Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - EdsCX5
Wondering if any Mazda cx5 2.2d owners have the same problem as I have? Diesel in the oil, level seems to rise to the x on the dipstick just over every 3,000miles I have called Mazda UK and they tell me there is no issue with my model and no recall,still awaiting on the manager returning my call, it may take up to 3 days that's customer service for you from Mazda, yet I have paperwork with campaign AD016A replaced dipstick & reprogrammed PSM, unfortunately just over another 3,000miles covered and the oil level is just about touching the x on the new dipstick fitted. Car has now got 7,200miles going in for the second time can anyone give advice?
My advice if you are thinking of buying a Mazda cx5 2.2d with the problems and experience I have had with the car I loved, don't buy one until Mazda comes clean with the problem that's imaginary ?
Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - daveyjp
So the well documented problem with the previous Mazda 6 diesel is now affecting the CX-5. Pumping unused diesel back from the DPF to the sump is a crazy idea, but Mazda can make money out of the extra oil changes so why should they care?

Out of interest what is your typical journey? How many miles a year do you do?

Edited by daveyjp on 05/09/2013 at 23:58

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - EdsCX5
Typical mileage 7miles to my work place on duel carriageway and journeys around town, also travel to the football 300miles round trip, various short and long runs and would cover around 15,000 miles per year, but probably not with this car If I require oil changes every 3,000miles ? I did question the service manager when it was in the garage the first time if it was due to my driving habit and he assured me it wasn't ?as I was going to trade back in for a petrol.
Also forgot to mention the bonnet flap & mirror shake, cut a long story short there was a fix but the bonnet is still not 100% it is better but still flaps and one mirror ok drivers still has a shake, just so frustrating
Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - NARU

www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/maz...1

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - daveyjp
The trip pattern is similar to mine, short hops round town during the week, longer trips at weekends. My X type 2.2 didn't like it so I traded and went back to petrol.

No issues with the sump filling, but the oil service interval was reduced from the recommended 12,000 to 6,000 miles. Short hops were causing DPF regens on a regular basis and this dictates oil change periods. The short hops also caused EGR problems.

I doubt I will go back to diesel.
Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - gordonbennet

www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/maz...1

Well found Marlot, wonder if Mazda GB will recall and fix?

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - MrDanno

The OP seems to indicate that his car has had the recall work undertaken and it is no better.

Vauxhall use a similar regeneration system and they also suffer from increasing oil levels and oil dilution on cars that do short journeys.

The only real cure for diesels like this on short journeys seems to be DPF removal, At least that cures it once and for all. By all accounts it is cheaper than a replacement DPF.

The only real cure for diesels like this on short journeys seems to be DPF removal, At least that cures it once and for all. By all accounts it is cheaper than a replacement DPF.

I've gone the other way and given up on modern Diesels completely after something like 30 years of very good previous Diesel experience, LPG converted petrol engines for the forseeable or possibly Hybird as a viable alternative when LPG gets hammered with tax which it will in due course.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - MrDanno
I've gone the other way and given up on modern Diesels completely after something like 30 years of very good previous Diesel experience, LPG converted petrol engines for the forseeable or possibly Hybird as a viable alternative when LPG gets hammered with tax which it will in due course.

I have the same views myself. What with the extra cost of specifying a diesel engine when purchasing, The increased costs of diesel and then all the associated problems with DPF's etc. It makes petrol engines very appealing again.

The only things I would miss is the fuel economy and torque of a good diesel.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - xtrailman

The short journeys comment is nonsense, even owners who were doing long motorway trips were having the problem, reported on the whirlpool forum.

The ecu reflash addressed the problem with the regen interval being too short.

Also early cars were recalled to have a exhaust sensor changed which was failing due to the exhaust gases attacking the sensors surface, a new design requires fitting, some owners believe this also contributed to the early regens.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2120971&p=9

Edited by xtrailman on 08/09/2013 at 22:20

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - BROADBEAN

LATEST UPDATE ON RISING OIL LEVEL FOR MAZDA CX-5 DIESEL.

Mazda UK paid for my first oil change back in November which was at 7500 miles. I have had all the updates and modifications to dipstick and the sensors/ecu etc. I have produced a spreadsheet to monitor the oil level since November. I can confirm that the level has been rising over the past 4000 miles and having plotted the rise it looks as if the x mark will be reached at 14000 miles with the probable oil pressure light again. I bought the car with the security of knowing it will get serviced annually and not every 4 months. I have forwarded my findings to Mazda UK. I wait with baited breath for their response. (Note that I commute 100miles daily at an average speed of 48mph and am getting 42mpg. This gets better as the fuel dilution gets worse!!!!) Thinner Oil etc

I would read through the posts on this forum, lots of information.

Not many owners are reporting oil rising now, especially on whirlpool forum.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?294-Mazda-CX-5-Forum

I have a 2013 Cx5 so far no oil rise at 1500miles, no mirror shake and no hood shake, sorry bonnet.

