Skoda Octavia DSG diesel 2010 - VW DSG box spigot bearing failed - Paul_L

HI. I have had a massive bill for a DSG box rebuild about 1000 miles after having the mechatronic board changed on the same car by a main dealer. The car is covered by a Warranty Direct warranty but they have refused to pay out saying the spigot bearing failing is 'wear and tear'. The car has done over 100,000 miles.

I am inviting views on:

1. Did the whole box have to come out to change the mechatronic unit? They charged as if it did in which case should they have changed the spigot bearing as a matter of course? Could they have damaged it in removing/replacing the box?

2. Is failure of the spigot bearing 'wear and tear'?

Edited by Paul_L on 04/09/2013 at 12:50

Skoda Octavia DSG diesel 2010 - VW DSG box spigot bearing failed - madf

2. Yes 100k miles is lots of wear.

1. No idea.

Audi/VW are a law unto themselves...

Skoda Octavia DSG diesel 2010 - VW DSG box spigot bearing failed - 659FBE

Spigot bearing failure is almost certainly a result of the removal and replacement of the gearbox in a mis-aligned state. VAG use needle roller bearings in this position which will not tolerate poor assembly. Typically, some mechanics allow the weight of the transmission to hang on the bearing at an angle when removing or refitting. This breaks the needles.

Two lessons:

Choose your mechanic carefully. I have found VAG main dealers extremely poor, established independents good.

Extended warranties are a waste of time and money.

There will not be a painless resolution to this problem.

I suspect you are right regarding the pain.

The people who finally fixed the box said that Warratny Direct rarely pay out. Often hiding behind 'wear and tear'. They said WMS were better which is good to know for the future.

Thanks for the info re damaging the spigot bearing. I did this myself once on a Ford Cortina when I didn't have a trolley jack. Taught me a lesson but I wanted to hear someone else say it before I go back to the first dealer. I dare say I will get nowhere but I can at least give them some grief answering my letters.

Found this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trhfvm5aJAY

Not sure what the car is but shows the mechatronic unit being changed without taking the box off. I think I have been ripped off twice. First garage charged me 10 hours to change the mechatronic box.

Skoda Octavia DSG diesel 2010 - VW DSG box spigot bearing failed - RN1967
It doesn’t take an hour to remove a mechatronic and possibly less to refit it. The oil will take up to an hour to get right level & temperature. The problem with many workshops is soon as they start the job on your car, they keep running the clock even whilst waiting on something such as drain oil, or run engine up to temperature to check gearbox oil level for example. I see this as wrong.