong again...

DVD
Tyres - great aren't they. - blank
LOL!

I find that Versace loafers are not the most practical foot attire for snow and ice.

Try a pair of walking boots!

Have a good weekend!
Andy
Tyres - great aren't they. - Shigg
I shouldn't laugh but I find it hard not to when I see/read/hear of some 4x4 poseur that's piled up their 'jeep' because they can't get their heads around the fact that although 4x4s have twice as much grip for putting down the power, all cars have brakes on all 4 wheels ...

I know it sounds heartless but I'm sure you'll know to which drivers I'm refering. My ex boss's brother went out playing in the snow in his new RR Vogue a few years ago, he found out big trees are much stronger than his toy.

Steve.
Tyres - great aren't they. - patpending
a couple of points:

1) ecco shoes: if these are like tyres then in my experience they are like poor quality retreads. I love their design but they are not designed for daily use. this is a £85 shoe we are talking here. if my experience is any guide, then - reluctantly - I would advise don't!

I bought a big supply of British Doc Martens instead (but they have now sadly been discontinued) (any offers?)

the Rohde shoe company sell excellent winter shoes.

2) Alex Zanardi: what a man. when I saw him stand on his artificial legs I found that hugely encouraging for humanity. reminds many of us how trifling our problems are.

pat
Tyres - great aren't they. - Flat in Fifth
a couple of points:
1) ecco shoes: if these are like tyres then in
my experience they are like poor quality retreads. I love
their design but they are not designed for daily use.
this is a £85 shoe we are talking here. if
my experience is any guide, then - reluctantly - I would
advise don't!

ah yes I forgot we are talking UK prices. Totally don't agree about the quality comment tho'
Tyres - great aren't they. - patpending
hi flat, I must say I loved my ecco shoes before the soles split (on three different pairs at which point I gave up). I noticed the first had been made in Denmark but the last two in Slovakia, perhaps it depends on the factory....

wishing you many miles of trouble-free walking

pat
Tyres - great aren't they. - wemyss
Agree with you FIF. ecco are brilliant in everything they do and myself and the wife have some donkeys years old and still look like new.
I do a lot of walking and use ecco boots. Mind I always buy in Cyprus where they are about a third less in price.
And the service.. A few years ago had a fault on one and e-mailed ecco. Arrangements were made and on my next visit the Manager travelled from Nicosia to Limassol to visit me at my hotel with replacement and apologies. And even rang me at home to ensure everything was OK. They have a web site showing how every pair is made from the same matching piece of leather. Got to give them top marks.
Tyres - great aren't they. - HF
2) Alex Zanardi: what a man. when I saw
him stand on his artificial legs I found that hugely encouraging
for humanity. reminds many of us how trifling our problems
are.

A very good point, Pat, we all have problems, some more and some less than others, but I think most of us have legs. Humbles me, anyway.
HF
Tyres - great aren't they. - L'escargot
My shoes cost at least 3 times the price of a
tyre.

I'm pondering over which is the more likely ~ do you buy expensive shoes or very cheap tyres ?
Tyres - great aren't they. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
>> My shoes cost at least 3 times the price of
a
>> tyre.
I'm pondering over which is the more likely ~ do you
buy expensive shoes or very cheap tyres ?

Cheap tyres, medium priced shoes!
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Tyres - great aren't they. - Trisha TR
Buy some New Rock footwear - I believe they've got Directional Tyres strapped to the bottom :-). Very heavy, very cool and when you've got momentum you can stop moving your legs cuz these'll continue moving for you... on the downside for a chap of over 6ft they make it nigh on impossible to get behing the wheel!!!
Tyres - great aren't they. - bafta
The forerunner of those treking sandals were thongs made out of old tyres in Australia. The rubber would make your hands quite black if you were mad enough to carry them. No doubt some of our much travelled contributors will remember them. Are they still made?