My issue is with the phone not always connecting, and the Tomtom Live services not always working, other than that its a fabulous car solo, and tows better than the xtrails i've had.

I purchased my CX 5 in February and it has just covered 7500 of which is 50 mile trips into work. I have had the Mod on the dipstick but have not been informed to regularly check the oil level etc. Today though the Oil pressure warning light has illuminated and it appears that the level is now just touching the X mark. Gathereing from this Forum and all the comments etc and as I am a Diesel Engineer I believe that the oil pressure light has come on due to the oil becoming more viscous due to the added fuel dilution and hence the oil is now not able to supply adequate pressure due to dilution. This now concerns me and I am very temted to write to Watcgdog for them to investigate further or as I am a member of Which Magazine them also. maybe we will get a good answer via these and their intervention.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - jc2

Surely,LESS viscous.

Yes, Sorry Less Viscous. Thanks for the correction.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Ordovices

It appears that this is a repeat of the Mazda 2.0 MZR CD engine. One of the reasons I got shut of my Mazda.

If the oil pressure light has come on then you must consider that the lubrication to the big ends and mains has already been compromised. Bear in mind that it is just a switch, and that the pressure may have been hovering just above the make/break point for some period.

Don't expect any help from Mazda, invest in a Pela pump, keep an eye on the level (weekly at least) and be prepared to fork out for the Dexelia oil.

On the plus side, you'll have loads of old engine oil to use to pre treat fence posts :(

Needless to say, Mazda's reputation is in tatters with me, and I won't be rushing out to buy another.

Needless to say, Mazda's reputation is in tatters with me, and I won't be rushing out to buy another.

Couldn't agree more, hard to believe its the same maker who produced such superb cars as 323 626 Xedos etc....wouldn't touch one with a very long barge pole now.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Collos25

I purchased my CX 5 in February and it has just covered 7500 of which is 50 mile trips into work. I have had the Mod on the dipstick but have not been informed to regularly check the oil level etc. Today though the Oil pressure warning light has illuminated and it appears that the level is now just touching the X mark. Gathereing from this Forum and all the comments etc and as I am a Diesel Engineer I believe that the oil pressure light has come on due to the oil becoming more viscous due to the added fuel dilution and hence the oil is now not able to supply adequate pressure due to dilution. This now concerns me and I am very temted to write to Watcgdog for them to investigate further or as I am a member of Which Magazine them also. maybe we will get a good answer via these and their intervention.

The oil pressure light has come on because there is not enough oil left to create the pressure that is required.If ever a company has shot itself in the foot producing rust buckets with rubbish engines then its Mazda.But surely if as you say you are an engineer in the truest sense than regular checks of the oil level should be second nature.

Edited by Collos25 on 19/11/2013 at 20:01

It appears that the Oil level has risen more quickly in the last two weeks. \\The Oil level with modified X mark on dipstick is just lower than the max, so I do not expect the Oil pressure warning to come on. Something needsto be done with this problem very quickly. The light only came on about half a mile from my hous on the way home from my work , which is 50 miles away. I have only done 7500 miles in it!!

Broadbean, don't mind me asking do you?

I'm no engineer, i'm a lorry driver of sorts and an ex kerbside cowboy with a very limited knowledge of cars.

I would however have researched a car, especially if the car had an infernal device of satan such as this idiotic useless and totally unfit for purpose DPF regen system that Mazda ill fitted and seemingly ignored, and wouldn't have gone within a mile of it.

What made you opt in?

Did not know about it until a month after purchase and was informed that the fix was completed. I love the SUV but very dissappointed with this issue and strongly believe that Mazda pull their finger out and get a proper fix with this.

Fair enough.

Presumably you've read the umpteen pages here about the Mazda 6 same issue debacle...allow a couple of hours to digest.

From the lack of back up help reported in that thread its probably a fair bet that the maker won't be in the slightest bit interested, but i hope that won't be the case.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Avant

Broadbean, as you are likely to do about 10,000 miles a year, seriouisly consider trading your CX-5 in for a petrol version. Someone else can have the oil level worries, and I've heard nothing but good on this forum and elsewhere about petrol-engined Mazdas.

Mazda UK paid for my first oil change back in November which was at 7500 miles. I have had all the updates and modifications to dipstick and the sensors/ecu etc. I have produced a spreadsheet to monitor the oil level since November. I can confirm that the level has been rising over the past 4000 miles and having plotted the rise it looks as if the x mark will be reached at 14000 miles with the probable oil pressure light again. I bought the car with the security of knowing it will get serviced annually and not every 4 months. I have forwarded my findings to Mazda UK. I wait with baited breath for their response. (Note that I commute 100miles daily at an average speed of 48mph and am getting 42mpg. This gets better as the fuel dilution gets worse!!!!) Thinner Oil etc

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - IainM
I had exactly the same problem last week,garage changed oil and filter and "regenerated" car,cost me £202 and still under warranty!!Told me I was not driving the car the right way,I should have read my manual,looked at manual,and cannot find anything about regeneration!!Wouldn't advise anyone to buy diesel,until mazda admits there is a problem!!
Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - TR7
I had the same problem with a 2008 Focus 1.6tdci . I do approx 800 mies a week so should be perfect for dpf. I'm afraid that was not the case. I now drive a petrol avensis.
Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Galad

I've been following with great interest the ongoing debate about the reliability of modern diesels, especially the issue of driving styles to keep the DPF from misbehaving. Why don't manufacturers fit an indicator light that tells the driver that a regeneration is taking place so that the revs can be kept high enough for the process to complete?

Why don't manufacturers fit an indicator light that tells the driver that a regeneration is taking place so that the revs can be kept high enough for the process to complete?

Couldn't agree more, and why not, for the more technically minded driver, have a DPF analysis/regenerate feature in the menu, enabling the driver who knows (better than the car) that he's about to drive for 60 miles, to see what condition the DPF is in and have the facility to regenerate on demand.

This won't be much use for manypeople, some of whom can't even manage to check their engine oil level, but would be a useful feature for many, and would possibly put DPF equipped Diesel cars back on some of our shopping lists, OK Mazda excepted..;)

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - madf

This won't be much use for manypeople, some of whom can't even manage to check their engine oil level, but would be a useful feature for many, and would possibly put DPF equipped Diesel cars back on some of our shopping lists, OK Mazda excepted..;)

NOOOOO

Suppose you ignore the warning and park. And then the cat blocks up.. The maker upon analysis could blame you for stopping driving when a regen was taking place..

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - skidpan

NOOOOO

Suppose you ignore the warning and park. And then the cat blocks up.. The maker upon analysis could blame you for stopping driving when a regen was taking place..

I would love a warning light but since the charisteristics of the engine change (note and rough idle) and the instant mpg drops like a stone its actually pretty easy to spot. If you ignore the warning light and park up then its your problem for ignoring the instructions in the handbook. In truth although we try and let a regen complete before turning off the engine sometimes its simply not possible or convenient to keep driving. Under those circumstances th regen restarts on the next trip, sometimes the one after that but we have never had an issue.

Manufacturers cannot make cars idiot proof simply because there are too many idiots and they are incredibly resourceful in finding new ways to make problems for themselves.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - RT

I would love a warning light but since the charisteristics of the engine change (note and rough idle) and the instant mpg drops like a stone its actually pretty easy to spot.

As a result of driving for too many decades I have 9.9 mechanical empathy, on a scale from 1-10, but cannot tell when my Hyundai Santa Fe is running differently so might be doing a regen despite several teliing me it's obvious - perhaps I drive it hard enough often enough that it's never done an active regen in 40,000 miles.

perhaps I drive it hard enough often enough that it's never done an active regen in 40,000 miles.

Doesn't work like that. All manufacturers programme in the active regen every few hundred miles because of the simple fact many owners never use their cars in an environment where passive regens can take place.

Take our Kia Ceed as an example. Until recently the wifes commute was 19 miles each way of which 15 miles was on the M1 at a time of day when she rarely had traffic issues and could cruise at 70 mph. She also visted her mother every couple of weeks, another 40 miles each way mostly on the M1 in decent traffic. The car still did an active regen every 250 miles. Now the use has changed and other than shopping and taking the dog to the woods the cars goes to her mothers every couple of weeks, guess what, it does an active regen every 250 miles.

And driving a car "hard" does not stop it from doing regens. Its just an old urban myth propogated by people who did the "Italian Tune Up" in the 60's. Regens are controlled by sensors and the ECU and not your right foot.

perhaps I drive it hard enough often enough that it's never done an active regen in 40,000 miles.

Doesn't work like that. All manufacturers programme in the active regen every few hundred miles because of the simple fact many owners never use their cars in an environment where passive regens can take place.

And driving a car "hard" does not stop it from doing regens. Its just an old urban myth propogated by people who did the "Italian Tune Up" in the 60's. Regens are controlled by sensors and the ECU and not your right foot.

Active or passive regens ?

It's got the sensors, why doesn't the system just use them and only do an ACTIVE regen if necessary. Why have any fixed cycle ACTIVE regens.

Spot on skid pan.

The problem CX-5's were not those doing short trips, but any trip, of any duration.

The oil rise was a result of too short a timed period between regens. A remap of the ECU adjusted the time, so regens were less often, and they was also a recall for a exhaust sensor which was failing, a new designed sensor was fitted.

Very very few owners still report oil rise issues.

Dont take my word for it monitor the Aussie whirlpool forum, and the USA mazda 247 forum.

Indication isn't required really as it works normally unnoticed, one way to detect a regent is to view the instantaneous mpg

read out.

If a regent is interrupted its no big deal.

My cx-5 has no oil rise problem, does only short journeys mainly, and has only covered 3k miles since July.

It does the same driveing as my previous PDF xtrail, again over 4.5 years, zero PDF issues, and no oil rise problems.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - SteveLee

If your engine blew up and you supplied receipts from a non-dealer franchise specifiying the wrong oil grade for the car - I have no doubt that Mazda (or anyone else) would worm their way out of the warranty claim - however they can supply a car with a DPF generation system that, by definition, dilutes the engine oil with fuel oil - and somehow that's alright? What a crazy situation! I've no doubt your engine has already sustained life-shortening damage to it from the low oil pressure - modern engine oil is thin enough already without it being diluted like this!

modern engine oil is thin enough already without it being diluted like this!

The thickness of modern engine oil has no bearing on its lubricating qualities. It is "designed" in a way that it works much better than the old 20w 50's of my youth despite being very thin.

But diesel has a very limited lubricating capacity and that is an issue when mixed with engine oil.

Had a Kia and a BMW diesel both with DPF's and over a total of over 70,000 miles we have never seen the level rise in either.

Had a Kia and a BMW diesel both with DPF's and over a total of over 70,000 miles we have never seen the level rise in either.

Some brands seem more affected than others - some Volvos had major issues with fuel dilution of the oil but they weren't the only ones. The dilution occurs during active DPF regeneration when some of the extra fuel injected gets past the piston ring seal into the sump.

Volvo's "cure" was to instruct dealers and owners not to fill the sump more than half way between min-max and alter the ECU programming to reduce the anount of extra fuel added and reduce the frequency of active DPF regenerations as some of these are unneccessary if enough passive regenerations are done, ie driven hard enough long enough often enough.

IMO, active regenerations should by the ECU if, and only if, the DPF is starting to block shown by a differential pressure on it's sensors - the concept from any manufacturer that active regeration will take place at set intervals regardless of the dPF condition is preposterous.

modern engine oil is thin enough already without it being diluted like this!

The thickness of modern engine oil has no bearing on its lubricating qualities. It is "designed" in a way that it works much better than the old 20w 50's of my youth despite being very thin.

But diesel has a very limited lubricating capacity and that is an issue when mixed with engine oil.

I know. Modern engines are manufactured with such fine tolerances that oil pressure can be maintained with thin oil, ie the oil is not flung out of the big ends faster than it can be replaced - this is the primary reason older engines require thicker oil, if oil becomes thin enough through diesel contamination the same problem will face modern cars, the rate at which the oil is pumped will not be sufficient to replace what's being flung out of the big end journals due to centrifugal forces, which is probably what happened to the poster's car.

Having a DPF isn't the issue, the method of regeneration is and the above post is obviously aimed at the Mazdas which have creeping oil level issues due to failed regens. The fact that the dipstick required the 'x' mark is a tacit admission that there is a fundamental design fault.

Link not working for me HJ

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Avant

Sorry - that's software for you. But you can find all the running reports by going to Reviews aty the top of this page, then Our Cars.

Cheers Avant

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - daveyK_UK

Well, this may dissapoint some of you car snobs but the Fiat Doblo van and MPV car version has a light which luminates when the DPF regen is taking place.

Its design to alert the driver to continue driving and if use higher revs.

Furthermore, the car version/van version comes with a seperate handbook all about the DPF and how it works; Fiat also go to the trouble of additional labels on new delivery around the steering columnt a sort of small quick 'how it works' DPF guide.

I assume its the same in the latest Vauxhall Combo Van (a Doblo with a different badge) and equivelent Opel Combo MPV sold on mainland Europe?

Its a half decent vehicle as well, not that many people give MPV car based vans the time of day.

Thats a well done to fiat.

I also had a engine oil level indicator om my last car a xtrail, very useful. Don't get that on the Mazda.

Thats a well done to fiat.

Indeed, couldn't be simpler, the only improvement would be the ability to 'trigger' a regen when you know that you're in the middle of a long drive, something the car at present doesn't know...(give it time, a pre drive plan can't be ruled out from our comrade apparatchiks.)

Far better than looking for the clues of losing a small percentage of power, and simultaneously keeping one eye glued on the instant fuel consumption to guess a regen is happening.

Classic Fiat with its inconsistent approach to cars

The Doblo can version comes with a full spare wheel and the holding cage under the vehicle as standard on all models

The MPV Car version comes with the pathetic blow up and re-seal kit

You can order a spare wheel on a new Doblo MPV car as an option

But if you go to purchase a sparewheel and associated cage from the dealership to retro-fit one to your car, they will tell you its not possible to order one or fit one despite the fitting holes already being in place, etc

You have to give them a Registration plate from a van to order the spare wheel, fitting kit and cage.

And suprisingly, it fits perfectly.

People have tried to explain this daft situation to Fiat UK (its the same situation with the Qubo van (has spare as standard) and Qubo MPV car(officially no retro fit option to replace blow up kit)) but they are not interested.

Why are service managers so incompetent?
If Computer says NO , its NO. Common sense is not permitted.

I must admit, Fiat dealers are particulary bad.
Its taken alot of trial and error to find a half decent one in Scotland.

One of my customers in Liverpool did chuckle after his local Fiat dealer sent him a letter to advertise how they are now under new management and it has greatly improved despite it being owned by the same Stonacre franchise group.

Needless to say, good Fiat dealers are hard to find.
It lets the brand down.
I presume it must affect Alfa Romeo sales as well with poor customer retention.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 27/12/2013 at 09:47

My local MOT teser - who doubles as a whizz on car diagnostics - has the same opinion of Fiats as he has of French cars...

The wod "high" does not appear in that opinion - and verbatim it is unprintable...

I cant work Fiat out

sometimes elements of their products are brilliant, other times they appear clueless and designed to fail

Seems that there are issues in Australia with rising oil levels in new Mazda diesels.

Given Mazda's past history, anyone who buys a Mazda diesel is very brave - and rather dumb in my view.. or just expects to be lucky.

Just dumb or foolhardy. Bravery would require a considered course of action.

Another two who can't be bothered to read all the posts.

Edited by xtrailman on 28/12/2013 at 19:00

I cant work Fiat out

sometimes elements of their products are brilliant, other times they appear clueless and designed to fail

But whwn VAG or Mercedes design things to fail - they're swept under the carpet, over the last 10 years Fiat diesels have been a damn site more reliable with far fewer design faults than VAG ones and at least FIAT have the excuse that they are designing cars to a budget where as VAG cars are sold at a premium to mug badge-snobs.

Edited by SteveLee on 29/12/2013 at 00:53

2.5 million timing chains to replace on VAG cars in their latest recall but they are good dependable cars.

http://www.thelocal.de/20131228/audi-to-invest-billions-in-new-technology

Some of the comments are very good.

2.5 million timing chains to replace on VAG cars in their latest recall but they are good dependable cars.

Yet another major VAG design fault to add to the already extensive list.

Latest update on my Mazda CX5 175 bhp Sport Nav. Well the plot thickens. In November I had to have my firts service at 7500miles due to the oil pressure light illuminating and the car requiring full oil change etc. I am extremely annoyed that my services have been reduced to this new period due to the fuel dilution issue etc. I wrote a letter to complain to Mazda UK who have since paid for my first service. This is still worrying as I have now commenced to monitor the oil level rise on a spreadsheet. The oild level appears to be increasing at a rate of 10mm per 2000 miles which is not good and may mean my next service will be at 15000 miles or less. I commute every day in the car at a round trip of 100miles using poart motorway and A roads etc. I am getting around 42 MPG which is good and I never drive above 2000 rpm. It will be interesting what will happen in the new year as Mazda UK have informed me that there is a further recall with respect to the oil pressure warning light. Is this just to move the sensing margin to a lower pressure who knows???

and I never drive above 2000 rpm.

Perhaps this is why the regens are failing - the car isn't driven hard enough to achieve the required exhaust gas temperatures.

You need to reject the car, or demand a new engine.

My car has no oil rise level at around 3.7K miles, doing only short trips, very little motorway, and around 90% driving under 2K revs, typically 1250 to 1500 rpm is typical for this engine.

Your car is obviously faulty.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - kiwichas

If active regen is taking place the "I-Stop" light will go out on my Mazda 6 2.2.And the indicated fuel consumption will rise at the same time.

It has done 2 active regens in it's first 460km!, mainly short running but has done longer higher speed trips where the passive regen should have taken place.

Have not had the car long enough to detect any rising fuel level.

I wonder if this frequency will damage the DPF in the long run??, and what actually determines the regen frequency??

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 02/01/2014 at 20:32

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - dieselnut

' I commute every day in the car at a round trip of 100miles using poart motorway and A roads etc. I am getting around 42 MPG which is good and I never drive above 2000 rpm. '

Your driving cycle seems ideal & keeping down to 2000RPM should give optimum fuel consumption. If I drive my 2l Passat in that way I get in excess of 60mpg.

I realise your car probably has permanent 4WD & is taller, so less aerodynamic, but should return at least 50MPG driven as you say.

I think Mazda have linked the fuel level sensor via software to activate the oil pressure warning when the level rises, due to drivers taking more notice of this than a warning message of 'Service Now' .

It seems to me that your engine is doing far too many regens than should be necessary, so would suspect there is a faulty sensor somewhwere used by the DPF system to determine regens. That woukd also explain your poor MPG.

There has been a recall for the early cx-5 to replace one of the two sensors across the DPF.

Its a new design, the old one was being damaged on the face with the exhaust gases.

Along with a ECU update to reduce the timed regens, a modified dipstick was also installed.

A similar mod was applied to the 2.0 MZER-CD engine. The dipstick mod appeared to be a lower overall engine running level zone and a higher "X" mark.

As a sceptic, I would suggest that this does not "cure" the issue of fuel dilution occuring but is aimed at decreasing the frequency of cars' oil levels reaching the critical (and higher) "X" mark, therefore masking the problem and hopefully allowing necessary oil changes to be subsumed into the servicing routine (where the owner will stand the cost of labour and oil, rather than the dealer/OEM paying out as defect rectification).

Whether running with a potentailly diluted lubricant for longer periods will have any effect on engine longevity is open to discussion. Without an input from Mazda to explain the tolerances to which they work we cannot say for sure.

Whether running with a potentailly diluted lubricant for longer periods will have any effect on engine longevity is open to discussion. Without an input from Mazda to explain the tolerances to which they work we cannot say for sure.

If I, or any other contributor, maliciously suggested that the way to save money on oil changes was by adding 2 litres of diesel and putting less oil in - then we'd rightly expect to get run out of town.

Any manufacturer who thinks that's an adequate solution needs running out of town as well.

It doesn't save money on oil changes, just allocates the cost to the consumer rather than supplier.

Again, this is just a theory as to why a longer dipstick and fewer (ie less frequent) regenerations would make any sense to anyone.

My point about the tolerances that Mazda work to, is to suggest that maybe Mazda engineers feel that the oil will still have adequate lubricating properties when diluted with fuel, to this degree, it's all about "wants" and "haves" in the components.

I would suggest that very few people are sure of what percentage fuel dilution that they are running around with in any diesel car. The old mantra that "my car doesn't use a drop of oil between services" may indicate that fuel dilution is making up for the consumed oil, the viscosity is not an absolute indication of lubricity.

I would suggest that very few people are sure of what percentage fuel dilution that they are running around with in any diesel car. The old mantra that "my car doesn't use a drop of oil between services" may indicate that fuel dilution is making up for the consumed oil, the viscosity is not an absolute indication of lubricity.

There will inevitably be fuel dilution of the oil in every engine - unlike petrols it won't evaporate off at normal temperatures - however, diesels were quite happy on 20,000 mile change intervals before DPFs came in

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - bazza

The whole concept of over-injection of diesel with its consequent oil dilution and all that it brings seems completely wrong to me. Presumably it is an interim "fix" only and manufacturers will engineer a better solution in time, seeing as DPFs are here to stay. But I don't know that, only assuming! What is the latest thinking on this? I know some French engines use the catalyst (Eolys) principle - is this a better solution?

With Euro 6, there is also the NOx problem and further catalytic reduction required. I dread to think of the problems this will shortly foist onto the owners of 3 to 10 year old diesels in the future.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Armitage Shanks {p}

Euro 6 will not/cannot be aplied to cars already on the road SFAIK

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - bazza

Euro 6 will not/cannot be aplied to cars already on the road SFAIK...

None of them are retrospective, I was speculating on future ownership prospects for future owners of Euro 6 diesels. Next year onwards I believe.

The CX-5 diesel is already euro 6.

The petrol euro 5.

The CX-5 diesel is already euro 6.

The petrol euro 5.

There is no change in requirements for petrol engines between Euro 5 and 6

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Armitage Shanks {p}

Euro 4 is no problem to my 10 year old 306 diesel, why should euro 6 be a problem, in the future, for cars designed to comply with it?

Euro 4 is no problem to my 10 year old 306 diesel, why should euro 6 be a problem, in the future, for cars designed to comply with it?

Because diesel engines will need much more complex equipment to meet the new Euro 6 than ever they did for Euro 4.

Comparing the two sets of regulations, a Euro 4 diesel is allowed nearly 2x the amount of HC+NOx, over 3x the amount of NOx and 5x the amount of particulate matter

Euro 6 will surely usher in a price increase for all diesel engine vehicles.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - glenroe
Yes. I have just had this problem. Oil light came on. I pulled up and let sit. Checked oil level and was ok. At top mark on dipstick. After 6weeks same happened again and oil level was now up at X on dipstick. Called Mazda assist and was told oil and filter needed changed. After haggling with dealer they eventually agreed to do free. Mazda assist guy said that this can happen to these engines. Diesel pumping into sump. Not great for confidence in car

When you had the oil light up why didn't you have it towed to the garage? If the oil pump was faulty or just the oil pressure switch, you could have caused engine damage.

Make sure Mazda foot the bill for the early oil change, same as they had done in Austraila for those who had problems before the recall.

Doubt very much your 10 year old Peugeot is Euro 4. Euro 4 was introduced 01 January 2005 for new models and January 2006 for existing models. We had a Euro 3 Focus that was registered december 2005, the dealer was desperate to sell the cars, if they were not sold by 31 December it was pre-reg or crush, got a cracking deal.

Very difficult to buy a Euro car in 2004 before it was introduced.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Mr Jessam

A bit late to the disucssion and wish I had serched this earlier. I have a CX5 diesel auto got it last January and is currently back in the garage for the 5th time for the same fault and each time I am given excuses. I hve done 46,000 miles in the past year and as you can guess most of it is motorway. On Monday it lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost power whilst doing 50 on a dual carriage way. Strange thing was engine didn't cut out, just idled with no acceleration. I have suggested the garage take it out the back and shoot it and put both of us out of our misery. Shame because when it works its a nice car.

Is the repeat fault the lights coming up, or rising oil levels?

Have a look on this site to see if any other owner is having your problem.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?294-Mazda-CX-5-Forum

Quick update, it is now the 20th February and the car is still in the garage. All that appears to be happening are photographs being sent from the dealer to Mazda.
Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - oldroverboy.
Quick update, it is now the 20th February and the car is still in the garage. All that appears to be happening are photographs being sent from the dealer to Mazda.

What a terrible SHAME for the owner having to put up with the actions of Mazda and the dealer. I mean, all those miles in a year and still problems.

No wonder I'm off diesels for life!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 20/02/2014 at 17:57

Is the problem that Mazda do not have a real solution or cure?

Mazda dont seem to be advanced as the likes of Renault with their diesel technology.

Well it is now the 28th March and I still haven't had the car back, originally went in on the 28th January. Apparantly a total of 27 parts have been ordered to fix the problem with the engine including injectors. Parts having been coming into the UK at various times of the month but still not fixed. Lst call today I was told some seald were missing and I might have it back next week, heard that before. In the menatime I am driving a round in a automatic Galaxy paid for by Mazda as they don't have Mazdas as courtesy/hire cars. Never again will I get a Mazda

Edited by Mr Jessam on 28/03/2014 at 14:58

Has Mazda said what your problem was, and what the cure is?

Haven't explained at all what the problem was, just that it has needed new injectors and lots of other bits. Have been told I should get it back next weekend. Will ask for a full report on what was wrong at what the fix was, so hopefully will post on here next week.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Wackyracer

Doubt very much your 10 year old Peugeot is Euro 4. Euro 4 was introduced 01 January 2005 for new models and January 2006 for existing models. We had a Euro 3 Focus that was registered december 2005, the dealer was desperate to sell the cars, if they were not sold by 31 December it was pre-reg or crush, got a cracking deal.

Very difficult to buy a Euro car in 2004 before it was introduced.

Peugeot started production of euro 4 engines in 2001, Just because the law did not require them to be sold until 2005 does not mean they did not exist before that date!

to quote "Peugeot said its DPF technology – badged FAP – has evolved since introduction in 2001 and was now in its third generation. The system is standard on all 2001-built Euro 4 models as well as newer cars."

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - csgmart

(Note that I commute 100miles daily at an average speed of 48mph and am getting 42mpg. This gets better as the fuel dilution gets worse!!!!) Thinner Oil etc

Good for you but probably a ticking time bomb for the next owner...

Peugeot started production of euro 4 engines in 2001, Just because the law did not require them to be sold until 2005 does not mean they did not exist before that date

It was not a legal requirement to fit DPFs to all cars in 2005. Euro 4 became law on 01 January 2006 and at this time some cars were stilkl able to pass without DPF's. Take casr fitted with the PSA 1.6 turbo diesel, the 90 PS models never had a DPF under Euro 4 whereas the 110 PS models did.

Another example was Kia. The Ceed 1.6 CRDi did not require a DPF until Euro 5 regs became law on 01 January 2011. The Ceed 2.0 CRDi did require a DPF under Euro 4 but would not pass Euro 5 ven with a DPF and was quietly dropped form the range.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - lambada

Is this thread about the same 2.2 150 PS diesel engine available on the 2014 Mazda 3?

Hi Lambada, mind is the 2.2.175ps and it is still in the garage and has been since the end of January. Mazda have paid for a hire car through Enterprise problem is I have had six different cars as they keep changing them every few weeks.All lower spec than mine. Wouldn't get another Mazda.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - lambada

Don't blame you for not wanting another Mazda considering what you're going through. I've ruled out the diesel following advice I got on another thread. Let's hope you'll have your CX-5 back soon.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - JOHNSPEARSON34

mazda 6 sport 2008 2000cc diesel.

Bought the car to save money on fuel and traded in a Civic type r 2007 which I had no probs with. Bought it mainly on looks and based on road tests and crucially for more MPG yes what a fool I am!!!!! Should have known better as I never trusted the RX8 that I had which was reliable but I simply never trusted it.

Anyway heres my story...

Went to buy some stock from Cheetam Hill approx 13 miles from where I live which is Partington as I got near deatination the DPF light was flashing but car was driving fine so wasnt overly concerned.

On the return journey I came off the m60 was in 2nd or third gear when the car began to accellerate on its own at maximum revs looked at my feet took foot off accellerator and the car was still accellerating put clutch down and coasted to a set of lights approx 800m down the road revs still at what I recall as being maximum,

Forgot to mention the clouds of thick black smoke pouring out of the exhaust.

Car stalled and then restarted now sounds very very rough as if the big ends have gone but doesnt have the grumble underfoot.

Checked oil and that is approx 1inch above the max level and definately has a huge amount of diesel in.

Oil pressure light isnt on.

When starting up the car sounds rough and stinks of diesel,

My questions are and am hoping there are a few mazda techs on here

1. The rough running could this be down to the oil being so diluted that it makes the engine sound rough?

2.Has anyone heard of these accellerating on their own?

3.As the oil pressure light isnt on is their a chance the big ends are still ok

4.Should I get oil changed and let the car run and see if it smoothes out and uitens down

5.Sell as spares repair and if anyone has an in idea of a value for one of these with a shot engine I know the crusher will give 300.00 but am presuming that out there there must be some one with an accident damaged one who could do with a mint shell

6 Should I selll and get as much as I can for parts i.e

mirrors 50

wheels 400

cylinder head 400

turbo 250

interior 300

stereo 140

bonnet 100

wings 50

doors 50

airbags 100

am no expert on prices but think in parts I woud get a lot back from what I paid am not rich so even repair at the moment is prohibitive.

and yes I certainly wont ever entertain getting another Mazda there are many cars out there that although older would cost considerably less and be far more reliable BMW e46 330 325 5 series with 3.0 petrol engine and much more.

My gut feeling is the engine is knackered but it would be interesting to know if the engine sounds really rough when the oil is diluted massively.

Have bought a cheap runner as needed a car for work so will be looking at options over next few weeks.

To the person who put (should have read reviews) for earlier comments a quick search gives reasonable reviews of the mazda 6 it is only when you do detailed searches that the problems materialise.

My views on cars have been built of over many years approx 30 when I used to read evry car mag under the sun and due to this I have biased if not outdated views on cars and that they shouldnt go wrong not to this extreme anyway in fact a review of a mazda 5 springs to mind in the 80s where they ran the car for i think for 1 million miles on mobil 1 and then stripped the engine and it had miminal wear unfortunately these things make you think that they would have improved things from there even more just unfortunate they havent

any advice would be truly appreciatted many thanks john

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Manatee

Sounds as if the car started to run on its own oil, as per HJ's explanation here

goo.gl/BZc2QT

Drain and refill with oil and see what it's like. Quite likely knackered by your description. I wouldn't run it at all as it is for fear of a repeat performance that could finish it off.

I've a Mitsubishi Outlander that works the same way. Oil level increases between services. You can be sure I check the level regularly regularly.

With Mazda DPF engines you should check for rising oil levels weekly.

Just had my CX-5 serviced at 7K miles the oil level was around 6 to 8mm above full, way short of the danger level marked with a X.

I do 90% local driving.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - anchorman
The biggest problem with DPFs is not the oil but the fuel. Stop using supermarket fuel and stick with branded fuel - preferably high grade or "super" diesel. Admittedly it is about 8p a litre more expensive but it is loaded with additives and detergent to reduce the amount of carbon build up in the engine and exhaust. If the engine stays clean the DPF won't regenerate as often or for as long and the dilution won't occur.

Once a month when the engine is hot, wind the revs well up for about a minute by holding it in a lower gear. This should preferably be done up a good hill. Don't red line it and don't take any risks. The pressure build up during this exercise will help purge the filter without getting to the regen stage.

Sorry to disapoint you but you are totally wrong.

We have had 2 diesels with DPF's which have been run more or less exclusively on supermarket fuel. No problems with either, they regen when needed (about every 250 to 300 miles) regarless of which fuel happens to be in the car. The poor Mazda DPF design cannot be cured using different fuel. The system allows excess fuel into the sump during a regen and since the car has no idea what brand you have in it does not give branded types special treatment.

As for building up revs once a month I have no idea what gave you taht idea. Teh particles a DPF collects form the exhaust of a car are chemically bonded to the matrix inside the DPF. Reving the car cannot shift these particles, only a regen when the DPF is heated to 600 degrees does that and an owner acnnot trigger the process. The ECU decides when one is due.

If you could just blow the soot out there would be no point having a DPF in teh foirst place.

Anchor man you havent got a clue, i suggest you read the entire thread, or just skidpans.

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - NortonDomi

Have you an update ?

Mazda CX-5 - Diesel in oil - Phil of Cilcain

Our CX5 Diesel Sport auto was built in mid 2014. If I'd seen all these reports before buying I might have looked elsewhere, but so far we have had no engine problems. Most journies are 7-10 miles, some longer and we get around 46mpg.

I have however noticed that the gaiters have failed on the front shock absorbers (15,000mls) and the vehicles is about to go to the main dealer for an appraisal. New gaiters or complete new shocks? Will the old shocks have been damaged by ingress of grit and salt water? Should I be insisting on complete new shocks?

It's a great car to drive, hope reliability problems won't spoil things.